PDA

View Full Version : Combat Engineer and other MOS

ALaugisch
03-23-08, 03:08 PM
Hello, Last year I DEPed in for the Marine Corps. I'm going to be leaving in June and I'm still not sure if my job suits me.

My first pick was Military Police, I stayed with that for a few months with intentions of becoming a Police Officer in the civilian world afterwards. Well from what my recruiters tell me Marine MPs hardly get hired as civilian cops because they are too rough. That and I would be stuck standing post at a base in till I reach NCO statis before I get my own cruiser.

So I decided to switch to Combat engineer, I was hoping that someone would give me an insight on what all the Combat Engineers do, and all the other variations.

Also, some suggestions on other MOS that I would be interested in.

I scored an 82 on the ASVAB and have a very advanced knowledge over computers, although I don't want to be a desk jokey.

Thanks.

Bullpup
03-23-08, 03:17 PM
Taken straight from about.com

mos 1371

Combat engineers construct, alter, repair, and maintain buildings and structures; lift and move heavy objects and equipment by setting up, bracing, and utilizing rigging devices and equipment; and perform various duties incidental to the use of demolitions in construction projects and destruction of objects. Personnel assigned this MOS are taught carpentry and other construction skills as well as demolitions, specialized demolitions for urban breaching and land mine warfare.

You should look at combat jobs. Infantry, Artillery, and Tank are all non-desk jobs. Good luck

ALaugisch
03-23-08, 03:19 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I know what it is, I was more hoping to hear from someone who has/had this MOS to let me know more about what he did on a regular basis.

As for the infantry and other combat MOS I want something that will give me a direct skill or trade to work in the civilian world in the event I don't stay for 20 years.

Hologram
03-23-08, 03:25 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the reply. I know what it is, I was more hoping to hear from someone who has/had this MOS to let me know more about what he did on a regular basis.

As for the infantry and other combat MOS I want something that will give me a direct skill or trade to work in the civilian world in the event I don't stay for 20 years.Well you can always get a job in the civvie world as a mercenary/hired gun/bodyguard.

michaeleckard
03-23-08, 03:55 PM
That depends on what part of the country you from. in the northeast you have to be in a union to get a decent job.Mine was 1341 basic engineer mechanic not shore how different combat engineer is from that.all i know is
here in Pennsylvania it sucks.

ZSKI
03-23-08, 04:49 PM
Well while you are active you can do whats called the apprenticeship program fort 1300's so if you become an HE op your ours on the gear are logged, or CE will be able to join the carpentry/ masonary uniion as a journeyman. There is a program called helment to hardhats that help construction mos get a union job when they get out.

TSchultz
03-23-08, 05:12 PM
ALaugisch- Do a search here using keyword '1371.' There is so much information about this MOS on Leatherneck.com.

Covey_Rider
03-23-08, 06:02 PM
There are 3 different sides to being a Combat Engineer. I know I've posted this before...If you want full details of everything just send me a message.

Xebec
03-23-08, 09:17 PM
Just curious, but how do plan on getting 1371, because if I'm thinking straight, if you're going active duty then you sign a contract that provides you getting something in the 1100/1300 field, which is utilities/engineer field, from what I understand. So if you are going active duty and unless you get it ON PAPER that you WILL GET 1371 there are a lot of jobs in 1100/1300 that potentially be something you weren't expecting such as refrigeration mechanic. Just be mindfull of that.

ALaugisch
03-23-08, 09:55 PM
Ok, Here is what I know.

3 Months ago I came up to my recruiter and told him, "I want to change jobs." at the time I was not sure what I wanted. I did want something that was not infantry but also not sitting behind a desk. He recommended Combat Engineer, he didn't give me a whole lot of insight on it, he just told me that he sees me doing that for 2 years and then Embassy guard for another 2 years.

What he did was sign me up for Combat Engineer on my first slot and on the other two he picked two MOS that had no openings available. He told me since I did that I would be guarenteed that job.

Xebec
03-23-08, 09:58 PM
Are you going reserves?

ALaugisch
03-23-08, 10:13 PM
No, I ship June 9th for active duty.

TSchultz
03-23-08, 10:14 PM
you got a contract for 1371? Not a CM contract?

Xebec
03-23-08, 10:26 PM
Then I'm confused on how your recruiter said you had a guarunteed job. As far as I know, and Marines correct me if I'm wrong, you can only sign up for a job field ie contracts if you are going active. I believe CE contract is the 1100/1300 one. There are other contracts I've heard of that can guaruntee you an MOS but it's RARE, from what I hear. So if I were you I would sit down with my recruiter and say, "Sir, can you please tell me how my package looks right now? I'm kind of confused on the MOS part of it." I would go to about.com and look what is in the 1100/1300 fields.
Your recruiter might have said Combat Engineer because it's apart of the Combat Arms, which includes, Artillery, Combat Engineers, Infantry, and Tanks and Amphibious Assault, and Light Armored Vehicles. Let me give you a run down on what the MCOB says about Combat Arms: Combat Engineers
Combat engineers combine Marine combat abilites with building skills to do field construction for fighting forces.
What you do:
.Build trails, roads, and field fortifications, such as shelters, bunkers, and gun emplacements.
.Put up floating or pre-fabricated bridges.
.Lay and clear mine fields and booby traps.
.Construct aifields and perform ground traffic control duties.
.Assemble camouflage and other protective barriers for artillery and troop positions.
.Load, unload, and move supplies and equipment, utilizing planes, helicopters, trucks, and amphibious vehicles.
.Place and detonate explosives.
.Participate in combat operations as infantrymen.

