PDA

View Full Version : Info on Commandants Pilot

JRHD72
03-21-08, 07:22 PM
Need Some Info. I Collect Marine Corps Related Cigarette Lighters. Have 5 Different Commandant Presentation Zippo's. Over 150 Other Lighters. One Of My Favorite Lighters Is A Presentation From Gen. L.c.shepherd To His Personal Pilot. The Pilots Initials Are C.a.w.. How Can I Get His Name?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-22-08, 07:39 AM
I made you your own thread on this one so more folks would see it.

This may, or may not, be difficult to actually track down. More than likely, his personal pilot was out of HMX-1. You might start with them, contact the PAO for the unit and simply explain what you are trying to do. Offer to provide quality photos or other information "in trade" for their information.

If the HMX-1 idea doesn't work, try getting in touch with the Marine Corps Museum, they may be able to assist you with this.

Of course, if you have a photo (or photos), by all means post them here. I've never seen one of these lighters and I doubt few have. Something from a different era for sure!

Zulu 36
03-22-08, 11:51 AM
I don't know if this makes a difference, but I have a hazy memory from my time in the Corps that the pilots for the CMC were often sergeant pilots. It seems to me that the last sergeant pilot to retire was a MGySgt who retired in the early-1970s as the CMC's pilot, and had been for quite some time.

I THINK I read about it in a Leatherneck Magazine from back then.

FWIW.

JRHD72
03-23-08, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info. If I can find where the grand kids hid my digital I will post pics of the collection.

1stRad2671
03-23-08, 04:02 PM
These days the CMC is likely flying on VMR-1 and VMR Det Andrews (MAG-49
Det.A) aircraft.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-27-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks for clearing that one up. I didn't know and wasn't for sure.

JRH, yes, please do post pics!

JRHD72
04-15-08, 08:43 PM
just added another zippo barcroft to the collection. this one was presented by assistant cmc A.A.Anderson 72-75. He was assistant during 3 of my 4 active.