PDA

View Full Version : Second Class Swimmer

wehr31
03-19-08, 09:10 PM
Ok. So I wanted to know if the swimming is going to be hard. I was on my school swim team. I swam the 500 which is 20 laps. I hold my school record for it. I need a 2nd class for my mos. And i wanted to know if I should try for First class. Im kinda lost in this area. The thing is this is my biggest fear and I do not no why because I am a lifeguard as well. I heard that people get kicked out and stuff.

jackson07
03-19-08, 09:15 PM
You don't get to go for 1st class in boot. You can do it in the fleet if your unit wants.

SlingerDun
03-19-08, 09:22 PM
I was on my school swim team. I swam the 500 which is 20 laps. I hold my school record for itThe swim qual is not structured for or challenging to people like yourself. You will likely be the best water dog in the series, no worries.

--->Dave

Xebec
03-19-08, 09:27 PM
I was wondering what your 500 time was?I am/was (haven't swam in a while competively) swimmer too, but the longest event I was ever in was the 200s breast and back, and occasionally a free if my coach hated me that day. But if you set your school record then should be able to get a 1st class if you LISTEN to what is being SAID. ALWAYS try to do better, don't quit at 2nd class because that's all you need. That's giving up in my point of view, and I'm sure it is the same for any Marine out there, granted I'm no Marine. As for you hearing about people getting kicked out, do you mean getting kicked out of the pool when the Marine on deck says "Get out of my pool"? If you mean the latter then I've heard that too from my recruiters and any new Marines out of boot. So, I'd do my best the first time by listening to the orders given. No what I mean?

jackson07
03-19-08, 09:32 PM
I repeat you are not tested for a 1st class swim qual in boot. You don't have any say in this. You are not allowed to test for 1st class just because you feel like it!

FistFu68
03-19-08, 09:35 PM
:evilgrin: HAVE YOU EVER DONE IT WITH FULL COMBAT LOAD, COMBAT BOOTS, HELMET; @ RIFLE AND INSTRUCTERS GRABBING YOU BY YOU'RE CHIT AND PULLING YOU UNDER IN ICE COLD WATER.IT'S CALLED DROWN PROOFING,BUT IT AIN'T CHIT;THE WORSE THAT CAN HAPPEN IS THAT THEY CAN'T REVIVE YOU AFTER DROWNING YOU.DON'T WORRY THEY CAN KILL YOU BUT THEY CAN'T EAT YOU(LMAO):D S/F THAT:iwo:

Xebec
03-19-08, 09:36 PM
I appologize Lance Corporal. I was told by recruiter it's all about how you obey orders and the Marine instructor there to see if you get a 1st or not. Once again, I appologize. I had already been typing before anybody else had posted to the original post by wehr31

jackson07
03-19-08, 11:00 PM
There are requirments you must pass to get any of the swim quals. It doesn't matter how well you listen if you still can't complete the tasks. But yes, the answer is a 1st class swim qual is impossible in boot.

And no worries xebec.

Artemis
03-20-08, 11:34 AM
Used to be that if your MOS required you to have a certain swim qual then you got that swim qual in Boot Camp. I got my 2nd class out of boot and I didn't even need it for my MOS. Things change though so who knows.

Crusader20
03-20-08, 01:34 PM
Cpl Nelly is correct. It will also depend on the MOS. But you will normally just get through it and then wait until you are in the fleet to advance. I was in the boat company for the battalion and we all had to be 1st class. If not, you were transfered to Helos or AAVs. Lucky, i was WSQ.

jackson07
03-20-08, 05:16 PM
In bootcamp everyone was able to test all the way up to second class. Those that had to have certain swim quals for their mos where put in a special group. They were given more than one chance to pass their needed qual level. No one was allowed to test for 1st class as it is not done in bootcamp.

ZSKI
03-20-08, 09:31 PM
well that all depends on the di we where only allowed 4 if your mos didn't require one.