PDA

View Full Version : Why I joined the Corps

egbutler1
03-19-08, 01:09 PM
Why I joined the Corps

I was in the 6th grade when I first looked into the Marines. I picked up a book about the Marines and needless to say I was amazed at the tradition the battles and the discipline of these stories I read in this book. Other than that book I knew nothing about the Marines. I just figured all the military was the same. At that point I was to young to really start thinking about what I wanted to do in life but the seed was planted.
It wasn’t till the 9th grade when I saw the greatest site I have ever seen walk onto my campus. A Marine Sgt in his dress blues, with all his shinny medals reflecting the sunlight into my eyes. I’m not going to say I joined the Marines for the uniforms. Not at all but that is what got my attention again. That seed that was planted years ago now started to grow.
Now 15 years old I spent my time on the internet, not this high speed click and go internet either. I’m talking AOL 56k loads a page in 5 hour’s - internet. I studied all I could about the Marines and visited the website religiously.
Back at school posters lined the hallways saying that the Marine recruiter would be in the counselor’s office today at lunch. I skipped the chow for the day and was the first one there. I saw that same Sgt but this time in his Dress Charlie’s. I walked up to him with a “I’m the **** attitude” and told him I “wanted to be a Marine”. He looked at me and said how old are you son? I told him I was 15 years old at which point he laughed and said come see me in 2 years kid and than maybe, just maybe we will take you.
I couldn’t believe that he just sent me on my way and didn’t give a dang about me. So now I wanted to show this Sgt that I meant business. Their recruiting station was right next to the Army RSS much like they always are. So I went out there and made sure this Marine Sgt who didn’t care if I enlisted or not saw me walk into the Army’s office. I had no intention of ever joining the Army but I wanted this Marine Sgt to do his job and recruit me.
The Army was more than happy to accommodate me way to quickly, they started telling me all these stories about how I could join the Army with no hassle and how the Army offers money for enlistment. But after the Army talked to me for about an hour I felt as though I had betrayed the Corps that I was not even a part of yet. So I left the Army RSS with my head held low felling like crap.
It wasn’t till the Army wanted me so oh so bad that I realized what this Marine Sgt recruiter was doing. I thought back to the book I read years ago that planted the seed of the Corps in my mind. The Marine Corps is not “be all you can be” or “an Army of one” it was something much greater than that. The Corps has traditions and great honor you are not given a title, you had to earn it. The recruiter was just upholding the Corps honor and traditions he was making sure that I would not jack all that up. Not just anyone can join the Marines and your selection process begins long before you even realize it. It is a Marine recruiter’s job to pick the best of the best and not give the FMF crap.
It blew my mind how someone who’s promotion, pro/cons or fitrep depended on how many people they enlisted could turn away a +1 in their book and on the RSS quota. I guess what I’m saying in all this is that experience explains exactly what the Marine Corps is about. The Corps is the best of the best and you can’t be that way by being like the Army, Air force or Navy who are at it for numbers more often than not. To uphold the values of the Corps, its traditions and battle record you can not just have anyone who walks into the recruiting station sign up. If the Corps did that they would be no different than any of the other armed services. It was these facts that made me want to be the best of the best – a US Marine and I did it and earned the title of Marine which I could not be more proud of.

CplKJSpevak
05-17-08, 06:07 PM
I remember the Navy recruiter saying to me, "You've talked to the Marines? Well,just to give you a heads up they are phasing the Marine Corps out, they won't be around in 3-5 years!" This was in 1991.....
I only talked to the Army Sgt. because my best-friend (weight lifting buddy, fellow offensive lineman) was joining the Army.....It broke both of their hearts when I said " Well Sgt. St*&^ I appreciate all the time you've put in to me, But you guys just aren't the Marine Corps".......Now in 1991 the ONLY reference that I ever had to Marine Corps Boot camp was Full Metal Jacket and Horror stories of those who have been through it....Plus our Marine Corps recruiters were great, their attitude was "Don't waste our time if your not serious" Best decision I ever made was going in the Marine Corps.....worst was getting out in '96.....Semper Fi!................By the way, My best friend got out of his enlistment to the Army and joined the Corps 6 months after I went to boot camp...He was impressed about something when we were hanging out after my graduation from Parris Island!

NicholasITALY
05-18-08, 05:11 PM
I'm a 16 years old guy from italy. Studying hard for the diploma and working hard to save some money for the US.
My dream is to become a US Marine. I am giving EVERYTHING I have for that.
That means study till I get the diploma, working hard to save money.
Once I got my diploma I'm going to the US Embassy in Italy. I'm gonna tell them I'd like to join the Marine Corps. If they give me the "GO" I'm gonna have to have the balls to move to the US, then enlist in the Marines. If my application is accepted, and I pass the BCT etc and earn the title of US Marine well I'm just gonna be a PROUD man.
From here in Italy to join the Marines is not that easy, it's gonna be tough. But like my sig say: "I'm a guy who is giving ALL to become a US Marine".
I wanted to be a US Marine since I was 14. And if you ask me why would you join the Marines and not the Italian Army, well my answers are too many. One of them is because I feel American, not Italian. And I'm ready to defend my country against enemies. I'm proud of the United States and of the US Costitution.
For me to join the Marines it's about Honor. And something else that I can't explain but that I got and feel inside of me.
I can't say Semper Fidelis right now. But I'm sure I will.
I AM GIVING ALL.

CplKJSpevak
05-18-08, 05:38 PM
One of my good friends in the Corps came over from Ireland.....about 6 months before enlisting! Good Luck

darkgreen0311
05-18-08, 05:54 PM
I remember when i was about ten years old and riding with my father. I remember seeing a Marine Corps billboard off the interstate. I told my father that's what i'm going to be when i grow up. I remember my father saying before you can do anything you have to graduate high school. That was my goal to graduate high school and become a Marine.

I joined to be one of the best and most dangerous and feared warriors on the planet need i say anymore.

:marine: :flag: Semper Fi 4 Life
Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

anewpariah
08-26-08, 04:06 PM
well those are very good stories. My reason is not so.... virtuous.
I was 17 and had my own place. One night i had a bad trip on "shrooms". Thought I was f-ing up my life and here I am. hahahaha. Some might not believe me but it's oh so true. I wish I had some life ful-filling destiny but honestly I didn't even think about the military until I realized I was an undisciplined little sh*t. But I'm glad to this day that I had that bad trip.

Scooby028
08-26-08, 04:27 PM
I cant remember exactly but dad said the day my uncle showed up in his blues the look of the three year old told the whole story as he looked up at him. Mistake getting out, not really everything happens for a reason but here I am 10 yrs after my eas working my tail off to get back in!!! Never really relized cake eatin civilian was so hard to get out of the system lol

jrhd97
08-26-08, 04:40 PM
Was something I wanted to do for a long time. First the Army then when we took a vacation to D.C and saw the Silent Drill Team at the Iwo memorial, my mind was changed forever. I told Dad I was joining the Marines, he laughed and said OK we'll talk in a couple years. I was 12. I knew he was in in 1964 or 1965 and was going to prove to him I could do it. I was like some of these Poolees here, eat, sleep, shat Marine Corps. There was no question in any body's mind about what I was planning. I am the only one in my class of 42 people that joined the Marines.
The other reason, beside God, Flag and Apple Pie was there was no jobs were a dang. All the mills closed, nothing was left worth having. I was going to get out of the area and I was going to use the Corps to do it.

