PDA

View Full Version : Valley Marines angry with new Hollywood film

thedrifter
03-25-08, 07:03 AM
Valley Marines angry with new Hollywood film
Reported by: Kathryn Garcia
Email: kgarcia@abc15.com
Last Update: 3/24 9:43 pm

A new controversial movie called “Stop-Loss” set to hit theaters this weekend has met with controversy in the wake of the Iraq War death toll reaching 4,000.

The movie starring Ryan Phllippe profiles a soldier returning from Iraq only to be sent back on the last day of his contract which is a military practice referred to as stop-loss.

Marines Eugene Trimm and Jared Martin disagree with the movie's negative stance taken on stop loss saying everyone is told the conditions of their contract and that military personnel can be sent to a war zone at any time during their active and inactive terms.

But both do agree going back would be returning to one of the most frightening times of their lives.

"I wouldn't like it," Trimm said. "I'd probably be scared out of my mind again. But it's something that I put myself on and signed my name to before I did it. I knew what I was getting myself into. All the recruiters tell you."

Martin said when the military sends troops who see their contracts expire while on-duty in a war zone they compensate them $100 a day.

"I think they should man up and defend their country" Martin said. "I'm out and I still have two years of inactive duty and I still have two years of work."

Ellie