PDA

View Full Version : Injured Marine will return to Grand Rapids

thedrifter
03-23-08, 06:24 PM
Injured Marine will return to Grand Rapids

Sarah Sell

Created: 3/22/2008 5:48:34 PM
Updated: 3/22/2008 11:27:07 PM

A West Michigan Marine severely injured in Iraq is finally coming home. Corporal Joshua Hoffman has been recovering from a gun-shot wound that left him paralyzed from the neck down. His family is preparing for his return this Tuesday.

Josh will come home to a new handicap accessible apartment in Kentwood. His brother, Jacob says, "To me it's going to be a lot different cause he needs 24-hour care, so, it's not like I can show up and be like, hey, lets go to the movies or lift weights."

Josh will be coming home his long-time girlfriend Heather Lovell. She's been by his side since January when josh was shot by a sniper during his tour of duty, in Fallujah, Iraq.

Alpha Company Sergeant Lee Kyle was in the command center when it happened. "We heard the code come across; every one knew it was Josh, everyone rushed into the COC."

None of the marines have seen Josh since he left Iraq, but they will be here in the Grand Rapids area for his return. "Our company has well over 100 marines and we'll have almost every marine in our company there for his homecoming."

Jacob says, "He pretty much gave his life for this country. I can't think of a bigger sacrifice than that...he's a soldier...and a hero."

For Josh, life is now full of physical challenges. But, despite it all, his friends and family say he considers himself lucky to be here.

"I mean not only did he live, but he knows that with medical advances, there's the chance he'll be able to walk again", says Patti Feeback, Heather Lovell's sister.

Corporal Hoffman will return between 9 and 11 Tuesday morning. The public is invited to line the streets around the airpor with flags.

Web Editor: Sarah Sell, Reporter

Ellie