Eric Hood
08-26-08, 05:15 PM
Nicholas!
Good luck my friend. It is hard for a non resident to get in the Corps. Keep us informed.
Eric

Sgt Jim
08-26-08, 07:33 PM
Oct.1969,i was 17 years old.not in school,no job.Went to see Air Force recruiter,no go,he took me to see Marine recruiter,the rest is history.OOOrah.

FistFu68
08-26-08, 08:19 PM
:evilgrin: MY PAPA BEING A U.S.ARMY LIFER ONCE SAID,JACK; ONE THING I CAN SAY ABOUT THE MARINES IS THAT THEY NEVER LEAVE THEIR OWN HANGING.THAT WAS 1960 WHEN I WAS 10.PLUS THEM DRESS BLUES WERE KILLER!!!SEMPER~FIDELIS:marine: :thumbup:

sparkie
08-26-08, 08:45 PM
one half was john Waynes fault,,, The other half was my Azz Hole brother saying I couldn't make it. I guess that is 100%. "Cept for I loved my momma, apple pie, and my country. Thats the other half of the 100%.

Phantom Blooper
08-26-08, 09:04 PM
How many halves make a whole?:evilgrin:

jeffsnff89
08-26-08, 11:32 PM
First Time I went to a Marine Recruiter I couldn't Find their office but I saw the Navy office so I went in there and asked "Excuse me, but where is the Marine Recruiting office?" Oh it was not a happy day for them, they kinda looked at me funny and asked why I wanted to join them and told them that I want to serve my country be the best and have a challenge they got even a little more upset and told me they were about 20 yards behind me. That was my first and last time going in there the Marines thought it was quite funny though.

sparkie
08-27-08, 05:43 PM
How many halves make a whole?:evilgrin:
I said what I said... I figgered a math fenatic would come outta the closet. :beer:

outlaw3179
08-27-08, 07:27 PM
I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.

seriously though, I just thought it would be hard. I wanted something that would challenge me , and something that would set me apart from the masses. I also figured Id probably be able to pull some ass wearing Dress Blues. :)

Javier1373
09-03-08, 11:39 PM
I was a freshman in high school sitting in detention when the teacher wheeled in a tv. She announced that the Gulf War had begun. The news anchor was talking and mentioned the Marine Corps and showed some Jarheads. No mention of the army.

Over the next few years, I tossed around the idea of joining the armed forces. My uncle was an Army SF guy who served in Vietnam. He wanted me to join the Army and he would get me into Ranger school. I thought about it but told him that I wanted to earn my way. He understood and up to the day he died, he was happy with my decision.

Fast forward to my senior year. We had only been in school for about a month. While staring out the window not listening to the teacher, I see this Dark Green Marine recruiter strutting up the front walk of the school. I think, "Fvck, that guy's bad @ss."

I had already talked to the Navy recruiter and I had to go see him later that month. Since their offices were next to eachother, I stopped in to see the Marine recruiter. Inside was this big ass recruiter curling 2 45lb plates on each side of his ez curl bar. I didn't even hesitate and started the paperwork. The Navy recruiter was ****ed and later on my recruiter told me they were getting ready to go to the tree line to settle it.

I told my mom I wanted to join and the Marine recruiter was coming over to talk to them. She hung the telephone up on me.

I will never regret being a Marine. My only regret is not staying in but I wouldn't be a cop. It's helped me in so many ways. When I got hired on as a cop, my interview was about the Corps and a little about why they should hire me. Needless to say, I was hired.

Now I just need to convince my wife that my 3 year old son WILL join when he is old enough.

polizei
09-22-08, 08:27 PM
I've been thinking about the corps for the past year and a half. The main reason for the hesitation is that I already have my path selected, I'm going to be a Police Officer.

I still have not 100% made up my mind to join, but it is progressively leaning towards it. I feel as though it is something I need to do, it's something I want, and I want the title of a United States Marine. I'm currently 19 years old, in my first year of college. I have a good head on my shoulders and want to better improve myself. I also want the most experience I can yet, because a Police Officer is a very competitive job!

I have one question for all you Marines - is MP limited to Active only? If I ever do join, I would go Reserve 100% at Parris Island, SC.

-Cody

sparkie
09-22-08, 10:02 PM
How could an MP not be active????? If ever you join,,,,,, Join the Army. Marines are Marines at birth,,,,, It's what they do.

polizei
09-23-08, 07:20 AM
I'm sorry, but I would not want to go Army. Marines are the best of the best, there is a reason there is a lower enlist number, and if I'm going to put my life on the line for this country, I damn well want to die as a Marine.

-Cody

THAT AINT IT
09-23-08, 10:37 AM
I was 11 years old at a 4H camp back home right after September 11th and the theme that year was something patriotic. But anyways we were standing in line to check in and then there were 3 Marines yelling and screaming at us. I loved every second of it. I remember one of the Marines had a NCO sword tattoo that went from his armpit all the way down to his ankle. But anyways after the camp was over I told my mom that one day I was going to be a Marine. That's one half of it...the other half was because people told me I couldn't do it.

2ndCEBSupply
09-23-08, 02:10 PM
I never thought about being a Marine till i was walking to school on a half day and was stoped by two white recruiter asking me if i wanted a ride to school. I told them F##k NO!!! Jump in a car with two white guys in uniform driving a goverment vehicle. I thought they were child molesters. I later saw them at school the next day and asked if they were the same guys that offered me a ride, they responded F##k NO!!! I went to bootcamp 4 months later.

YutYut
09-23-08, 07:29 PM
I never had dreams of becoming a Marine as a kid. I never thought about the military at all, in fact. It wasn't until I guess March 2003 or so, I came home from work and saw some report about some soldiers taken prisoner. I remember thinking "I hope those military people come home safe." The next day I saw some bunk report about all of those soldiers being executed. One was a single mother with two kids. That hit home pretty hard as my mother had no help and had two kids. Anyway, I got p*ssed and started going off on one of my infamous rants, *****ing about how that's bullsh*t and I'm going to join now even though **I** may not make a difference, many people with the same goal definitely can. So a month later a Marine recruiter rescued me from my job at the local grocery store, stocking bread (awesome!), and brought me to the RSS. After filling out a bunch of paper work and setting a date to go to MEPS for the first time, I went home and told my mom and step dad. They were surprised, but supportive. I went and told my dad. He said "that's stupid! The governement doesn't care about soldiers! If you die, they'll find someone else to replace you!" Then he told me in the most elequent way a father can..."you're a smart kid. You're not tough. You'll never make it." Fast forward 7 months later, I came home claiming the Title. Then, I meet my daggon wife, get married, buy a house, and get out. I hope this story ends with me winning the lottery for enough to pay off the house and all these bills in the next few months. Re-enlisting will be SO much easier. But then again...why would a Marine want something to come easy?? :iwo:

These were Deep Thoughts with Sgt Lawler

sparkie
09-23-08, 07:36 PM
So, you fell for this,,,,,,
So did a lot of us. Semper Fi.
http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.usmcstore.com/images/Posters/tell%2520it%2520to%2520the%2520Marines.gif&usg=AFQjCNEYAFzAgK5rB7CH6pG5DJzmJHOrkw

YutYut
09-23-08, 07:44 PM
I did indeed, sir...

sparkie
09-23-08, 07:56 PM
You callin ME sir? Boot. LOL. Love ya, Marine. As I have said before,,,,,,, You were born a Marine.