That's a quick rundown, so like I said talk to the recruiter about how he has guarunteed you 1371. Any questions?

after reading TSchultz, I guess it's CM not CE

ALaugisch
03-23-08, 11:16 PM
I'm as confused as you guys are, All I know is 2 of the 3 jobs I picked were full so the only place I can be put in is Combat Engineer.

As for the Combat Engineer, from what I understand... There is 3 different types.

Jdncowboy
03-23-08, 11:17 PM
Ok, Here is what I know.

3 Months ago I came up to my recruiter and told him, "I want to change jobs." at the time I was not sure what I wanted. I did want something that was not infantry but also not sitting behind a desk. He recommended Combat Engineer, he didn't give me a whole lot of insight on it, he just told me that he sees me doing that for 2 years and then Embassy guard for another 2 years.

What he did was sign me up for Combat Engineer on my first slot and on the other two he picked two MOS that had no openings available. He told me since I did that I would be guarenteed that job.

Im pretty sure that MSG duty is a 3yr tour now.

Xebec
03-23-08, 11:23 PM
Yea, from what I understand there is three different types. From what I've been told from a Marine who is a 1371 there is the Air side which includes laying air strips and such as listed in other post. The Land side which includes building buildings, construction type stuff. And the BLOWING CRAP UP side, he said that's where you sometimes work with infantry to do demo of things. He was kind of vague on it. He kind of made it sound like you do what your unit is told to do, not as much as you get to pick which part you were in.

nsfdmedic
03-24-08, 01:47 AM
having been a 1371 for 4 years, most of what you where told about the job is true. I had the good fortune to do all the differant jobs, from 3rd CEB, to 8th ENG. i did build a lot and also a lot with explosives, grunt work, land mines, bridges you name it. all hard work but fun,

david529
03-24-08, 11:39 AM
Ok who ever that dumb poolee was that said get a "combat job" not a desk job is a retard. In the 1st 2nd and 3rd Marine Division there are the Combat Arms, these are the MOS's that fight the wars and they include Combat Engineers, Tanks, Track, LAV'S, Arty, and Infantry. There are 3 sides to being a Combat Engineer. and here is the breakdown

Division Combat Engineer : You are directly attached to Infantry Batalions. You go on every patrol and mission that they do. Your role is to deal with Mines if encountered, look for and destroy weapons caches, and provide explosives expertise to the Infantry, such as blowing down the doors during room clearing. You also can build hasty fortifications, not schools and crap, but very quick and hasty fortifications.

Air Wing and Marine Logistics Groups Engineers...These are the other 2 sides These guys build buildings, repair roads, build bridges, build big camps, build and repair runways and roadways. etc...The sometimes get to use thier Demolitions knowledge in making road craters and making paths through rough terrain, but thier main mission is different than that of a division Engineer.

Also, Women are not allowed in the Division Engineer units as these untis are a combat arms branch and get attached to the Infantry.

In Iraq i went on every footpatrol that my grunt company did, i stayed in the smae crappy houses they stayed in and stood the same watched they did and got into the same firefights that they did. I found and destroyed lots of caches on you patrols and blew up anything else that needed to be blown up.

ALaugisch
03-24-08, 01:58 PM
Thank you David, Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. So did you enjoy your time as Combat Engineer? <br />
<br />
Also.. Why destroy enemy caches? I understand it is the enemy weapon, but couldn't they be...

david529
03-24-08, 02:07 PM
I love being a Combat Engineer Sapper. Basicaly running around as a grunt with a pack full of C4. Then occasionaly going and building a small fortifiaction for the grunts. I am deploying for a 4th time in Aug. Been to Iraq 3 times. Its a luck of the draw type of deal though. I would hate it if i was in the wing or group cutting wood and crap. But if you do become an Engineer and get stuck in the wing or group dont be disheartened, you can always change units after a few years.

We have no need for thier weapons and on a 13 man foot patrol you cant very well carry all that crap back. Think about 30 155mm arty shells...they weigh about 100lbs a piece to give you an idea. This is why we destroy them.

ALaugisch
03-24-08, 02:21 PM
Well yeah, I mean more like small arms weapons. Like the AK-47. I suppose they would be too heavy as well. <br />
<br />
Are you allowed to take one as a souvenir? :bunny: <br />
<br />
<br />
Also, do you have any...

david529
03-24-08, 02:25 PM
I didnt read your IST questions but i will tell you if you have hard time passing the IST let alone a PFT then you should kick yourself in the ass and then into high gear. Especialy if you have any plans on serving in a comabt MOS where your brothers will be relying on you to be able to carry them to safety in a firefight one day