PDA

View Full Version : Marines Graduate From Special Film, TV Program

thedrifter
03-21-08, 07:15 AM
Marines Graduate From Special Film, TV Program

POSTED: 5:14 pm PDT March 20, 2008
UPDATED: 6:40 pm PDT March 20, 2008
SAN DIEGO -- Nineteen Marines are graduating from an innovative program on the back lot of Stu Segall Productions.

For 10 weeks, these wounded warriors learned to pick up and use cameras and microphones and learn virtually all other phases of television and film production.

It is a chance at a new career admittedly far different from what these Marines thought it would be.

"I planned on staying in the Marine Corps for 30 years. I was a career guy. I wanted to be a Sgt. Major someday," said ex-Marine Nick Popaditch.

Popaditch's plans changed when a rocket-propelled grenade took most of his sight.

For those who founded the school, the idea to retrain Marines for this industry was not so much as why, but why not.

Co-founder Kevin Lombard said he feels like he has gained 19 more sons. He and his wife, Judith, put up their own money to get the center off the ground.

"I've always come in and did my interviews and left and that was it. I wanted to give back," said Lombard.

Each member of this class -- the first graduating class -- earned a certificate and a union membership card to work in an industry that in many ways is like the Marine Corps.

"Attention to detail, commitment, teamwork, judgment, dependability; it's the exact same skill set but it translates very well into this field," said Popaditch.

But more than a job, the center is also about renewal and hope.

"I'm very surprised at the new things that keep revealing themselves to Nick. Amazing," said Popaditch's wife, April.

But there is no time to rest on their laurels, as the graduates immediately began documenting the rest of the ceremony.

Ellie