YutYut
09-23-08, 07:59 PM
Well, my mother always told me to be respectful to really old people...:marine:
Thanks Sparkie, love you too bro.

Troutzilla
09-23-08, 09:24 PM
Believe it or not, it was the fate of an Air Force guy that sent my ass to the nearest recruiter. My dad's life long best friend had a son who went to the Air Force academy....ended up flying Phantoms.He was shot down on November 9th ,1967. I was a mere lad of 16 and Vietnam was only a story I had seen on the news...I'd ask my dad if they had ever found Lance or heard from him,but I'd always get the same answer..."not yet". Well ,that wasn't good enough for me. Things were going much to slow. In April of 1969 this naive little 17 yr old joined the Corps in hope of going over seas to be able to search for our friend. Key word here is NAIVE! I've included a link to a story about my friend Lance Peter Sijan. I never got a chance to look for him.

http://www.af.mil/news/airman/0196/sijan.htm

tripledog
09-28-08, 12:25 AM
I was brought up in front of the judge, unfornuately the same one I had seen on numberous occastions, and the said "this time you ******* fool, you really did it. I am going to give you hard time". He then offered me a deal, join the service, get the hell out of town, or go down the river. Right then and there I just knew I was born to be a military man.
I tried to find the easiest service, I was told to NEVER , NEVER join the corps, or I would go to Leavenworth within 3 days.
49 years later if that stupid ass judge was still alive, I would go kiss his ass.

coffeejoejava
10-09-08, 11:34 AM
It was always meant to be with me I guess. My Dad was a Marine Corps Pilot and I kindaa grew up in it. I had my rebelious streak that lasted a lot longer than most (26!!) I joined and stepped on the footprints on my 27th birthday.
God knows what would have happened to me if I had not joined. The Corps has given me a life that I could have only dreamed of before.

I LOVE THE CORPS!!!

Blizter Soup
10-09-08, 12:40 PM
I just graduated high school. didn't know what to do. couldn't really afford college. a buddy of mine suggested that we join the Marine Corps. so off we went to the recruiter. Turns out he couldn't pass the asvab and eventually lost interest despite my efforts to help him out. I got in. earned the EGA, Did my service honorably, got out. I got money to pay for college, now. Just glad to know that I could've been working at 10 bucks an hour somewhere had I not joined. Oh and about that buddy of mine who suggested that we join the Corps? He pretty much still has the same ****ty job to this day.

avenger08
10-10-08, 02:16 AM
i remember i was in the 8th grade and i was doing a school report on the different branches of the military, i had always wanted to be a pilot like tom cruise on top gun, but i was going into the recruiting offices and trying to find information of the different branches of the military, all of the recruiters from the army, navy, and airforce all laughed at me and told me to get the **** out of their offices, so i decided i might as well try the marines, so i went into the marine corps office and they accepted me as an equal right away, told me a 6th grader that i should come to some of the dep functions and work out with the other poolee's so from that day on i knew i was going to join the marines. and to this day i still thank those 4 marine recruiters for giving a little kid a chance. semper fidelis to all of the marine recruiters i know. " ssgt gonzalez, sgt james, sgt dittillo, sgt howle, cpl luzaider, ssgt madson, ssgt ludlow, sgt darby, ssgt hamblin, semper fidelis guys and hopefully we will meet up again someday.

mynameispawpaw
10-10-08, 04:28 AM
My experience began in 1990 when I was 3 years out of high school, thought I knew it all, etc.... I had been working in a machine shop and making some real money for a change after high school, (7.50 an hour+ overtime), when I was laid off along with 33% of the work force within the company. After about 3 days of looking for a job and finding none, I did what my dad had been instructing me to do for years. I went looking at the military. I went down to the recruiter's office, promptly walked into the Army recruit station and there sat this little, fat, unsat., balding, army recruiter with a totally f***ed up uniform on and a mouth full of tobacco that was falling out of his mouth. He looked up from his desk and asked, " Can I help you?" It took me all of about 3 seconds to say no and did an about face. I went to the Marine recruiter's office next door and as soon as my foot crossed the plane of that hatch, a 6'4" Marine in dress blue Deltas jumped up and greeted me at the door with his hand outstretched. He introduced himself and asked if he could help me and I told him to sign me up right then. As they say, the rest is history, and if I would have been smart, I would have done this at 18 instead of 22 and would still be in the Corps upholding the traditions.

marinegirl12
10-11-08, 07:07 PM
To be a United States Marine is more than any typical United States citizen could ever accomplish therefore it is an organization of the few and the proud. “Once a Marine, Always a Marine” holds no gender boundaries. Women have become a big part of the history of the Corps as well. I wanted to be a part of that history and I decided to sacrifice all personal opinions, comforts and life to take on the status of a United States Marine. My family was proud as most are. My father was especially proud because he served two years in the Marine Corps. I think joining made our relationship better as we didn’t have much of one before. Friends were proud of me too but would never understand the changes I made. I came along way from growing up in a childhood of not having much money for anything and where my parents put me second. I proved anyone can overcome anything and do great things in life no matter how they’re brought up. I was ecstatic with my new journey in life as a United States Marine.

Being a Marine means being part of one of the greatest military organizations in history. In my time as a Marine I’ve learned many things. I became part of a team and worked together to get the job done. I also acquired skills to problem solve and apply logistics to situations to get the job done. I learned to be independent and responsible. I gained self-confidence and the courage to do things I had never done before. I am honest, dependable and organized and was able to show my qualities when performing my duties. I have found that I am able to overcome obstacles and achieve anything I set my mind to do so. I came to understand that always striving to better myself and education is really important. I attended college for the first time in my life after a Marine I worked with motivated me in that direction. I started believing in myself and realized I have accomplished so much. I have lived by standards that others will seek to emulate. Not anywhere else would you find someplace to work where someone would do anything to help a fellow Marine in a time of need and have your back at any moment.

As Marines we stick out because of our professionalism, manner, and the way we handle the job. Being a Marine means doing whatever it takes to protect themselves, their fellow comrades, their family, and their nation. The most important thing that I will ever take from the Marine Corps is the sense of family and camaraderie.

Marine84
10-11-08, 09:32 PM
Cause I was looking for a few good men my damn self! (GAH! I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO USE THAT!)

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first. Chose the Corps because I knew it was the toughest one to get through and I wanted to see if I could do it. The selling point for me was when I learned if I went through Marine Corps boot camp and later decided to go into another branch, I wouldn't have to go through their boot camp. If I chose any of the other branches first and later decided to go in the Corps, I would have to go through boot camp AGAIN. I figured I would do it right the first time.

Besides, our Blues ARE the finest looking uniforms of ALL branches! You could put the ugliest creature God ever put breath into in a set of Blues and make him/her look good.

