PDA

View Full Version : 03xx lateral move to Security Forces

Bazzard
03-24-08, 12:33 PM
Now I wanted to do Security Forces MOS but my recruiter was not able to find me that MOS instead I was offered Infantry which was perfectly fine because I was looking forward to the 2 years after Security Forces to maybe be a 0311 (if I was lucky) . If it was any other MOS I would have put my foot down and said

"No I am not leaving till I get the career that is right for me"!

instead I told him if it was possible to delay my Shipping out date of course he said "No" but he sold it to me saying that I could make a lateral move 2 years down the road sort of doing a reverse SF contract. So I signed the contract.

Now my question is.
1.Did he just shove a bunch of smoke up my ass?

2. If he didn't is that really a realistic move to make if possible. Meaning is it worth it? Because I was hoping to be the select few to make it into FAST Co. and if it didn't happen the grunt life would have been perfect.

3. Is it to late to say "rip off my contract I am not leaving till I get what I want"

BR34
03-24-08, 12:44 PM
1. I don't know, but my guess would be yes.
2. I'm just a lowly LCpl, but the only Marines I personally know changing MOSs are doing so while reenlisting. Not sure how the billet switching from 03xx to whatever Security Forces billet goes.
3. You only signed a contract into the DEP. Not into active duty Marine Corps. That contract is signed when you go to MEPS the day you ship out. This is the next four years of YOUR life. If you don't think you are going to be happy with the choice you're about to make, change MOSs while you still have a chance. Don't take the gig and then end up another unhappy ****bird Marine complaining about everything.

Messenger
03-24-08, 01:04 PM
Lateral moves are possible, however they are extremely unlikely during your first enlistment. If you want a specific job then hold out for that job. DO NOT enlist for one expecting that you will latter be able to move to another… its just not going to happen.

Bazzard
03-24-08, 01:05 PM
See I thought it was already too late for that. So that contract I sign for the infantry doesn’t mean I have to ship out . It just means when I sign the contract before I leave at MEPS that , that will be my MOS? Because from another thread I read it said It was possible to delay your shipping date up to a year. So I’m thinking of just telling my staff sergeant. I’m waiting the longest I can before you ship me out and I could care less about the number of guys you have to ship out this month. Then he’ll act like a DI for 10 mins then I’ll just walk away into the sunset

OB MSG
03-24-08, 01:18 PM
If you want to be infantry, then go infantry. If you want to hold out for another MOS (FAST Co.) then tell your recruiter that that's what you want. As BRO said, you only signed into the DEP (Delayed Entry Program). When you take your second oath and sign the paperwork the day you are shipping to Boot then you are locked into the MOS you signed up for.

You should take a parent or another adult that you trust and who's judgement you trust to go talk to the recruiter. When I enlisted they had to win the minds of my parents, I trusted their opinion even though I would eventually make my own choice. You can hold out for as long as you want until you sign that second set of papers, then it's "game on!"

And about Lat moves, yes, more often than not you only get to do that after your first enlistment, not during, (I've never seen one during) and it's usually only if you have the line scores and/or your MOS is closed for re-enlistments.

That's my two cents.

Bazzard
03-24-08, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. Now I feel like I'm on a more even playing field with my recruiter. When I'm in the office it feels like I don't know most of the rules but they do. It’s so one sided. I'm definitely going to hold out knowing I have the right as a Poolee to do so. I can’t believe they told me I had to ship out on that date.

OB MSG
03-24-08, 01:59 PM
No problem, we are here to help. What you decide in reagrd to your Marine Corps career could very well determine the course of your life for a long time. Choose wisely and trust your gut.

Keep us in the loop if you want and we will answer your questions as best we can, or if we can't we'll try to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck!!

Bazzard
03-31-08, 04:10 PM
Well I talk to my staff sergeant at the recruiter office and told him I won’t be leaving till I get my contract to Security Forces. He then showed me on his computers that they will be no opening...

kbs95125
03-31-08, 04:35 PM
If there isn't an opening, then there isn't an opening until October of next year. Obviously he's not trying to bull**** you because he showed you that the opening isn't there.

BR34
03-31-08, 05:15 PM
That's October of THIS year (08).

Just tell him you want the first slot he's got and ship out in October.

kbs95125
03-31-08, 05:24 PM
LCpl is correct. I'm having trouble remembering its 08... Probably because I've been doing 07 taxes all day...

Bazzard
03-31-08, 05:35 PM
He is quite stubborn, he feels that I wasted his time by me getting DEP in and me pulling a stunt like this. He told me he will discharge me if I don’t leave by my ship date because it is unlikely...

BR34
03-31-08, 07:00 PM
Considering he works on a quota, I don't think he'll be too eager to turn you away when push comes to shove. Just stand your ground so that you don't end up disgruntled in 3 years.

Bazzard
03-31-08, 07:25 PM
Considering he works on a quota, I don't think he'll be too eager to turn you away when push comes to shove. Just stand your ground so that you don't end up disgruntled in 3 years.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Will do! The worst that can happen is I'll wait a few months which I can use to prepare myself even more. The Marine Corps will always be there.

