PDA

View Full Version : Two local Marines urge US to stay in Iraq

thedrifter
03-20-08, 04:55 AM
Two local Marines urge US to stay in Iraq
Reported by: Evan Axelbank
Wednesday, Mar 19, 2008 @06:37pm EST

These two Marines have been to war. And they could both be sent back anytime. "We know what's at stake and we know that we're involved in a war and we choose to do what we do," said 1st Sgt. Brett Scheuer. "I'll go back as many times as I have to go," said Staff Sgt. Matthew Maxwell.

But their experiences at war were different. Different jobs at different stages, in the battle for Iraq. And their stories tell the story of how the war has changed. 1st Sergeant Brett Scheuer was an engineer who helped move equipment in 2004. "The biggest thing that was going on in the time I was there was the battle for Fallujah," Scheuer said. Which was a particularly bloody period. "It was a tough time over there as far as lives lost on the American side," he said. But Staff Sergeant Matthew Maxwell got back only a few months ago, post-surge, and he describes a different Iraq, at least in some ways. "I was there in 2005 in Fallujah, and to go back, I want back to the same area of operations, the second time around, and it's amazing the progress there," Maxwell said. He describes a safer environment, not just for Americans, but for Iraqis. "Ramadi is having parades with school children, going down main street, celebrating the unity between the Iraqi police force and the community, that in 2005 would never happen," Maxwell said. And with that progress in mind, these two Marines say it would be a betrayal of their lost comrades if Iraq is allowed to slip into the hands of terrorists.

Ellie