Troutzilla
10-12-08, 12:15 PM
Cause I was looking for a few good men my damn self! (GAH! I LOVE IT WHEN I GET TO USE THAT!)

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first. Chose the Corps because I knew it was the toughest one to get through and I wanted to see if I could do it. The selling point for me was when I learned if I went through Marine Corps boot camp and later decided to go into another branch, I wouldn't have to go through their boot camp. If I chose any of the other branches first and later decided to go in the Corps, I would have to go through boot camp AGAIN. I figured I would do it right the first time.

Besides, our Blues ARE the finest looking uniforms of ALL branches! You could put the ugliest creature God ever put breath into in a set of Blues and make him/her look good.

Don't know you well enough Marine84 to know whether or not you found "a few good men", but I'm willing to bet you found yourself and haven't looked back since....SEMPER FI SISTER !!

Zebra29er
10-24-08, 07:17 PM
I was brought up in front of the judge, unfornuately the same one I had seen on numberous occastions, and the said "this time you ******* fool, you really did it. I am going to give you hard time". He then offered me a deal, join the service, get the hell out of town, or go down the river. Right then and there I just knew I was born to be a military man.
I tried to find the easiest service, I was told to NEVER , NEVER join the corps, or I would go to Leavenworth within 3 days.
49 years later if that stupid ass judge was still alive, I would go kiss his ass.

TD sir; my story is about the same , I was standing before the judge at 17 with a juvie officer standing on one side and a Marine Recruiter standing on the other side and the judge said " son I'm going to give you a choice , ether you go with the Marine or you go with the officer for for 4 years" , and I looked at that recruiter in his "Dress Blues" and said thats for me , and they sent my juvie records ahead of me to MCRD-PI and when I got off the bus ,I got an attitude adjustment before falling in , made E-2 out of boot and never once to this day regretted my choice , this was in 1960

ecfree
10-24-08, 07:44 PM

Seriously................cause that was the quickest way for me to get out of Union SC without having to save up money first.

Hey Kim,Union misses darlin......:banana:

ecfree
10-24-08, 08:06 PM
I joined The Corps to stay out of trouble.
I was hangin with the wrong crowd,they laughed and said I'd never make it through boot camp.
After getting thumped a few times by the SDI,I decided I was going to be a Marine and make those guys eat their words plus more..:beer:

sadibenz
10-24-08, 09:20 PM
I can remember when I was about 8 or 9 years old in 29 Palms watch the Drum and Bugle Corps one Veterans day ceremony . I knew then, I wanted to be one of them. They were so impressive and every got quiet when they marched by.

Drill for life
10-25-08, 04:58 PM
Well I just enlisted. I have wanted to be a Marine since I was five. I was in the mall and got lost and my mom always told me to find somebody in uniform so I fiund a guy in blue pants( a marine recruiter) he took me to the recruiting office and calle mall security. He was doing paperwork and put on this video of Marine Interviews. I saw this baldheaded guy show up on the screen with these gold wings and this scuba mask and i noticed this uniform guy at the desk had the exact same badges. I was a little kid so I asked him waht they where. He took off his Jump wings,EGA, and scuba badge and handed them to me, he told me something I'll never forget"Sacrifice everything for nothing, give your life for people who don't give a ****, get yelled at, and you know what love every minute of it. Marines have a fire nobody else has, they want to die for there country they fight so you can sit here and ask me questions, do you know you have waht it takes, also the Marines jsut look good" I said yes and my mom came and the recruiter came and shook my hand and gave me a Marine T-shirt, I still have it and still wear it.

SGT7477
10-25-08, 05:13 PM
Don't forget to wear the t-shirt to boot camp.

outlaw3179
10-25-08, 05:18 PM
Don't forget to wear the t-shirt to boot camp.

lol...I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Marines are Marines and will never stop being Marines. Semper Fi.

SGT7477
10-25-08, 10:38 PM
lol...I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Marines are Marines and will never stop being Marines. Semper Fi.

You got that right brother,lmfao.:flag:

TJKUSMC
10-27-08, 04:56 PM
There were a lot of reasons why I joined the corps. I had a few friends who signed up and I decided to do the same. I graduated high school this past June and went to MCRD a month later for boot camp. The main reason was to become apart of the most elite fighting force in the world and become a part of the tight family. Signing that piece of paper at MEPS was the best decision of my life and I think every 18 year old kid should go through it. Semper Fi. :flag:

pheartnov2904
11-05-08, 03:21 PM
I joined to serve the US and to train and deploy all over the world.

Semper Fi

Enigmatic
11-06-08, 09:48 AM
I honestly just joined on a whim. I had just graduated from high school and I knew very little about the Marine Corps. My brother-in-law's cousin had just graduated from MCRD and he stopped by in his Chucks. Asked if I was interested in talking to a recruiter (he wanted to get that PFC). I said sure, why not?

Went to the recruiter's office, first thing the SNOIC, SSgt (now GySgt) Casillas said to me was "If you're going to be just another sh*tbag you may as well get the f*ck out my office now!" Apparently the last couple of prospects he had seen had been just completely unsat, disrespectful and whatnot. Well, I didn't know what the hell a sh*tbag was, but I was certain I wasn't one of them. So I sat down and talked to him for about an hour, and I thought "Well, why the hell not? It's just four years, and none of the colleges I wanted accepted me anyway. I'll be 23 when I get out, still young and I'll have some military experience under my belt" So I joined up.

Little did I know this decision would affect me for the rest of my life. I thank God as often as I can that I decided to embark on that journey and I am very proud to have served in our beloved Corps.

Maldonado 2060
11-06-08, 01:35 PM
it was some time in the late 80's while i was watching G.I. joe.It was commercial time and i was gonna go and bother my mother(rip). While leaving the room they show a marine crawling, jumping and fighting this huge lava monster that even sgt.slaughter wouldve called the rest of the joes so the marine is giving this monster the buisness then he stands with his sword and did some quick close order drill while transforming into his dress blues and the barry white sounding guys saying "The Few,The Proud,The Marines." from that moment on i knew i wanted to "be all i can be" a Marine. OORAH

malicenfz
11-09-08, 10:03 PM
I joined for the working parties and for the Firewatch, for the Remedial PT and for the long cold wet nights in the field, I joined to do what no one else I know can even begin to comprehend, I joined to shoot and blow s#!t up, I joined so that September 11th never happens again, and the dress blues aren't too shabby either, but most of all I joined because everyone looks up to Marines, no one looks down on them and that's something I am and will be proud to tell my children and grandchildren.

Jginzo83
11-16-08, 11:21 AM
Some people achieve greatness,others have it thrust upon them,then there are those that are born UNITED STATES MARINES..... Semper fi

03grunt11
11-19-08, 08:00 PM
I join the Marine Corp for the money not (lol) and the day off.....

savasbeatie
12-08-08, 11:31 AM
Hello,

I have learned more about the Marines from this book:

Below is a link to a Hollywood-style book trailer for "Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery," by Nick Popaditch with Mike Steere (Savas Beatie, October 1, 2008).

http://www.onceamarine.com/once-a-marine-movie

Make sure you watch to the very end for a "special" photo message from "Gunny Pop" Nick. I know you will appreciate seeing him.

