PDA

View Full Version : Sand Fleas

FeMzZ
03-23-08, 12:12 PM
I keep hearing about these sand fleas at Parris Island but i have no idea what anyone is talking about. I mean i know they are little bugs but why are they so relevant to bootcamp? From what ive seen from PI, the only sand was in the pit where they went if they messed up but i only got to see PI on "Making Marines" so maybe they just showed us what they wanted us to see.

Brandon1
03-23-08, 12:41 PM
Watch the movie "The D.I.", you'll find out lol.

usmc2007
03-23-08, 01:09 PM
I watched that movie while at P.I. in EHP Platoon before getting discharged from training. It actually is a good movie.

BR34
03-23-08, 01:09 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Biting_sandfly.jpg

There's sand everywhere at PI. When you see all that grass, it's actually covered in sand, the grass is just growing through it.

HABU
03-23-08, 01:21 PM
after it rained...we'ed have to run down to the rose garden and they'd thrash us.

on your belly on your back on your belly on your back on your belly on your back on your belly on your back .

do this for a while to stir them up and then stand at attention for a while so the D.I.'s can see if you flinch while the sand fleas cover you face and get in your ears and nose.. biting the p#ss out of you... i've seen a few guys start crying.....

michaeleckard
03-23-08, 05:24 PM
Don't get caught killing one depending on the DI you my have to bury it .
and that would be regulation burial as in 6 foot under.

Marine84
03-23-08, 07:01 PM
Sandfleas are hell! Like Bro3 said, even the grass is in sand - I remember being out on that PT field and trying my God awfulest NOT to scratch or smack at the sandfleas. If you did and got caught (which you ALWAYS do), the DIs would yell at you for "killing my little sandfleas - they got to eat too!"

rvillac2
03-24-08, 12:47 AM

ROFL.. and make those corners square.

BR34
03-24-08, 06:22 AM
Ahhh, that's nothing! I witnessed a recruit from my plt. counting the little brass holes on the war belts of every recruit in the COMPANY! The belts were grounded at the picture place, and he had to count them all...then he lost count and had to start over! Funniest thing ever!

Phantom Blooper
03-24-08, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by michealeckard

Then dig it up to see if it was male or female!:evilgrin:

JoeInVille
03-24-08, 10:25 AM
I have heard that fire ants are a new addition to the fantastic trip to PI. Is this true?

jetdoc
03-24-08, 10:26 AM
Sand fleas, yes they are my friends and we shouldn't kill them, lol.

I wonder if they still have the rose garden?

jetdoc
03-24-08, 10:27 AM
I have heard that fire ants are a new addition to the fantastic trip to PI. Is this true?
Yea and killer bees too. Its not a picnic.

JoeInVille
03-24-08, 10:33 AM
Bees! I didnt hear about that. I guess I learn something new every day! Maybe by my ship date another thing will pop up!

davblay
03-24-08, 10:51 AM
When magnified, the sand flea somewhat resembles
a midget mosquito, only with a shorter mouth stinger,
more like a horse flies stinger in appearance.
The sand flea has a dark body, brown colored legs
and its wings are translucent with gray and brown splotches, appearing whitish brown when flying.
Large groups are most often seen, buzzing around in tight circles, around the head and arms.

http://beaufortusa.com/images/sandflea.jpg
<small class="cs2">Adult sand flea
</small>

<small class="cs2">

http://beaufortusa.com/sandflea.htm

</small>

Artemis
03-24-08, 11:38 AM
Good luck finding a patch of grass on the PT field that you won't meet fire ants at. Sand fleas....I never want to come in contact with those things again.

jetdoc
03-24-08, 01:32 PM
Bees! I didnt hear about that. I guess I learn something new every day! Maybe by my ship date another thing will pop up!

Also watch out for land sharks, ;)

yellowwing
03-24-08, 01:59 PM
Up close and personal with these monsters!
http://www.ywg-web.com/images/sand-flea.gif
They are a national protected species enforced by Drill Instructors! :evilgrin:

1stRad2671
03-24-08, 06:03 PM

New? No, they were there in '97. Ate my ass up while doing situps for a PFT during Field Week. :mad:

whiskeytango7
03-24-08, 06:07 PM
Hell, don't worry about the sandfleas. Worry about the gators. Especially the ones in the swimming pool when you have to take the CWS

Matt Brzycki
03-26-08, 08:17 AM
Something from the 'net:

