PDA

View Full Version : Once you sign up, is processing done right away?

TO360
03-22-08, 04:47 PM
As in, once I go to the recruiter, is all the processing stuff before I ship out done right then or at least right after? I wanted to get all the stuff out of the way before I go to my cousins wedding, and then leave hopefully a week or so right afterwards.

Processing is just paperwork, IST, and the ASVAB, correct? Anywho, I should be leaving for Bootcamp in the first week of May I hope.

One more thing, is there any MOS that's combat tied but will allow me to do College at the same time? I heard Infantry and all of that, there's no time for schooling?

Thanks a lot guys.

Zulu 36
03-22-08, 05:18 PM
As in, once I go to the recruiter, is all the processing stuff before I ship out done right then or at least right after? I wanted to get all the stuff out of the way before I go to my cousins wedding, and then leave hopefully a week or so right afterwards.

Processing is just paperwork, IST, and the ASVAB, correct? Anywho, I should be leaving for Bootcamp in the first week of May I hope.

One more thing, is there any MOS that's combat tied but will allow me to do College at the same time? I heard Infantry and all of that, there's no time for schooling?

Thanks a lot guys.

These are questions for a recruiter. They can tell if you can ship in early May, or not. Boot camp boat spaces are generally planned ahead of time, not filled on the fly. Occasionally, spaces open unexpectedly and the recruiter may be able to shove you into one.

With the current ops tempo of the Corps, any combat related MOS is going to be busy with the primary business of the Corps. Your college attendance gets stuffed in when the needs of the Corps allow.

Marine84
03-22-08, 07:39 PM
I think the Corps needs to change the schedule so this one can work it into his!

crazymjb
03-22-08, 08:27 PM
Here's the procedure.
1. Meet with a recruiter, go over everything, fine details etc.
2. Prepare your "package" with your recruiter, send package to MEPS
3. Go to processing station
3a. ASVAB (vocational aptitude battery)
3b. Medical (full physical, including some wierd joint checking stuff)
3c. Moral (legal background, go over documents with big scary Marine)
3d. Swear in (take the oath of enlistment)
4. Wait for ship date
5. Go back to meps, hurry up and wait, ship
6. Wish death upon yourself and get skinny
7. Graduate

These are the basic steps you are going to take, but they can be broken up/combined to various degrees depending on what is going on. For example I met with my recruiter 6 months before I started the enlistment process. I needed a waiver so I did my package, sent it to MEPS, waited a couple months for it to get approved. After that they let me come up to make sure I would pass the physical. Went home, went back the following week after they further reviewed my package and got my waiver cleared. They made a mistake so I went home. Went back the next week and finally did the moral screening and swore in. That was in November, I ship June after graduation.

On the other hand, some people are able to get it all done in one day, right down to shipping. So basically, your mileage may vary. You seem to more or less have it down. As per the IST, they will test pullups and crunches at MEPS, but not your run. Your recruiter may IST you before hand, but if you are clearly not going to have any trouble physically they may take you at your word.

Mike

Phantom Blooper
03-23-08, 06:44 PM
and then leave hopefully a week or so right afterwards.

Maybe you can get them to go to San Diego for the honeymoon and they can drop you off at the gate.Save the government some $....do your part!:evilgrin: