PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about changing MOS

Firefox
03-25-08, 08:49 PM
Well here it is I was thinking about changing my MOS from 02xx (Intel) to 18xx (Armor Crewman). What does everyone think Thanks in advance.

JJA1990
03-25-08, 09:02 PM
I think if that is what you want to do, you truly understand what you are doing by switching, and your recruiter has given his fair opinion-then go for it.

Firefox
03-25-08, 09:43 PM
I have not talked to my recruiter about it yet as I just thought about it today is this a bad thing to be changing my career field just like that.

JJA1990
03-25-08, 10:20 PM
I have not talked to my recruiter about it yet as I just thought about it today is this a bad thing to be changing my career field just like that.

Is it a bad thing? No, I dont think so. Again, I certainly dont know it all.. but I think from what I've read its a ton better to switch your MOS around now, then after you have been trained in something else. Know what I mean? Right now to switch you is just paperwork.. Otherwise, it might not be so easy.

Alas, you probably should get more then just my opinion though.. lol

Firefox
03-25-08, 10:29 PM
I thank you for your opinion and I value it that is why I created this thread but yes some other opinions will help me too.

zackmerc
03-25-08, 10:45 PM
I'd do it. But there's a big chance you'll end up in 29 Palms.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 12:48 AM
In my own opinion i think that would be a very unwise decision. For this reason, right now the retention pay for Intel guys is very very high. Reason being, if you get out of the Marine Corps as a competent Intel Marine, there is a LOT of money to be made doing the same thing you do in the Marine Corps, in the civilian sector. Now, there isn't a lot of call for civilian armored vehicle jobs around. My advice is think about long term, as well as short term. Would it be cool to roll around in an armored vehicle, rockin a 20 mike mike cannon on top. Yes. Would it be cool to get out and have no real job to do. No. Thats my two cents, do with it what you will.

cfranco89
03-26-08, 11:36 AM
I agree that there is huge money to be made in the civial world after the Corps. Most intel jobs I have heard of are over 6 figures easily.

OB MSG
03-26-08, 11:43 AM
I concur with MotG. You may get the "cool" job now, but in the long run it may come back to bite you. Get a description of both, then get a list of the civilian jobs that correspond to them. Put the two next to each other and also write out the Pros/Cons of each. Think long and hard about each then go with your heart, but at least have an educated reason to back it up.

But also think long term....:thumbup:

Good luck!

jinelson
03-26-08, 11:58 AM
by OB MSG - I concur with MotG. You may get the "cool" job now, but in the long run it may come back to bite you. Get a description of both, then get a list of the civilian jobs that correspond to them. Put the two next to each other and also write out the Pros/Cons of each. Think long and hard about each then go with your heart, but at least have an educated reason to back it up.

But also think long term....

Good luck!

Good knowlege conveyed brother and well said!

Jim

jetdoc
03-26-08, 03:42 PM
I agree with what some of the others said...don't do it. If you qualified for Intel then I'd stay with it...think of your future. You're going to give Uncle Sam X amount of years of your life, in return you get maybe a profession....I'm thinking Intel can get you a higher paying job when you get out than an 18XX MOS.

I qualified for Aviation and in bootcamp for some stupid reason I thought I wanted to get into another MOS...I went in and talked to my Drill Instructors and they heard me, told me I'm nuts, keep my Aviation MOS and get the fvck out of their faces!!!

I'm glad they helped me out, in their own way, lol.

Firefox
03-26-08, 04:07 PM
Thank you everyone for your advice and I have decided that I will stick with Intel, thank you again.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 04:14 PM
You'll be glad you did when your rolling 6 figures deep pup!

jetdoc
03-26-08, 05:45 PM
Yea what MOTG saidl!

Hologram
03-26-08, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it really just depends on what you want to do, both in the Corps and for the rest of your life.

Take me: I want to be a lifelong career devildog so I have no qualms about going infantry or some other combat job that would be useless in the civilian sector. But if you're planning on going for only one enlistment or the 20 years until you can retire with a pension then you'll probably want to think about life after the Corps and how you can set yourself up for success.

Remember, money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys damn near everything else.

jetdoc
03-26-08, 05:52 PM
Michael, thats admirable that you think you want to be a life long Marine however until you have a hitch or two under your belt I'd take it one enlistment at a time at this point.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 05:52 PM
If your 18 now, by the time you retire you'll be 38. STILL YOUNG! Even though you will be retired, you probably will not be able to/want to live just soley off retirement for the remainder of your life. There is life after the Corps, irregardless! Think motivator!

Hologram
03-26-08, 05:54 PM
Michael, thats admirable that you think you want to be a life long Marine however until you have a hitch or two under your belt I'd take it one enlistment at a time at this point.Yes, sir. I realize plans can change, but for now that's my plan.

jetdoc
03-26-08, 06:00 PM
Yes, sir. I realize plans can change, but for now that's my plan.

Thats good you have plans, some young people can't think the future out past their nose.

And whatever your MOS is now if you don't like it and plan on staying in you can always become what we used to call a "re-tread", (go to school and get another MOS)....not sure if that term is used much now?

Hologram
03-26-08, 06:02 PM
Thats good you have plans, some young people can't think the future out past their nose.

And whatever your MOS is if you don't like it and plan on staying in you can always become what we used to call a "re-tread", (go to school and get another MOS)....not sure if that term is used much now?I don't know about the term, but yeah I did know that you can change MOSs. Hell, the senior SNCO at my recruiting office has been through at least three jobs, before he became a recruiter.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 06:06 PM
I don't know about the term, but yeah I did know that you can change MOSs. Hell, the senior SNCO at my recruiting office has been through at least three jobs, before he became a recruiter.

Hey may be talking about "billets" he has filled, not jobs. Usually anyone who has possessed three MOS has either made a lateral movement within his own MOS, or he is including his SNCO mos, which simply means he is a SNCO of his MOS. You technically are only allowed one full-fledged lat move, typically when you re-enlist.

McSweeney
03-26-08, 07:36 PM
Listen up Pilgrim...

Hologram
03-26-08, 08:29 PM
Hey may be talking about "billets" he has filled, not jobs. Usually anyone who has possessed three MOS has either made a lateral movement within his own MOS, or he is including his SNCO mos, which simply means he is a SNCO of his MOS. You technically are only allowed one full-fledged lat move, typically when you re-enlist.Hmm, well I believe that he was tank support, then an actual tanker, then an MP then recruiter.

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 08:36 PM
Hmm, well I believe that he was tank support, then an actual tanker, then an MP then recruiter.

His jobs with tanks would have been an inner MOS lat move, he probably used his re-enlistment to secure a school seat as an MP, and recruiting is a B Billet. The following "jobs" are B Billets ( Drill Instructor, MCT Instructor, Recruiter, MSG, etc) Those are temporary jobs that a Marine can be accepted into, however when he is done with his tour, typically three years, he returns to the fleet as an MP. Make sense?

Hologram
03-26-08, 08:40 PM
His jobs with tanks would have been an inner MOS lat move, he probably used his re-enlistment to secure a school seat as an MP, and recruiting is a B Billet. The following "jobs" are B Billets ( Drill Instructor, MCT Instructor, Recruiter, MSG, etc) Those are temporary jobs that a Marine can be accepted into, however when he is done with his tour, typically three years, he returns to the fleet as an MP. Make sense?Yeah, I knew that recruiting was a B billet, but I didn't know that tanker and tank support would be in the same field. Like one would be a mechanic field and the other would be the actual Tank/LAV field.

Learn something new every day.