PDA

View Full Version : Special Motorcycle For Special Marines

thedrifter
03-24-08, 08:52 AM
Special Motorcycle For Special Marines

Last Updated: 6:44 PM Mar 23, 2008
Email Address: cayle.thompson@kake.com

A grassroots effort underway in Galva, Kansas, could help American soldiers injured in the line of duty. But organizers first say they need the publics help.

John Ferguson of McPherson is a former Marine. When his one-time commander, Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell, was seriously injured in Iraq, Ferguson decided he wanted to do something to help his colleague and all other soldiers rebuilding their lives after an active-duty injury.

"He's the Marine that would grab you by your collar," says Ferguson. "He'd pull you out of that hole and say,'Marine, you're following me.'"

Thus was born the Chopper of Honor.

"We wanted to build a bike to go and raise awareness all around the United States... to show the wounded guys, 'This is what we can do for you,'" says Ferguson.

Ferguson is teaming up with M&M Choppers in Galva, along with friends across the country, to build a one-of-a-kind motorcycle in honor of America's injured soldiers. In many ways, the "Chopper" has become an icon for the American military, much like the bikes seen in the American Legion and Patriot Guard.

"I wanted to do something to honor Lt. Col. Maxwell for the sacrifices he made for his country," says Ferguson. "And of course, for all the other men and women who have been injured or, unfortunately, killed."

The bike's design is still being ironed out, but Matt Hanson of M&M Choppers already has a few ideas.

"I can't think of a better reason to build one," says Hanson. "If you're going to look for a foundation or a reason to build a bike, this is about as good as it gets right here."

Hanson's choppers have been showcased in national magazines. He and Ferguson say this one could take the cake.

While designs are still being configured, Ferguson says he knows what colors the bike will be: Marine Uniform Blue. He's even considering the signature name "Mad Max" in honor of Lt. Col. Maxwell.

"I honestly feel the people in the United States understand that soldiers are being hurt and killed on a daily basis," says Ferguson. "But I don't know if it quite hits home for them."

That's what Ferguson hopes this bike will do -- open the eyes and the minds of more Americans to the struggles of injured soldiers.

But it's not a cheap or easy build. A custom showcase bike, worthy of a nationwide circuit tour, will cost upwards of $50,000 to construct. Hanson and Ferguson hope public donations will help them reach their goal as part of the Hope For The Warriors program.

You can find out more about Ferguson's plans for a one-of-a-kind chopper, and make donations to the project, online at www.hopeforthewarriors.org You can also learn more about M&M Choppers at www.mmchoppers.com. More information about Lt. Col. Tim Maxwell is available on his website, www.sempermax.com.

If you'd like to contact John Ferguson to learn more about his project, he can be reached through email at injuredwarriors@yahoo.com.

Ellie