PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine Saves Lives Through Organ Donation

thedrifter
03-23-08, 09:19 AM
Former Marine Saves Lives Through Organ Donation
Reporting
Rafael Romo

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Two Chicago Marines share a special bond. One is alive today due to another's sacrifice and an organ donation. CBS 2's Rafael Romo reports on how a heart united two families.

Only a few weeks ago, they were total strangers, but now they call each other family.

When 23-year-old Ricky Martinez died after being shot last April, his parents remembered his wish – to be an organ donor. And that's how Brian Troy's life was saved.

"My son had a huge smile and Brian Troy seems to smile all the time and he seems to be a happy person and, I mean, that was my son," said Adalila Cruz, Martinez's mother.

"There are a few more people that are out there that are alive because of him," said Martinez's father Ricardo Martinez. "It was three lives that he saved. One of them is Brian Troy and the other two we have no idea."

Troy says he's honored to carry the heart of a fellow Marine; Martinez served two tours of duty in Iraq. He then came back to Chicago, only to be shot when one of his passengers was mistaken for a gang member as he was driving home from a Cubs game.

"I just feel so much for them as a mother…I couldn't imagine what they're going through. But as a wife, I'm so grateful," said Brian Troy's wife Denise.

"Every day the affection for the heart that beats in me is stronger, and stronger, and as long as I'm alive, Ricky will be alive too," Brian Troy said.

There are more than 6.5 million organ donors in the state of Illinois and the list keeps on growing. However, the need is great. There are currently more than 5,000 people waiting for an organ that could save their lives.
Reporting
Rafael Romo

CHICAGO (CBS) ― Two Chicago Marines share a special bond. One is alive today due to another's sacrifice and an organ donation. CBS 2's Rafael Romo reports on how a heart united two families.

Only a few weeks ago, they were total strangers, but now they call each other family.

When 23-year-old Ricky Martinez died after being shot last April, his parents remembered his wish – to be an organ donor. And that's how Brian Troy's life was saved.

"My son had a huge smile and Brian Troy seems to smile all the time and he seems to be a happy person and, I mean, that was my son," said Adalila Cruz, Martinez's mother.

"There are a few more people that are out there that are alive because of him," said Martinez's father Ricardo Martinez. "It was three lives that he saved. One of them is Brian Troy and the other two we have no idea."

Troy says he's honored to carry the heart of a fellow Marine; Martinez served two tours of duty in Iraq. He then came back to Chicago, only to be shot when one of his passengers was mistaken for a gang member as he was driving home from a Cubs game.

"I just feel so much for them as a mother…I couldn't imagine what they're going through. But as a wife, I'm so grateful," said Brian Troy's wife Denise.

"Every day the affection for the heart that beats in me is stronger, and stronger, and as long as I'm alive, Ricky will be alive too," Brian Troy said.

There are more than 6.5 million organ donors in the state of Illinois and the list keeps on growing. However, the need is great. There are currently more than 5,000 people waiting for an organ that could save their lives.

Ellie