PDA

View Full Version : Riverside Marine welcomed home from third tour in Iraq

thedrifter
03-20-08, 10:51 AM
Riverside Marine welcomed home from third tour in Iraq
By Kristin Edwards
Staff Reporter

Calling Brenda Thibodaux a very proud mother is an understatement.

When her son, Marine Sgt. Damey McEntire, recently returned home from his third tour in Iraq, she planned three separate get-togethers for him so he could visit with friends and family and to give the public ample opportunity to meet the eight-year veteran.

“This is just the first time we’re getting together this week,” she said at Mr. Gatti’s Pizza Wednesday, where a large group of people gathered at a “Meet the Marine” event. “We’re going to be having another event tomorrow at McKenzie’s Bar-B-Que, and we’re also having a party for him Saturday at our house in Riverside. It’s really exciting.”

After posing for pictures with her son, Thibodaux addressed his congenial, happy-go-lucky attitude with a smile of her own.

“He’s always like that, and it’s pretty hard to say why,” she said. “I’m always so proud of him.”

Happy veteran

McEntire, who enlisted over eight years ago, has very much enjoyed his time in the Marines thus far.

“In about a year, I’m going to go back for my fourth tour in Iraq,” he said. “I just re-enlisted for another four years, so it’s obvious that I really enjoy what I do. I think the best parts of it are traveling and seeing different cultures and lifestyles — I like it a lot.”

During his tours in Iraq, McEntire said he has spent the majority of his time working among the Iraqi people teaching the kinds of skills necessary to maintain order.

“What we do now is try to do training for the Iraqi people,” he said. “We show them how to run their police forces and their army in an effort to help them take their country back.

“For example, we personally teach the Iraqi police about basic weapon handling, security and police work.”

One of the more serious misperceptions the public has about Iraq today, McEntire said, is that they don’t necessarily realize the amount of positive things being done by U.S. troops.

“Everything you see on the news isn’t all that’s happening,” he said. “You may not see the schools that have been rebuilt or the hospitals that have been improved.

“Regardless of the politics of how we got over there, we’re helping people rebuild their country.”

Back to reality

Sitting in Mr. Gatti’s, several people including both friends and restaurant patrons came up to shake McEntire’s hand and say “thank you.”

“This makes you realize that a lot of people appreciate what you do, that you’re not forgotten,” he said. “For me, my time in the Marines has made me more aware of the rest of the world, and being gone really makes you appreciate what you have here.”

In the future, McEntire said continuing his work as a Marine is a possibility, but it’s not the only thing he’s interested in.

“This is always one thing to do, but I’m not a fortune teller,” he said. “I’m just taking it day by day, but I definitely think I have a good job and a good career. I could also see myself doing something in business or real estate.”

While at home for a year — as McEntire explained rotations to Iraq are sent on a yearly basis — he plans to spend more time with his friends and family.

“I’ll probably be doing whatever my mom wants me to do,” he said with a smile. “I have a 1967 Mustang I like to work on, but that’s about it.”

Ellie