View Full Version : Family and friends greet reservists back from Iraq

thedrifter
03-23-08, 06:16 PM
March 23, 2008

Family and friends greet reservists back from Iraq

Yellow ribbons, smiles and hugs

By JIM McCONVILLE
KEYPORT BUREAU

"Oh, God, it's good to be home," shouted one of the first Marines to burst through the door into a veritable sea of 300 or so civilians, all looking to see whether the next Marine in "tannies" was the one they most wanted to see.

"Good to be home" likely filled the hearts and minds of those 44 U.S. Marine reservists, whose bus rode into the U.S. Armed Forces Reserve Center on Newman Springs Road Saturday afternoon amid cheers, whistles, sirens, waving flags and several tears from their family and friends.

The cause for the celebration: the return home of the Marine Reserves from the 6th Motor Transport Battalion after serving for seven months in Iraq.

The Marines hailed from all over the state; returning Monmouth Marine reservists included Lance Cpl. Russell Williams of the Oakhurst section of Ocean Township; Cpl. Scott Kamm of Lakewood; and Cpl. Timothy Walling of Tinton Falls.

The 24-year-old Kamm may, for the short term, return to selling life insurance for Primerica in Brick, said his father, Albert Kamm, 49, of Lakewood.

"I've been anxious for him to be home," Albert Kamm said.

But that stay at home may be brief.

"He (Scott) is already talking about another deployment to Afghanistan; some of his (Marine) friends are going," Albert Kamm said.

Albert Kamm said his son has also expressed reservations about his return to the United States.

"He had mixed feelings about leaving Iraq," Albert Kamm said. "He said he's developed some good friends there."

For parents Russell Williams Sr. and Betty Russell, their son Russell's return home may translate into more shut-eye.

Russell Williams, 43, a volunteer fireman for the Oakhurst Fire Department, gave his son Russell a rousing welcome home with a four fire-engine salute of horns, bells, lights and sirens.

"When we got the call that he was coming home, we felt such relief," said Betty Williams, 45. "It's as if somebody bought me a nice gift," she said. "It's the first night that I've slept through in seven months."

The soldiers' return, coming on the eve of Easter Sunday, as well as the March 19 five-year anniversary of the start of the Iraq war, was more about longing and expectation as families and friends sat patiently for the return of their loved ones, who traveled up by bus from Camp Lejeune, N.C., in the early morning hours.

"It's a joyful relief," Margaret Hussey, 45, of Tinton Falls said about the return of her son, Timothy Walling, 20. "He can't wait to come home and color (Easter) eggs."

Some families saw the Marines' return as a double blessing.

"How wonderful it is that it is Easter weekend," said Judy Plate, 62, of South Carolina, mother of Lance Cpl. Charles Plate, 23, of Roxbury. "It's a blessing all around."

Handmade banners adorned nearly every free inch of the Reserve Center cafeteria.

Signs such as "Welcome Home Danny Solares. We Are Proud of You" gave the room a cheery, hopeful atmosphere as most loved ones sat and conversed quietly to while away the more than two-hour delay .

Waiting for Solares, 21, of Palisades Park, was his fiancee, Carissa Licitra, 18; his sister Vanessa Solares, 23; and his mother Lores Solares, 49, who is battling cancer.

"I couldn't wait to see him," Licitra said. "Now the wait is over."

A legion of yellow ribbons tied to the fence surrounding the Reserve Center flapped in the breeze, as if waving in expectation of the Marines' arrival.

For most of the 44 Marine reservists, they will now enjoy three months of "down time" before either returning to civilian life if their reserve tour commitment is up, or waiting for another possible redeployment overseas.

"Lots of these guys will go back to civilian life and a civilian job," said Carlo Brancato, company commander, headquarters and service, U.S. Armed Forces Reserve Center.

Others, Brancato said, may volunteer to go back, or may still have time left on their reserve duty.

Some waiting parents admitted that the two-hour delay was cause for some last minute nail-biting after a nerve-racking seven-month tour of duty.

"I was very, very anxious," emphasized Judy Plate, as she waited for her son, Charles, the lance corporal. "Now, I no longer have to be."

Ellie