Nick "Gunny Pop" Popaditch is a former marine Gunnery Sergeant, a Silver Star winner, a 15-year veteran of the USMC, and was widely known around the world as "The Cigar Marine:" (Google it.). His tanks captured Firdos "Saddam" square in April 2003 and pulled down the hated statue. Nick was severely wounded one year later with an RPG to the head, which was captured live by a media news crew. He had to fight his way through an incredible odyssey of turmoil, heartbreak, and bureaucracy to recover everything he had lost. His website is [/URL][URL="http://www.onceamarine.com/"]www.onceamarine.com (http://www.onceamarine.com/).

If you know anyone in the media who you think would be interested in interviewing "Gunny Pop," don't hesitate to call or email them and let them know.

We appreciate your support of Nick and his family in any way you are able. The success of this book will open doors for this blind warrior, and hopefully provide revenue and success to someone who has sacrificed so much for his country.

Thank you.

Tammy Hall
Sacramento, California

SgtLuttrell
01-14-09, 11:28 AM
I got lost on the way to college...

Marine84
01-14-09, 06:30 PM
I got lost on the way to college...

LOL!

I stumbled into the wrong door on the way into my apartment after a wild drinking night.

fespar
01-28-09, 02:25 AM
X-mas 1971,I picked up a copy of Leon Uris' first book "Battle Cry."He describes his boot-camp experience at MCRD,San Diego in 1942.I couldn't believe what those recruits had to go through.I was amazed,to say the least,at what they accopmlished.As it all seemed impossible,I had to go there.As I was a foreign citizen living abroad,it took me 9 years and 4 months before I had all the neccessary documents to enlist only to find out I was too old.I was granted an age waiver and at the age of 30 I enlisted and went thru boot-camp at MCRD,SD.Best thing I ever did!Long live the Corps!:iwo::flag::evilgrin:

hrscowboy
01-28-09, 04:39 AM
I joined because i was mean and ugly and there wasnt anybody else in the hood to beat on...Thats why i took up riding bulls. hahahaha Semper Fi

charm1110
01-28-09, 12:54 PM
I was 9 yrs. old and my mother and I were visiting my uncle and his family, so he had his "Man Room" where kid's weren't allowed mostly 'cause he had a bunch of model cars and planes that he collected and built since he was a kid. anyway my cousin and I snuck in and I saw his Dress Blues hanging in the closet. When he caught us looking thru his room he beat our asses. I asked him about the uniform and he said "Look at it 'cause you'll never put it on" My mother and I left and I never saw my uncle again for almost 30yrs. when I saw him at the age of 36(my age) and told him why I became a Marine he said " There's a sucker born every minute" Now we're very close friends. BTW my other uncle was also a Marine so it kinda runs in the family I guess

fespar
02-10-09, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah,forgot!I also saw the 1957 French documentary "Les Marines" depicting boot-camp at Parris Island.35 years later I managed to get a copy of it!

Ronald Nalikak
02-11-09, 03:41 PM
I called the Navy recruiter in 76 and he was out to lunch literally.
The Marine Corps Recruiter stayed at his post when the other armed service representative (recruiters) had taken off at noon for lunch. He dazzled me, and wowed me like a virgin on a first date. Next thing I woke up and my right hand was raised and I was saying "I do"
Skimo

giveen
02-11-09, 03:43 PM
It was either the Corps or the circus.

But after being in, the more I realize that the Corps is the circus.

mpellie
02-17-09, 08:30 PM
My father served in the Army, as well as my grandfather....he left my mom before I was born...Fast forward 13 years, my aunt (whom I also count as my best friend) married a former Marine Recon...

lthunder
02-17-09, 09:11 PM
All girls fall for a man in uniform...

NewHarleyGear
02-17-09, 10:04 PM
Runnin from the law. Didn't get caught (nothing really serious), but they were on my trail. Came home and told my Mom I was heading out in three days. Hello Marine Corps!

FemaleDevilDawg
02-18-09, 01:51 AM
Honestly I had never even thought of joining any military branch. I have always been a pretty tough female, very tomboyish and I really just don't put up with sh*t that is all there is to it. My dad took me to talk with the Air Force guy when I was in 10th grade and he started talkin all this trash about how easy it was and how females really don't have to do the same things as the men and blah blah blah. Yeah no I moved on. That was when I decided it wasn't for me cause I wanted something where I was going to be treated the same. End of story! Later went in to see the Army guy and he was just an azz took a look at me and I was about 100 pounds and 4'11" at the time, he told me I would never make it. So I walked out of there and went into the Navy. Guy there said pretty much the same thing the Air Force guy said. So I said forget it and went home. After I graduated the Marine Corps guys kept calling me and driving me nuts but I didn't want to see em cause I figured they would say the same things the others had said. One day the SSgt caught me in a good mood so I went to listen. Was there four hours and heard that it was going to be tougher than sh*t to go through, that women had to do pretty much the same sh*t and that the standards were much higher than any other branch and I asked them "where do I sign". They told guys for years after that there was a girl that had bigger balls then them in there that signed after only 4 hours. I never looked back and regretted it either. Semper Fi!!!!

chris gervais
02-18-09, 09:03 PM
My steep son has wanted to be a marine scence he was about six, he watched one of those war time shows on the history chanel and was hooked on beeing a marine now he is going to be a door kicker when he ships out later this month.

lthunder
02-18-09, 09:51 PM
The Marines at 76+ is impressilve. I remember shooting cards with half of em, and no one here cuts it. To be a Marine is to be ontop, no matter what. This is always an overstatement, being a Marine...

SGT7477
02-19-09, 07:21 PM
My steep son has wanted to be a marine scence he was about six, he watched one of those war time shows on the history chanel and was hooked on beeing a marine now he is going to be a door kicker when he ships out later this month.
How about a profile and Marine is to be capitalized at all times.:evilgrin:

lthunder
03-07-09, 02:21 AM
How about a profile and Marine is to be capitalized at all times.:evilgrin:

Sir, yes, sir. Still recognizing the rank of command. Isn't that peachy?

Sgt Leprechaun
03-10-09, 05:57 AM
All:

IThunder is quite llikely a despicable poser. Disregard anything written or stated.

To begin with, you have an incomplete profile. Until you complete same, you will get no further response (nor should you) from anyone on this site, effective now. And, until you explain yourself, fully, to a moderator, expect to hear black helicopters coming to extract your butt from this site and be eliminated from cluttering up our area.

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I will be posting this response after every single thing you put here as a warning to other Marines, Marine friends, and poolees. Suggest you unfrack yourself ASAP.

Regarding THIS post, obviously, you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sgt7477, steps are being taken to remedy the issue. See above for guidance.

v/r

SGT7477
03-10-09, 09:37 AM
Ok Sgt Lep we will see what we get from his peachy response, Semper FI.

GSEMarine94
03-10-09, 10:01 AM
I was born an Army brat, dad was a Vietnam tanker. I never wanted to join because of him, he had a lot of problems both physical and mental after he got back, enough so that he became violent against his own family. My mom divorced him and took my brother and I with her. I didn't get to see him much after that but when I did he would always say that the military would be the best thing for me (I was a wild child to say the least). When he died I was only 20 but being that he had never remarried I was his next of kin and had to go thru all of his stuff. I found a letter he had written to my mom, my brother and I, explaining his feelings and why he was so messed up. After reading it and crying for hours I understood his problems, and then and there I decided that I was going to make him proud of me, so I joined the most difficult branch of the military.
Oh by the way he was right, the military was the perfect thing for me.

