PDA

View Full Version : Hacking it...

Oxaric
04-21-03, 01:50 AM
I hear that out of all Marine recruits 6% don't make it or can't hack it. How do people not hack it? I can understand injuries or pee tests coming back positive but how would one be deemed not hackable? Even if you are borderline to the weight requirement and can't do any pullups or crunches you would continue to be recycled until you were fit enough correct? I also can see if you can't shoot well at all or if you can't learn to swim but other than these examples how might one not hack it? Basically if there is no real way to not hack it then really you are basically a Marine once you set foot on base right? I'm not planning on going into boot camp in bad shape because I would die but I am just curious. :)

wrbones
04-21-03, 03:39 AM
Yer not a Marine until ya graduate from recruit training. Get used to that idea. Yer a recruit when ya hit the base. The screening for enlistees is tougher than in the past. The numbers of sea bag drags have dropped dramatically. It's not a matter of physical ability that gets ya through training alone. It's heart. It's mental toughness. Some folks aren't meant to be Marines.

Oxaric
04-21-03, 11:14 AM
Yes, sir! Thank you, sir!

USMCGreen
04-21-03, 11:24 AM
Unless you have it in you to become a Marine, you never will. It has to come from within you, "This is the Spirit of the Marine Corps."

jhb3043
04-21-03, 05:27 PM

when you get to MCRD, every Marine you come across is "sir" to you. weather their newly graduated Marines or Drill Instructors. everyone but recruits are called "sir" by recruits.

Kalbo
04-21-03, 05:46 PM
We lost a guy at the rifle range. He had multiple personalities, started snapping in with another platoon.

jhb3043
04-21-03, 05:50 PM
dude thats scary :O the guy started snapping in w/other platoons? he probably got smoked big time for that....lol

JChristin
04-21-03, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by jhb3043

when you get to MCRD, every Marine you come across is "sir" to you.

Wait a moment...

Not "everyone" is called "sir," the fewer and the prouder are called "mam." Otherwise, my two son's will grow up with a complex!

semper fi,
jchristin

JAMarine
04-21-03, 06:03 PM
Basically if
there is no real way to not
hack it then really you are
basically a Marine once you
set foot on base right?

Are you for real?

Unlike the Army, Navy and the AirForce
where as on the first day of enlistment you
are a soldier, seaman and an airman,
you will never have the title of a
United States Marine until
you graduate from BootCamp.

That is a FACT. COUNT ON IT!

firstsgtmike
04-21-03, 06:04 PM
Oxaric,

(Quote)
"Basically if there is no real way to not hack it then really you are basically a Marine once you set foot on base right?"

(unquote)

I'm going to take the easy way out and cite a biblical reference.
Genesis; God took a piece of the slime of the earth and molded it into a man (Adam).

Until He finished, it was still slime.

When a Drill Instructor takes a piece of slime, until he is finished molding it into a Marine, it is still slime.

"Remember man, that thou art dust, and unto dust thou shalt return."

Except for Marines.

Marines are taken up, body, mind and spirit, because WE are the ones entrusted to guard the gates of heaven.

The answer to your question is NO! Not Right!

greensideout
04-21-03, 06:44 PM
firstsgtmike,

Are you saying that everyone except Marines are nothing more then slime?:D

JChristin
04-21-03, 06:47 PM
Thank you First Sgt. Mike

Love that "slime" reference! Next time I talk to my ex, I'll let him know that God isn't finished with him yet. He'll think its a term of endearment. But those in the "know" will get the truth. oooh rah!

Semper fi,
jchristin

greensideout
04-21-03, 06:57 PM
JChirstin,

Do you know why women don't need a watch?
There's a clock on the stove!

Do you know why womens feet are shorter then mens?
So they can stand close to the sink!

Do you know how many men it takes to open a bottle of beer?
None, she should have it open when she brings it!

Where's my flak jacket?!!

jhb3043
04-21-03, 07:16 PM
Not "everyone" is called "sir," the fewer and the prouder are called "mam." Otherwise, my two son's will grow up with a complex!

sorry bout that! i went to MCRD San Diego...i really dont recall seeing too much female Marines. i should have mentioned that in the post. my fault!

JChristin
04-21-03, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by greensideout
JChirstin,

Where's my flak jacket?!!