It seems that wherever you go, whatever you do, the sand flea is your constant companion. So much so, that the term "The Beaufort Salute" is now the Beaufort areas official phrase describing the motion of repelling sand fleas. The sand flea is Beaufort's most popular unwanted guest. Many names are given to this micro vampire, such as No-see-ums, punkies, gnats and numerous other four letter words I won't mention. It is hard to believe an insect only 1/10th of an inch in size is capable of such an annoying bite. The bite of a sand flea is actually a sting and the effects can be felt for hours. A small reddish or whitish welt, about the size of a freckle is a sure sign you have become a sand fleas feast. Often, one encounters hundreds of sand fleas at one time and will receive many bites... as the sand flea loves to share its meal with all its many hungry friends. Sand flea dinner time is most of the time, especially around the morning and evening hours. Their tiny size allows the sand flea to enter homes through the smallest of window screens. Incandescent lights seem to attract larger numbers of sand flea into homes. Sand flea encounters are most often around marsh and sandy areas, although they seem to be plentiful everywhere else. If you have many tiny insects swarming around you, and can hardly see them...you are about to become dinner for the sand flea.

On another note, I read in "Making the Corps" that recruits can now purchase an insect repellant called "Skin So Soft" at the PX. Are you kiddin me? Maybe they buy it but don't get to use it.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Drock54
03-26-08, 08:33 AM
Do you guys have any special tricks to ignore the bites that we should know about before departing for PI?

yellowwing
03-26-08, 08:59 AM
Do you guys have any special tricks to ignore the bites that we should know about before departing for PI?
Nope. Just an iron will. A thousand recruits have endured them before you. You can do it. In a tactical situation slapping a bug is a dead give away, keyword on dead. :evilgrin:

MotivatorOfTheGuard
03-26-08, 10:46 AM
Nope. Just an iron will. A thousand recruits have endured them before you. You can do it. In a tactical situation slapping a bug is a dead give away, keyword on dead. :evilgrin:
Not to mention you look retarded when doing it. Don't forget poolees. Those sandfleas have dont more time on the island than you. They rate the proper respect!
:banana:

yellowwing
03-26-08, 10:52 AM
Your in enemy territory you loudly slap a flea and his listening post hears you slap a bug. Next thing you know 82 MM Mortrars are blasting around you. A very bad day.

SgtThrasher
03-26-08, 11:01 AM
Do you guys have any special tricks to ignore the bites that we should know about before departing for PI?---------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
The sand flea bites @Parris Island are a rite of passage and
another tool the drill instructors use to teach discipline.The
back of your hands,neck,face and exposed skin will get
attacked every time your outside.In 1965 they issued some
stick bug juice that helped if you had time to apply it but
don't slap one in formation or you'll get your Platoon killed in combat and on the Island might get yourself
killed.

:evilgrin:

yellowwing
03-26-08, 11:07 AM
They actualy tickle an its hard not to laugh and giggle. :D

jetdoc
03-26-08, 03:34 PM
Matt, thanks for that info, I had never heard the phrase, "Beaufort salute", too funny.

Drock54
03-27-08, 09:30 AM
Matt, thanks for that info, I had never heard the phrase, "Beaufort salute", too funny.

I have family from Georgia and they call it the Yankee wave, because everytime the northerners come down they are always waving their hands infront of their faces swatting at the bugs...

SGT7477
03-27-08, 10:38 AM
So tell me we don't have bugs in the north,HUH?

Drock54
03-28-08, 11:19 AM
So tell me we don't have bugs in the north,HUH?

No, Not that we don't have bugs I guess its because they are worse down there. I don't know I was talking about the sand fleas with my Aunt who was a Marine about the sand fleas, and my grandma up from south said that they call it the yankee wave when we swat at the bugs...

SGT7477
03-28-08, 11:25 AM
Ok I'll let you go this time,lol, Carry On.

Drock54
03-28-08, 11:37 AM
Ok I'll let you go this time,lol, Carry On.

Thank you sir.

Lance Smutzer
03-28-08, 11:53 AM
The beloved sand fleas, I miss them SOB's (lol). My advice to you is try to never go in the pit in shorts. Keep the rest of you platoon in line. Brother they hurt when they bite. The burial of sand fleas is the worst thing I have ever done, But I only had to dig 3 feet. I miss the corps but not them.

Stay strong and Semper FI
:usmc:

Tooks
03-28-08, 07:18 PM
You got to love the sand fleas during drill. You're hot and sweaty marching around the parade deck, knowing you could be sent to the pit at any moment, while they eat away at you. Its almost like they could sense that you weren't allowed to move. You have to love them though. They are like an unofficial mascot.

sparkie
03-28-08, 07:34 PM
Went thru PI, summer '69. Never saw, or felt a sand flea. {bad year for them?} Our issue was deer flies,,,, fierce bite, 3 ft trickle of blood running down your arm or leg. I would like to meet a sand flea some day. Just to say thank you.

