PDA

View Full Version : mos, military intell

briansmom
04-21-03, 06:55 AM
My son Brian has went through meps and got the mos of his choice which is millitary intelligence, I was really worried that the recruiter was just telling him he could get it and then when he got to meps would talk him into something else, but it came through, there were only 2 openings, luckily he scored very high on his asvabs to be able to have more mos's to choose from. My ? is, do they change your mos later if they feel you are better suited elsewhere? He is hoping he made the right choice, but he is always hearing about other mos's and wonder now if they would be a better choice. Any one else out there in the intel MOS that could telll us alittle about it? Are you happy with you decision? I am so nervous about this whole thing,(his decision to become a Marine) he was accepted at college and ready to leave on Aug 23, now is is leaving for boot camp on Oct 6th instead. It was a real heartache for me. I am trying to support him now. His dad is a former Marine so he could not be prouder. thanks for letting me ramble.

wrbones
04-21-03, 08:45 AM
Ramble all ya want, darlin'. The only thing I can answer for sure is that he will take a second test in recruit training very similar to the ASVAB. If his score doesn't change markedly, he should be on his way to the MOS he signed up for. An honest recruiter wouldn't talk him out of his choice or had no chance at it after scoring poorly on the ASVAB.

We'll have to wait for one of our DI and recruiter types to jump in here and give ya a little more info.

Keep the faith, babe.

yellowwing
04-21-03, 08:59 AM
The Corps has a mini continuing education courses you can cross train for other MOSs. I took a few on 0200 Intelligence. It was a very enlightening set of courses. It taught me more on how to analyse and how real world processes work together. If I had taken the LSAT right afterwards, I know I could have scored very high.

Enlisted men (and women) have alway been encouraged to enroll in college courses. I had a roomate that earned his BA and went on to become a fine 'Mustang' officer.

dawsonrecon
04-21-03, 11:45 AM
Just a little something to add about changing MOSs. Sometimes what you signed up for just isn't what you had planned for. Or it is too much. I was originally an 0151 (ADMIN) until I was told by my CO that I was wasting my physical talent sitting behind a desk. So what do I end up doing......well hell I went RECON. It all just depends on chance luck and fate.

CPL Dawson

Sixguns
04-21-03, 05:29 PM
unless there is mutual agreement. When a recruit or future Marine filled out his Statement of Understanding (SOU) for his enlistment option, he essentially got a guarantee. The only way to change the guarantee is to show the recruit is no longer qualified for the MOS or job skill. This is 99% of the time due to something the recruit does like fail a drug test, get in police trouble or fail a required training course or requirement. A recruit can be asked to voluntarily change their MOS guarantee if qualified for a more strict (ASVAB score, prerequisites), or demanding field if the recruit agrees to drop his previous MOS in exchange for the new one. At that time, a statement and admin notes are made to the enlistment agreement stating the recruit/Marine voluntarily chose to change the guarantee. This new guarantee then supercedes any previous documents and agreements. If the recruit then fails out or is disqualified from the new MOS, he is placed in a new MOS based on the needs of th USMC and not the individual.

SF,

firstsgtmike
04-21-03, 06:10 PM
briansmom,

Now that you've found us, remember how to find your way back.
Bring Brian, either with you or on his own.

Read the poolee posts, from start to finish. Bones can direct you to where the wives and mothers are. (I forget)

No BS, no propaganda, no ulterior motive but to give and to share.

As a potential (he hasn't made it yet) member of our family, you are welcome to look in from the outside.

As the past, present, or future wife of a Marine, you rate special consideration. The only question I would ask is; Where is HE?

briansmom
04-21-03, 06:40 PM
My husband is a former Marine, I try to get other views about all this stuff because I feel my husband is biased. He is and always will be a Marine and the fact that our son now wants to become one is all he needs to know. My husband was in Recon. He really like it alot but got out as he thought it would be to hard to raise a family, but now he really regrets it, he would have retired 7 years ago, he had in almost 7 years. I just feel like I need to know that my son will be ok and things have maybe changed since my husband was in and I really hope the DIs do not hit the recruits like in that movie Full Metal Jacket, thanks for everyone taking the time to write, I definately willl be back, I have been reading for hours already.

03Infantry
04-22-03, 04:21 PM
his dad is always a Marine. Once a Marine always a Marine

wrbones
04-22-03, 04:35 PM
You been doin' yer readin' 03?

Don't make me hunt you down!