Hey, Greensideout:
I think you laid it down next to your adult Depends dispenser!:D

One thing I learned early after joining this leatherneck unit, be careful of firefights with my brother Marines. A few of you may remember one brother and I really had a good fire going a while back. I never laid down during that time of challenge. Being new around here then, I thought you all were like that!

:confused:

But he!l, I never take offense. But then again, I'm just one of those old western stubborn mules, raised in Oregon, born of Parris Island!

jhb3043:
You're cool. I remember learning to answer military phones, ending with, "how may I help you Sir." Just being acknowledged as a human being is all I can ask for, especially having two teenage boys! Besides, I'm outnumbered by men in our branch!

semper fi,
jchristin

Oxaric
04-21-03, 09:18 PM
Now that I've read my post again it sounds kind of bad. I do not think I am now a Marine nor will I be when I ship to San Diego. I realize that becoming a Marine is a 13 week process filled with pain. I just enlisted and I am slightly still nervous about my choice. I will go through with it and I know it will the best thing for me. I just know that some people can't hack it and I don't want to be one of those people. My statements were more an effort to calm myself down and think positively that 'Yes! Even though it will be hell you will make it.' I have confidence in myself but I know boot camp will probably be the toughest thing I'll ever do. I do apologize if my post seemed to be detracting from all of you and your successful graduation from boot camp. I would end this with "Semper Fi!" but I'd get blasted for not having earned that phrase so I'll just think it instead.

JChristin
04-21-03, 09:37 PM
You are on the right track Oxaric. Becoming a Marine is one of the toughest things I have ever done. There were a few times I wanted to toss in the towel and leave boot. I came from a modeling background. Joined the Marine Corps after a failed romance. I mean, where does one go after a failed romance? The foreign leagion, right?

Once I arrived at Parris Island, once I noted the changes in my peers, once I started to really feel the changes in myself, of becoming part of something far greater than self, learning to push myself beyond my limits - I mean really pushing myself beyond, I feel head over in love with the Marine Corps. The person who walked in a scared young girl and marched out a fully grown woman.

You will do just fine. Keep your eyes on the prize, keep your mind set on graduation, and work your a$$ off to earn our title, and you will do just fine. It will turn into an experience you will talk about the rest of your life.

semper fi,
jchristin

greensideout
04-21-03, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by JChristin
[B]

But then again, I'm just one of those old western stubborn mules,

Sorry to hear that! We take pride in mules here in Missouri.

They're no good for breeding of course but they sure can work.

;)

greensideout
04-21-03, 10:07 PM
Oxaric,

The Marine Corps you will meet will probally be much different then you preceived it would be.

There will be little time to think of "becoming a Marine" or "earning the title."

You will find your head spinning and your body moving with the commands of your Drill Instructors.

They expect you to do it NOW, do it Right and then do it Again!

Keep your mouth shut, your eyes and ears open, sound off when asked a question, give every demand your very best shot and who knows, you might make it.

I think YOU know.

The best to you!

firstsgtmike
04-21-03, 10:46 PM
Oxaric,

Ok. Let's talk.

I was a Recruiter, not a Drill Instructor, but I'll tell you what I know, and hopefully someone else will add more specifics.

Swimming. There is not that much time to teach swimming in boot camp. Essentially you are tested and are tagged as either a qualified or non-qualified swimmer. No problem there. EXCEPT if you demonstrate a hysterical fear of water. If they can't calm you down, you have more of a mental problem than they want to deal with.

Rifle Range. I would say that less than 2 % fail to qualify and usually it's because of nervousness they did something stupid on qualification day when they were adusting their sights. Not a reason to be dropped.

You are given an initial physical fitness test, with bare minimum requirements. If you cannot meet the minimum, you may be sent to a Special Training Platoon.

STP has four sections; Grossly overweight, underweight or understrength recruits are sent there because they need more individual attention than a regular boot platoon can offer. Once they have reaced an acceptable level, they are assigned to a regular boot platoon.

The fourth section of STP is the motivation platoon. This section is for extremists; extreme "mama's boys" who lay down, kick their heels in the ground and cry for mama to save them; or extreme wise-asses or pig-heads, or those who tried to "escape".

Notice I said "extreme". The Drill Instructor can handle about 98% of the recruits assigned to him, but there remains about 2% that he doesn't have time to play with at the expense of the rest of the platoon.

In my years on Recruiting Duty, I only had 3 that did not graduate and become Marines.