KawiGunny
03-10-09, 10:22 AM
I always wanted to follow in my Dad's footsteps. He served in the Corps from '53 - '57 timeframe. He always talked about those being the best years of his life and how much the Corps set him up for success. After he got out, he became a LEO in Little Rock. I used to go ride with him from time to time and I knew most of the Officers on the force. I joined the Little Rock Police Department the day my Dad retired. I loved it but I had a need for more adreneline. My best friend was in the DEP and he was out at my house talking about going to bootcamp. My Dad overheard us talking and put his two cents in. I thought about it for a couple of days and decided "what the he!!". I joined with my friend and shipped out a month later. Never looked back for over 20 yrs. Semper Fi

SGT7477
03-10-09, 12:17 PM
I was born an Army brat, dad was a Vietnam tanker. I never wanted to join because of him, he had a lot of problems both physical and mental after he got back, enough so that he became violent against his own family. My mom divorced him and took my brother and I with her. I didn't get to see him much after that but when I did he would always say that the military would be the best thing for me (I was a wild child to say the least). When he died I was only 20 but being that he had never remarried I was his next of kin and had to go thru all of his stuff. I found a letter he had written to my mom, my brother and I, explaining his feelings and why he was so messed up. After reading it and crying for hours I understood his problems, and then and there I decided that I was going to make him proud of me, so I joined the most difficult branch of the military.
Oh by the way he was right, the military was the perfect thing for me.
Good job Marine my wife was a nurse for the VA and said the most problems are with the Nam vets, Semper FI. My dad was a Korean war veteran who fought in the front lines he was in the army but told me the Marines were always the tough bunch, RIP Dad.:flag:

Eddieh
03-12-09, 09:15 PM
Well, when most kids were playing in sandboxes and with toys, i was out shooting rifles and hunting with my faimley. There was just somthing about shooting that amazed me more than anything. When i hit about 8 years old, i began to notice Marine posters, videos, and stickers everywhere. I thought to myself, that is what i want to do with my life, and the rest fell into place. I have worked ever since then to become the best recruit possable, and the time is neer for my ambitions and dreams to come true.

SGT7477
03-12-09, 09:47 PM
Sometimes dreams become true, Get Some.

Chali Jam
03-16-09, 03:28 PM
I became a Marine, because my ex-fiance(an E-5 at the time) said that I would never make through boot camp, and if I did and he ever saw me in the fleet, he would kill me. I became a Marine, and he never killed me. And now, I know how to fix helicopters and kill with my bare hands (defend myself ; ).

xero3g
03-18-09, 01:33 AM
Citizenship, college money, money in my pocket, pride, honor. I've always wanted to be a pilot. Of course the other branches have them too, but why be half-assed about it?

chris gervais
03-26-09, 10:11 AM
I am very sorry I did not mean to upset or seem like I was beeing disrespectfull.

usmcdvldg32
04-13-09, 02:25 PM
I call this the 2 second decision that stayed with me the rest of my life haha. I was 11 years old at the time and driving in the car with my dad and best friend when I decided (at that time) I wanted to go to the Naval Academy. Now one thing you have to understand, my parents were totally against me joining the military they saw me as being a politician or ambassador or something like that (well...I guess you could say im sorta following that lol Marines are kinda ambassadors but im pretty sure not what my parents wanted lol) but being that i was only 11 they wrote it off. 5 years later they were correct, i decided that i didnt really want to go to the Naval Academy because I wasn't working for it. didn't care about school or any of that. So I thought bout politics and all that stuff, thought thats what i wanted to do. this was 10th grade and every month the recruiters (cept Marines) would come to my high school. But this day the Marines were there and me still wanting (even tho i wouldn't admit it then) to join the military would go and talk to all the recruiters, well i went and talked to the Marines and this is the conversation its the only one i remember from high school.
USMC~"have you ever thought of becoming a Marine?" :evilgrin:
ME~"HE!! NO I COULDNT DO IT. I CAN'T EVEN DO ONE PUSHUP HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GET THROUGH BOOTCAMP???" :scared:
USMC~"Well the Marine Corps will help you with that"
End of conversation.
That was in 10th grade and I really didn't think i could do it, didn't even want to but it placed the seed inside my brain and i never really did get rid of it. so i graduated high school, went to my first yr at college in a community college and worked at a sailing center in MD during summer. Didn't really have a clue what i wanted to do with myself. i'd change my mind all the time but then i realized the ONLY thing that has been constant my whole life was my desire to join the military and so i looked into it. I grew up around the Navy so itd be sacriledge to even think about the Army and did NOT want to join the chair force ahem i meant the air force. So that left the Navy and the Marine Corps and idk the Marine Corps just seemed to fit, I loved everything about it and so I asked for more information and talked to my recruiter who I still speak to today and that was it for me. not so much for my parents it took until 2 days before I left for bootcamp for my parents to understand how long I've wanted to join the military. Yeah USMC only 6 months before i joined but military since i was 11. But now they couldn't be more proud of me. Now I'm in my first enlistment and i think i'll do 20. OOHRAH!!

"I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country”:iwo:

Ub3rmike
04-13-09, 09:50 PM
Read too many books by Machiavelli and Robert Heinlein. Father was a commissioned officer in the Taiwanese Navy and Marines. Had a clear cut path to some fairly prestigious institutions of academic learning, and ultimately chose to join the Marines out of some strange outlandish sense of civic virtue and duty. High school proved to be one of the least mentally taxing and most intellectually insulting manifestations of academia and I figured that that going to a university wasn't going to prove to be anymore of an engaging experience.

I was intent on pursuing Army ROTC (thank God for the Marine recruiter intervention there) and then later thought about Platoon Leaders Class or Officer Candidacy Course, but figured that I might as well get in hooking and jabbing while I still have my youth.

But all gallant idealism aside, I never truly realized why I joined the Marines until I became one. I could've served my country in any other branch, or even in any other government sponsored capacity. Rather, it was to learn to respect and assimilate into a warrior culture and tradition which has lasted 233 years, and in doing so, transcend personal weakness in order to realize the utmost in human potential.

TooTall8689
04-17-09, 08:18 AM
I actually had no clue what I really wanted to do coming out of Highschool. My best friend and I were cluest at best. So then just driving one day we had this moment and decided to go to a recruiter. The only thing either of us really knew of the military was his brother-in-law who was a Navy Corpsman. So we went natually...to the Air Force and my friend joined them. I decided to wait and talked to the Army second...who was ran by civilian recruiters...one being former NAVY!! not even have served in the Army,....WTF. Then I got somehow turned on to the idea of the Marines. A friend I had lost touch with in my younger years brother had been a Marine. And I remember my friend talking about how his brothers bootcamp experience at Parris Island had been. How tough it was...a challenge. So I joined the Marines in 2005 and scooted of to bootcamp and took on the biggest challenge of my life. Now im an active Corporal with two Iraq tours under my belt, coming up on the end of my 1st enlistment....and we will just have to see what the future holds.

