PDA

View Full Version : The St. Patrick’s Day Games

thedrifter
03-21-08, 11:16 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C.-- Marines from 8th Engineer Support Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, held a St. Patrick’s Day Field Meet, here, March 18.

The field meet was a way for the Marines and sailors of 8th ESB to celebrate the life of St. Patrick, the patron saint of engineers. Patrick is credited with fostering the development of clay buildings and masonry in Ireland.

“Every St. Patrick’s Day engineers take time out and remember their heritage,” said Lt. Col. Daniel P. O’Hora, commanding officer, 8th ESB, 2nd MLG. “The field meet gives us the opportunity to do that.”

Nine events made up the field meet, pitting five of the battalion’s companies against each other in competition. Events included a one-mile relay race, a blarney stone toss and various events that pertained to the engineers’ military occupational specialties.

“We are naturally competitive,” said Sgt. Charles Flynn, with the battalions Motor Transport Section. “This competition allows us to get away from our regular work day and participate in some motivating P.T. You also get part of the day off and some good chow.”

The competition was held at a time when the battalion was reunited after deployments and at its full strength.

“This has been the first time in a year where we have been able to get the battalion together as a whole,” O’Hora said.

At the end of the day the battalion held a cook out where Marines conversed while enjoying lunch.

“No matter where I am, whether in combat or here, I always look forward to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with my fellow engineers,” stated O’Hora. “It’s part of our tradition.”