Most Recruiters have training programs, get togethers, and pt programs for their poolees. Check it out.

Also, spend much time in the two poolee forums here. Read EVERY post and follow the threads. You'll meet Poolees, soon to be's, and wannabees. They all have or had the same fears, problems, and questions that you have. You're not unique, not yet, not until you earn the title Marine.

Here's something to try. Visualize 99 guys that you know or have seen at school, interschool functions, uptown, downtown or where ever. Grade each one and give them a number grade from 1 to 100. Then give your self a grade. Where do you stack up. Top 20%, bottom 20%? Top 30%, bottom 30%? Be honest with yourself.

Then, getting your inspiration from the poolee forums, start working out, mentally and physically. Every two weeks, grade yourself again.

Do that, and I promise you; When you come back from MCRD and check your grade one more time, you'll be in the top 5%.

Now, what are you sitting on your butt waiting for? You're at your computer, start reading some of the other poolee posts.

JChristin
04-22-03, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by greensideout

They're no good for breeding of course but they sure can work.

;)

That's a basic difference between a mid-west mule and a west-coast mule, especially an Oregon mule. Oregon mules are strong, can carry a pack through any climate, have a tough hide and can endure any weather, will climb any mountain - complaining all the way - but loving it all the same. An Oregon mule can swim through any current of water, no matter how heavy the pack or demanding its master. Oregon mules have character, grace and beauty.

So tell me Greensideout, when is "turnip" day in Missouri?

semper fi,
jchristin:marine:

Oxaric
04-22-03, 04:35 AM
Thank you for all the posts! I am feeling better about my decision now and I am no longer nervous about it. I know I can make it. In 10 months I should be a Marine. If only it was sooner.

wrbones
04-22-03, 05:05 AM
Stick around, read. listen and learn, you'll be ahead of everyone in recruit training when ya get there.

Most of what yer ever gonna need to know is here. It's just a matter of readin'. I know, it sounds like work, but you'll get use to it! :D

Ya do some readin' and hae any questions, let us know. Some of the other POOL-ees who've been around here for awhile can help some, too. They've supported one another pretty well, I think.

Patrick8605
04-22-03, 04:48 PM
Ok, I got a question.... I'm 17, in pretty good shape and I want go in the Marines. Should I do the Delayed Enlistment or wait?

wrbones
04-22-03, 04:59 PM
Depends on yer situation. Ya discuss it with yer family, talk to a recruiter, and see what is best for you right now.

We've got a load of information on the site for ya. You can learn a lot here. Take a look at the POOL-ee Hall and Marine Mentor forums first. Might be some stuff that'll lead ya to re-think yer strategy. Lots of options available. That's why it's best to talk to yer local recruiter if ya can. They'll be current and be able to visit with ya face to face.

I'll see if I can get one of our active duty recruiters to answer yer question a bit better maybe.

firstsgtmike
04-22-03, 05:12 PM
Patrick,

I would suggest the Delayed Enlistment Program. Recruiting stations have special programs set up for poolees and you will meet others who have made the same committment that you did.

I can see no benefit in waiting, EXCEPT, if you use your time wisely and get with the right materials you may increase your test scores.

Talk to your local Recruiter.

Patrick8605
04-22-03, 05:17 PM
Ya, I'm really eager to go. I want to go so bad I can taste it.

JChristin
04-22-03, 05:40 PM
Patrick,

If you can taste it, then the food is found at your nearest Recruiting Station. First time I walked inside one of those, I felt as if my head was spining. It was. But wait till boot! If you have the warrior instinct, want to do something postive with your life, and think...I mean...think you got the guts, get to it. Decisions are easy to make, its the follow thorough that proves worth.

Now go, get down to the Recruiting Station and tell all of us what the experience was like.

semper fi,
jchristin:marine:

Sixguns
04-22-03, 06:46 PM
"I never laid down during that time of challenge. Being new around here then, I thought you all were like that!" -- JChristin

Being new around here we weren't sure if you were brain dead or just annoyingly aggrevating. Either way, I think you'll be found guilty!!!

greensideout
04-22-03, 08:25 PM
Patrick8605,

I was 17 when I joined the Corps. Just a farm kid looking for a chance to do something exciting, to see some other countries and drive a tank.

Well, I didn't get to drive a tank. Because of my test scores my recruiter pushed me into aviation. I just thought, he knows best and I'll go with that.