--I was the first Marine in my family. I set the bar. Now im marring into a Marine family with a SSGT brother-in-law. I never had a brother. So it fits to have my first be a Marine like myself. Of course, he was my brother before our new relation anyway. Semper Fi

greenmarinepack
05-23-09, 06:35 PM
i wanted to be like my father,and my mom's uncle chet. uncle chet served in ww2 on guadalcanal,he was wounded but returned to action,he died of cancer while i was doing my sevice.my father served during korea, he passed away 2 years ago.

05-24-09, 10:30 AM
I was on schedule not to graduate high school and wasn't sure what I was going to do afterwards. The Marine Corps recruiter phoned me and pestered me a bit, so oneday I decided I'd at least go hear him out. He showed me a video of cool things Marines get to do, and then I asked him if I would get to do those things. He said, "We don't guarantee you anything, but we try to make it happen if your test score and abilities match." I didn't know squat about the Marine Corps, just that its bootcamp was the toughest by far, and so I figured that if I get to pick which team I'm on, then I'm going to choose the best. The challenge scared me but I could never walk away from it.

It's still the best decision I've ever made.

Lisa 23
05-25-09, 09:12 AM
I joined the Marine Corps because when I was a kid and I saw my older brother in his uniform when he came home from Boot Camp, I just knew then that I wanted to be a Marine just like him. He was my idol growing up as a kid and is still my idol today! My brother had 17 years in the Marines and is a retired GySgt and was a Drill Instructor.
Although my Marine Corps career was a short one....a year and a half.....I enjoyed every moment of it, including Boot Camp. Yes, Boot Camp for WM's is very hard also, but I'm the type of person who doesn't mind getting dirty and not afraid to break a nail or work up a good sweat!
I broke my ankle when I was at Camp Kinser in Okinawa and had some problems from it.
I have no regrets about joining the Marine Corps.......but my only regret is that I didn't get to experience 20 years of Marine Corps life, and hopefully being a Drill Instructor also, just like my brother was.
Come 1 June, my nephew will be leaving for Boot Camp and carry on the tradition of Marines in the family, just like his Aunt & Uncle.

OOHRAH & SEMPER FI!!! :usmc:

Fievel
06-10-09, 10:59 PM
I grew up in a military family. My great grandpa was Army in World War I (got hit by a train and died while on leave from what I hear), my grandpa was Army in World War II and Vietnam (I thought Korea, too, but I can't find anything on his DD214s that verifies that), one uncle was Army in Vietnam (still alive - very quiet), and another uncle was Marines in Vietnam (still alive - definitely anger management issues). Those are just the ones I know of. I knew I wanted to be a Marine since I saw Full Metal Jacket when I was about 5 (I think now days CPS would be on someone's ass in a heartbeat if they knew that had happened!).

When I was old enough to join, I went on delayed entry. I was young, cocky, told my friends I was joining to "go to war and kill someone" and that was that. I signed up for the 1800 field because I now wanted to drive a tank. I left for boot camp October 3, 2000, and now I can't imagine where I'd be without my beloved Marine Corps.

Didn't get my M1 Abrams like I had been hoping for, but I got an AAV. Kept me happy!

SSgt McCord
06-11-09, 07:53 AM
I was in the 6th Grade and had a family friend who joined the Marines and when he came home from bootcamp I was at the airport waiting to see him. He looked like a completly different person when he walked off that plane. I knew then that " I want to be a Marine".
In my senior year I was debating on going to college first and then the Marines or what. I went to college for two days and said, nope this is not for me.

I went to the Marine Recruiters office and he was interviewing someone. He said can I help you, I said yea "I want to be a Marine, how do I join?" He told me have a seat, and he will be with me in a few seconds. Two days later I was in the DEP, and 3 months later I was on a plane headed to MCRD SanDiego.

I got out in 2005 and tried college again, and did not like it. Went to work for the State Police and still dont like this job. Currently trying to get back in and WILL NOT LEAVE THIS TIME UNTIL THEY MAKE ME!!!!!!!!

MichelleJoyce
07-08-09, 12:03 AM
Currently trying to get back in and WILL NOT LEAVE THIS TIME UNTIL THEY MAKE ME!!!!!!!!

That seriously made my day haha!!!

It's so encouraging to hear stories like these that make me feel without a shadow of a doubt this is by far the best decision I could make for myself.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to post my story of why I joined. :)

boomer56328
07-08-09, 03:10 AM
Was tired of college, waking up early for classes, and having people tell me what to do.
I never claimed to be very smart!

Warbyrd13
07-13-09, 03:17 AM
I come from a small town and from Ohio and those people there beleived they were the center of the universe. Then I would have to remind them of reality and where they fit in the big picture. Sad thing is I had to remind them a couple other times after I was in the Marines. But that is a intersting story I might share later.

Any way I joined because I wanted to be challenged. I wanted to go over seas. I wanted to meet and new intersting people. I wanted to meet women that actualy came from a differant state if not country than me. And I got my wish. Only 2 people from my class actualy left to join the military.

I would say 10 out of the whole 45 people that graduated from my highschool actualy did anything with thier lives. And as far as I am concerned I am number 1 becuase I served this country as a Marine.

William Hardy
07-17-09, 07:44 AM
My story is simple. My Dad was in the Navy in WWII, and then in the Air Force until he retired. I lived mostly on AF bases, but also, as in Germany, in Army housing. I had been exposed to everything except the Corps. When I graduated I went to the MC recruiter and joined. No flag waiving, no stories about wanting to be the best, etc....Turned out to be a most excellent decision for the first hitch, but then I reenlisted...it took its toll on my marrage so I departed after 11 years to keep the family entact. The Corps was one of the best parts of my life.
Semper Fi

HST
07-20-09, 07:07 PM
I was young and stupid. I thought the pretty blue uniform with a sword would get me lots of great sex with beautiful women. I didn't get the pretty blue uniform. I got green jungles with a filthy flack jacket instad of the blues and a 28 pound radio with a whip antenna instead of the sword and I didn't get a lot of great sex with beautiful women, I did get F*cked a lot though.

Now I'm old and stupid but I'm still a United States Marine and proud of it!

NoCer0321
08-06-09, 09:40 AM
Like many of my generation I saw flashing videos of men fighting lava monsters and scaling mountain faces. Though I don’t think these are the reasons I joined the Marine Corps you can’t help but draw a little pride out of the fact that many do see these metaphors as literal dealings.

I joined the Corps from a family that had little military tradition. I was aware of one of my Grandfathers serving in the Army but nothing beyond that. No war torn hero to pass on his legacy to me or plant the seed of service excitement. I did however have one thing going for me in the way of motivation. Everyone in my hometown said I couldn’t make it as a Marine, let alone a specialized MOS like Reconnaissance. Living in rural Indiana allowed me the opportunity to face many challenges as a Hispanic child growing up.

I was on the swim team which was already a shocker to most of the individuals that thought I was “colored” (a term I heard uttered often). Though I never make Michael Phelleps medal run at the Olympics, I did however have a good time. By my junior year of high school, I had participated in enough things to really confuse myself as far as future plans went. I then saw one of the commercials I wrote of earlier. Everything became crystal clear, I’d be a Marine!