SlingerDun
03-28-08, 08:00 PM
hehehehehehe, i'm fly bait

Twitchell
03-28-08, 08:31 PM
I'm a Wildland Firefighter in Cedar City Utah. Have been for 4 years, and I'm tellin ya. One of the worst things I have ever experienced as far as bugs go is Stump Humpers. I don't know what there official name is, but they are a little bigger than a fly, and bite the hell out of you if you simply walk past them. They swarm to burnt black area's by the thousands while it's still warm, mate, and eat each other. NOT KIDDING!
You have to keep your bearing with those, just like you do sand flees when one comes up and bites you on the damn eye lid, while your cutting a half burnt tree down with a chain saw. "Tree's kill you good to".

SlingerDun
03-28-08, 08:45 PM
I been popped by those and since i was a child always thought they were some kind of 2nd rate ugly hornet or wasp???

SierraSixOne
04-06-08, 08:29 PM
Well I am going to PI soon in October, are they a permanent resident, or do they die out when it gets fridgid?

sawatzke82
04-06-08, 09:01 PM
I have family from Georgia and they call it the Yankee wave, because everytime the northerners come down they are always waving their hands infront of their faces swatting at the bugs

I've lived in Georgia for 10 years now and I still do this all the time. Also we call Sand fleas Sand Gnats,Its the name of the Savannah Baseball team too.

davblay
04-06-08, 09:03 PM
Well I am going to PI soon in October, are they a permanent resident, or do they die out when it gets fridgid?

LMFAO!!!!!! :banana:

ItzAlex
04-06-08, 09:08 PM

Ohh boy talk about that. On the Chosin Rifle range I was walking back from the head through the gradd and literally found a ant hill the size of a 7ton wheel. When you low crawl and arent careful, you crawl into a ant pile your screwed. It feels like they all get together and "One, two, three, BITE!"

Books
04-06-08, 10:12 PM
Ugh, the sand fleas and fire ants are truthfully the biggest fears I have right now. I'll run forever. I'll do all the most absurd things the DI's tell me. I will hurry up and wait, and I will be excited to be bored at Parris Island because I know in a few moons I'll have the EGA if I endure... But these bugs are making me go insane just thinking about them.

NeedSomePT
04-06-08, 11:00 PM
Ohh boy talk about that. On the Chosin Rifle range I was walking back from the head through the gradd and literally found a ant hill the size of a 7ton wheel. When you low crawl and arent careful, you crawl into a ant pile your screwed. It feels like they all get together and "One, two, three, BITE!"

Isn't it possible to die or have something else happen to you if you get bitten by a LOT of fire ants?

I agree with Books. I'll run till I die. I'll stay in the gas chamber all day. I'll do do the confidence course over and over and over even though I could personally live without heights. But man. If I have to go across a nice anthill I think I'll have a mental breakdown.

SgtHopperUSMC
04-07-08, 02:20 AM
Yea and killer bees too. Its not a picnic.Don't forget the bears at the old airfield..:)

jetdoc
04-08-08, 12:19 AM
Mark, I forgot about those dudes, they can get nasty if they're hungry, hehe.

Patriot34
04-09-08, 11:19 AM
Other than the bears, ants, gators, fleas, the DI's, and constant stress Parris Island is a great getaway. Tickets availble at your nearest recruiter's office.

THAT AINT IT
04-09-08, 06:49 PM
i still have nightmares about sand fleas and scars from the fire ants on the PT field lol

sparkie
04-09-08, 07:29 PM
This thread buggs me. I gotta go scratch,,,,,,,,,,,,

nsx
04-10-08, 01:17 AM

To hell with the sand flees try not to stroke out in the heat. And hope you do not get a DI that will force you to eat boiled eggs with the shell. I witnessed that first hand.

When you are in second phase you will get bagged lunches that contain a sandwich, boiled egg, lettuce and tomatoe with dressing in ketchup packs.

Keep in mind I went to PI over 10 years ago.

nsx
04-10-08, 01:19 AM
Don't forget the bears at the old airfield..:)

Bears? What Bears?

Worry about sandfleas, mosquitos, and black flag. Everything else will fall into place.

OOH RAH

SgtHopperUSMC
04-10-08, 02:30 AM
Bears? What Bears?

Worry about sandfleas, mosquitos, and black flag. Everything else will fall into place.

OOH RAHHey! I saw the bear turds by the dumpster!!!:)

sgtsmgibson
04-10-08, 05:42 AM
I went to boot camp in San Diego but visited Parris Island a couple of times and let me tell you...While walking, we never got off a sidewalk or paved road and was honestly eaten alive by those little bastards. Whoever on here is going to Parris Island...Good Luck!!!

THAT AINT IT
04-10-08, 09:32 AM
oh yeah and dont forget about the huge freaking raccoons when you go to BWT...those are always fun to chase out of your sea hut
and the sand fleas will be there when you go to the gas chamber too...youre already itching and burning but those damn things make it 100 times worse trying to get in your ears and everything