Well, I have to say that my time in the Corps was one of the best times in my life! Sitting in the door of a helo or back seat in an observation fixed wing with the finest aviators in the world is a feeling that can only be had by doing it! Oooo-Rawww

Take the advice here that you have been reading. Learn all that the Marines do and then pick from that what you want to do. Talk to your recruiter about how you can get there---to what you want to do.

You will have to study, bend books, read this site and accept advise to reach your goal.

I was 17 when I joined, worked for me.

Make sure that it works for you!

Best to you!

Patrick8605
04-23-03, 08:38 AM
Thanks for all the encouragement and advice. I know that I want a 0321 MOS, and I know that its going to be hard but thats what I want to do. One of my problems is that my dad is in the Air Force and thinks that I should go to colleg first. But.... I really want to go into the Marine Corps.

SEMPER FI

22DevilPup87
04-23-03, 09:23 AM
Have ya told your dad that enlisting the Marine Corps doesn't mean no college? I've come across a Marine that earned her BA/BS (I don't know what her degree what in.) in three years because the college gave her credit for her work as a Marine. She did that while being an active duty enlisted Marine.

And just a friendly reminder, be careful about using, "Semper Fi," around here. Ya haven't earned the right to say that yet.

Patrick8605
04-23-03, 10:07 AM
My dad knows that I can get my degree in the service but he says that it is way harder to do it.

Sorry about using Semper Fi....I'll use when I return a Marine.

22DevilPup87
04-23-03, 10:33 AM
I'm sure it probably is tough to earn your degree while active duty. My guess is that's sort of like going to school and working full time. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, though. Your parents will either come to support you or they won't. You can't change that.

Don't worry about using Semper Fi. I'm not a Marine yet either. I was just trying to save you from a Marine tellin' ya not to use it.

Patrick8605
04-23-03, 10:37 AM
Good to Go

Sixguns
04-23-03, 07:10 PM
Trust me it can be done! I am living proof!!! It's all about motivation, discipline and self-improvement!!!

Patrick8605
04-24-03, 04:52 PM
Sixguns, sir, did you enlist at 17?

Sixguns
04-28-03, 05:09 PM
Yes.

Actually I enlisted a week after my 17th birthday and shipped to recruit training 2 days after my 18th birthday. I spent a year in DEP while completing my senior year in high school.

I have both a BA in Marketing, with a minor in Multimedia and an MBA.

Put it to dad like this:

"Dad, would you rather have me pay for college or are you volunteering to pay for it all?" or "I want to take some responsibility for my education and the financial burden associated with school."

There are many others, but you get the idea. No one is saying getting your educaton in the Corps will be easy, but the things in life worth having, never are. You will be a better student after recruit training and MOS school than before.

Sixguns

Patrick8605
04-28-03, 05:15 PM
Thats cool that you signed up and got to go so quick... I wish I could. Made some bad choices and I'm paying for them now. But being homeschooled I can get stuff done quicker. So I just gotta put my mind to it and get things done. I'll definetly be a Marine no matter how long it takes me.

Sixguns
04-28-03, 07:09 PM
I think you need to slow down and read what I said or focus more in the subject area of Math.

I said I enlisted the week after my 17th birthday and went to training 2 days after my 18th birthday. I'll help you out. That's 357 days in the DEP. Seeing as one can only have 365 in the DEP, I think I was anything but a quick shipper to MCRD.

In fact, I even state I spent a year in the DEP. Not too sure what your idea of quick is but unless you're talking about a prison sentence, a year is a long time.

RoboRobinson17
04-28-03, 08:05 PM
I've spent nearly a year and a half in the DEP program.....had to get a waiver to stay so long! I enlisted my senior year of high school, and the first ship date they could have gave me would have put me about three quarters of the way through my fall semester of college. As I already had things squared away to go to school, I decided to do the Split program. Basically, I go to Boot this summer, return in time to go to my fall and spring semester, and then next summer I will finish my MOS School etc. Keep in mind I will only be Reserves. Probably do OCS or PLC to get a commision, and then go active duty. Have to know what it is to follow, before you can lead, right? Stay the course, if you want it bad enough, it will come. I leave in 28 days, 26 May 03.

Yours in Intensity,

Joe

Patrick8605
04-29-03, 08:43 AM
I was just saying that it was cool how you were in DEP.