Thanks alot Marines.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

JordanB
04-01-08, 12:29 AM
trust me bro u dont want to go sec forces, youll just spend 2 years doing firewatch and come to the fleet as a sgt who dosent know his mos anymore than a pvt.

outlaw3179
04-01-08, 08:19 AM
Why the hell would you want to go SF? Trust me its a glamorized name for
"security guard" . Then you get back to the fleet you might be a NCO not knowing sh*t about the field or basic infantry skills. Have a good time guarding that sub.

Seyborg
04-01-08, 08:53 AM
This is my .02 cents. <br />
<br />
I've had past experience with individuals like this, in the recruiting field. He is NOT bluffing. If you are discharged from the MARINE CORPS. DEP, you will not be allowed...

BR34
04-01-08, 11:14 AM
Oh boy...

outlaw3179
04-01-08, 01:03 PM
lol..wow...damn Seyborg can you please be in my fireteam?

Bazzard
04-01-08, 01:42 PM
Why the hell would you want to go SF? Trust me its a glamorized name for
"security guard" . Then you get back to the fleet you might be a NCO not knowing sh*t about the field or basic infantry skills. Have a good time guarding that sub.

trust me bro u dont want to go sec forces, youll just spend 2 years doing firewatch and come to the fleet as a sgt who dosent know his mos anymore than a pvt.

With all due respect Marines I am looking at my career options after the Marines and I feel that I will be able to obtain double the training with this MOS sort of like a Double Major in college(sorry for the bad analogy). I would like to have the option to do PRP or FAST Co. I know I will need top secret clearance and I know that I will be doing fire watch my entire time there if I don’t make it into either of those programs. I’ve read many threads on people who go SF and there both split on this. Tho’ some say what you said you become an anchor to your quad people also say the vice versa. I feel it all depends on the individual. If you go in there with this " I’ve been there done there , I’m better then you crap" you’ll fail anywhere however, if you go balls to the walls, go in there with an open mind ready to learn and do your thing I suppose you will catch on quite fast. I’ve taken all negative and positives under consideration and I feel this is the right MOS for me.

kbs95125
04-01-08, 05:12 PM
Just join and accept the way of the grunt...

why would you not want an MOS that has the only description of

"Kill Bodies."

BR34
04-01-08, 05:22 PM
Just join and accept the way of the grunt...

why would you not want an MOS that has the only description of

"Kill Bodies."

He already told you why.

There's no sense in trying to push someone into a MOS that he doesn't want.

The U.S. ended conscription for a reason. When you shove someone into a career they never wanted they don't perform as well as they would if they had actually persued the career.

He's trying to secure a better future for himself AFTER the "kill bodies" days are said and done.

ttracker65
04-01-08, 06:01 PM
OK Seyborg I feel your pain But You Will Spell My Marine Corps RIGHT!!!

kbs95125
04-01-08, 07:31 PM
He already told you why.

There's no sense in trying to push someone into a MOS that he doesn't want.

The U.S. ended conscription for a reason. When you shove someone into a career they never wanted they don't perform as well as they would if they had actually persued the career.

He's trying to secure a better future for himself AFTER the "kill bodies" days are said and done.

I understand L/Cpl.

I was just saying its not all that bad to be "just a grunt" when it comes time to secure a future in the civilian world.

I am merely saying he shouldn't let not having SF in his contract be the end all be all, if he can still enlist doing time as an 03xx. I guess it just a matter of does he really want to be a Marine or not?

Seyborg
04-01-08, 07:54 PM
lol..wow...damn Seyborg can you please be in my fireteam?

Sir, yes, Sir! Seyborg is ready for ANYTHING you throw at him!

I wanted to help this fellow poolee because I've been here. This poolee knows what he wants. Thats a good start. I have a better understanding on what it takes to be a Marine now, at least the attitude part of it. Thank Sgt and Davblay for that. Bloop and Al too! *salute*

Now, as far as I spelling the Marine Corps wrong I am sorry Sir!

Bazzard
04-07-08, 10:23 PM
Sorry to dig this thread up but the problem is solved. My Recruiter found the UV contract I was looking for. Incidently also found me a bonus ($5000) which I was never told existed until now . . . Needless to say they where not happy at the stunt I pulled so they made me fill out some sort of high risk contract to cover their ass if I do it again but I digress. I would like to thank Seyborg and everyone who helped me out on this thread without your wisdom I would have never been able secure my future within the Marine Corps.

immaproshooter
04-07-08, 11:18 PM
ill be hoenst i didnt read every single comment i skimmed through..so i hope im not repeating anyone too much..but....a SF Marine is an 11 first and foremost they go through the same training as the rest of us 11's do at SOI in the ITB they train as an 11 and get "certified" and graduate SOI as an 11 and then they go off to Virginia i believe or NC i cant remember which but over in that area for SF training..... i believe it was OJT though....some guys from my platoon in SOI were SF adn i still talk to them now adays...if youd liek send me a PM and i can get you in contact with them so you might ask them some questions of it and all...but yes as an 11 you can switch to sf its like a second billet its not the whoel term because they will surve the remainder of their contract as an 11 when the SF contract is up

xRaVeNx
04-08-08, 07:56 PM
Wow, what a complete ass, I would have been like 'peace!' and spoke to another recruiter in the nearest town...

immaproshooter
04-08-08, 11:57 PM
hey i cont contest that if you get &quot;discharged&quot; all ti takes is a simple waiver to get y ou in any recruiter can get you one......and if you talk to a diff recruiter before your ship date itll look...