PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hood suffers largest loss of life in the Iraq War

thedrifter
03-25-08, 07:12 AM
Fort Hood suffers largest loss of life in the Iraq War

Updated: Mar 24, 2008 6:41pm
Less than a week after the 5th anniversary of the start of the Iraq War the number of American casualties has reached 4,000.

Over the past 5 years 436 soldiers stationed at Fort Hood have lost their lives fighting in Iraq. That's 100 more than any other American military installation.

"Every life is precious, and we mourn each and every loss we incur.

We don't dwell on the numbers, but the world can't help but be diminished every time we lose a soldier." III Corps Spokesperson Diane Battaglia said.

Anti-war activist Tammara Rosenleaf is married to a 4th Infantry Division soldier who served in Iraq. Even though her husband made it home safely she says she mourns for other's sacrifice.

"I prayed he would survive and everyday he did survive, I felt such horrible guilt because someone else's family got that call, knock on the door and not mine."

"Everyone is feeling the affects of this war, financially, emotionally and everything." Killeen resident Justin Jones said.

As the United States begins its 6th year at war and families celebrate the return of the 1st Cavalry Division Fort Hood leaders say there is still more work to be done.

"We've got our 4th Infantry Division soldiers and our 41st Fires Brigades preparing to go back to Iraq and fight that war on terror." Battaglia said.

A war, that some have paid for, with their lives. If you look at the number of casualties by state, California has suffered the biggest lost of life 426. Texas is second with 371 deaths.

Ellie