PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Marines get welcome back from Iraq

thedrifter
03-22-08, 04:45 AM
Arsenal Marines get welcome back from Iraq

Posted: March 21, 2008 10:26 PM

Updated: March 21, 2008 10:30 PM

by John David

ILLINOIS QUAD CITIES -- There's a happy homecoming for some 20 Arsenal Island Marines returning from Iraq. Members of the General Support and Maintenance Company were deployed in May 2007. They're back -- or nearly home -- after supporting the global war on terror.

For one reservist's wife, Felicia Miles, the waiting is the hardest part. Family and friends fill the Quad City International Airport with a sea of red, white and blue. They're preparing for reunions and anxious to resume family life again -- especially after three deployments.

"The first time was not as bad," she recalled. "But by the time the third time rolls around, you know what's coming. You kind of dread it. I'm just glad he's coming home."

Last year there were tears and salutes as the Marines prepared to leave. It looked just like another deployment. But for the families, it was anything but ordinary.

"It's just one of those things that you pray that God will keep His hand upon them," said Joe Howard, a WW II veteran and grandfather of reservist Nate Howard. "And He has."

While in Iraq, the unit helped to keep the troops moving. They performed a variety of tasks with military vehicles and equipment.

"They're proud of me," Nate Howard said just before deploying last year. "But they're not excited about it. It's hard on them."

That pain eased considerably on Friday night. That's when familiar faces like Nate stepped through a salute of flags from the Patriot Guard to warm embraces. As the reservists begin to arrive, it's clear that there's no place like home.

"Iraq was a lot different than what I expected," Nate said on Friday. "The situation is better there, and that's a good thing."

And there's nothing quite like these reunions after accepting the call of duty. It's something that Scott Miles has accepted three times. Deployments that took him away from his wife and five children.

Stepping through the airport, he has nothing but praise for his second family in the military. And there's high marks for the reservists he led in Iraq.

"They did some pretty amazing things," he said. "This is probably in 20 some years the most fantastic group I've ever had. These guys have just been awesome."

After all of their service and sacrifice, awesome now to have them all home safely.

Ellie