Well I went to school the next day shopping the idea of being a Marine to my friends. It was met with lets call it a some resistance. No one really saw me as the Marine type, though none could really define what type they were talking about when they stated this. My girlfriend at the time was all about me going, NOT. She was full of tears when I told her that I was going to go.

So I’ll try to make a long story short by saying that I joined the Marine Corps because of racial bigotry and to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that I was one of the “baddest mofos” my hometown had ever seen. I’d have to say with just a wee bit of guilty pleasure that is now how I’m viewed when I visit home fon leave. At least to those that have an inkling of understanding of what my MOS entails.

MontezumaCpl
08-25-09, 09:23 PM
My dad is a Korean War Doc and retired Navy Officer. I was around the military a lot, as my uncles all served and most retired from Army/Air Force, so it wasn't a difficult decision for me. So when I was a bored 19 year old, not liking college, I enlisted. Great experiences and great comraderie. I shudder to think what would have happened to my undisciplined, defiant and cocky-headed for trouble self if I had not joined. I finished college after I got out and went ahead and got 2 graduate degrees, this would not have been possible without the discipline the Corps instilled into my formerly defiant and non conformist persona. To this day, my greatest feeling of accomplishment and self-awareness was the day I graduated Marine Recruit Training!

Ooh-rah!

MusicMarine
09-30-09, 11:31 AM
I was in my second year of college at 18. College was great, grades were great, the girls were great...But I felt life wasn't moving fast enough. I wasn't getting big enough "high" on life. Let me tell you my time in the marines was the best "crack" i've had from 2000 - 2005 because life went into overdrive! Now i challenge myself everyday to be great.

Sempfer Fi. MALS -31 Avionics

Hope everything is good with all you Marines and you all are succeeding in life!

Semper Fi. RIP to my fallen brothers.

Seward
10-15-09, 07:19 PM
I came from a very small town in California called Hanford and it wasnt until my senior year in highschool that the Marine Corps interested me. I played football with my men, cruised around town looking for women every friday night, sat around bonfires and lived it up to the fullest and it got me thinking around the end of my senior year one night that i wanted to be someone who protects this. Not only did i want to defend my small town and all the fun i had in it, i wanted to be someone who protected this country and everything in it for im thankful for all its given me. I never wanted my small town to change, i wanted it to stay the way it is and I wanted to be the big bad sherriff that kept it in shape but instead i found myself thinking, hanfords not the only little small town around and theres probly kids like me who love there freedom and would die for those at home so I decided I wanted to protect everyone and give back to my country. I have a beautiful family, freinds, and Country and theres no greater feeling being a United States Marine defending all I have and all this country has. Semper Fi.;)

ojibway
10-17-09, 03:30 PM
I grew up in a small farming community in Illinois. My upbringing helped pave the way for the Marine Corps. I joined because of my church pastor. He was a Marine in Vietnam and he seemed like a stand up guy. The other reason was become a part of the best fighting force in the world. I was in from 87-91 and the United States Marine Corps was a definite highlight in my life thus far. I am proud to be one of the few and always will be. I also got my wish granted back in 91 during Desert Storm. As the saying goes, war is hell but combat is a m********cker. I attribute 3 reasons why I made it thru our 4 days of combat. The first is God, secondly the Corps, and my family. Marines never retreat we just fight from another direction.

echo3oscar1833
10-18-09, 11:25 PM
Well I joined the Corps, because I always admired my Dad and Uncle who are Marines. My Dad served 8 years in the Communications Electronics Field, and my Uncle was an 03 who served in Vietnam. I remember sitting around the table late at night with my Dad, and Uncle while they swapped Sea Stories. Even then when I was a young kid, sitting at the table. I always told myself that one day I would be a Marine. Well sure as hell, when I turned 18, on my 18 b-day at that I was at MEPS signing on the dotted line. I would never trade any of it. I am proud to be a Marine today, as I was the day I graduated Boot Camp. Plus now I can sit down at the table with my Dad, and Uncle, and swap some of my own Sea Stories. Semper Fi:beer:

kfisbusy
10-18-09, 11:54 PM
:beer:I joined the Marines because I felt that it was the only one out there. Both of my granddads & both uncles & my dad was A Marine. That is my mons brother & my dads brother. So when I truned 18 I went to join the Marines I forgot that they close on fed. holidays. So I went back home and went back 2 years later joined and spent 7 great years in the Crops, I should have never got out. Semper Fidelis SSGT. Francisco :iwo::flag:

firedog974
10-19-09, 12:05 PM
I joined the Army right out of high school and hated all 3 years of it. Right after Army boot camp, I was sent to Somolia during Operation Restore Hope. While I was there I ended up spending most...

samthomas
10-19-09, 01:40 PM

SGT7477
10-19-09, 07:55 PM
Simply put Marines Do It Best, Semper FI.:flag:

MontezumaCpl
10-19-09, 08:06 PM
Ooh-Rah SGT7477,

I've heard several accounts of prior service members who re-enlisted in the Marines with similar experiences. Outstanding! We are all glad those Marines backed you up as all Marines will do. Had a recruit who was prior navy, he was Platoon and Series Honorman during my boot camp. Outstanding recruit, he helped me a lot-- thanks L/Cpl Benentende.
And Thanks for telling us your story Sergeant, glad you took the plunge and became a Marine!

Ooh-rah and Semper Fi!

Rooger
10-19-09, 09:04 PM
Why i joined? I didn't join per se. I proved my worthiness. After H.S. there wasn't enough money for me to go to college. My Parents had car loans, a BIG home loan and 2 other kids in college so as my Dad explained.... It would be at least 3 years before we could afford college, plain and simple.

I worked pumping gas for about 6 months and started talking to recruiters, remember the Hostage situation was going on (Iranian)

I went to all the recruiters but the marine one and they ALL told me what i could get, ( Mos's etc.)

Finally I walked into a Marine recruiter's office and sat down (1st mistake) in front of a GySgt that looked as if he'd been in the Corps for a hundred years, no lie his face LOOKED like it was Leather! He said and I quote.... "GET THE HE** OUT OF MY CHAIR DIRTBAG! DID I TELL YOU THAT YOU COULD SIT DOWN? NOW ASK! ( I asked ) Then I asked him what the Marines could do for me (2nd mistake)

He THUNDERED... and again I quote..... "NOT A FREAKING THING WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR THE CORPS?"

I said to him ( after thinking about it for a good minute which SEEMED much longer with his laser eyes boring a hole in my head ) I had no Idea but I wanted to find out.

His eyes softened a bit and he said sit down dirtbag, and we'll see... we'll see.

He said 1st I have to show up every saturday morning at 0600 for a month and run PT with him, ( I had No idea at the time what he was talking about ) before he MIGHT repeat MIGHT let me join his Beloved Corps.

My Parents who had NO IDEA what was going on, were very surprised to say the least ( My dad was in the Navy in Korea as a AMM(AC) - Aviation Machinist's Mate Combat Aircrewmen assigned to the USS Midway) When I came home 1 saturday Morning with a Gunny in Dress Blues with ribbons and Badges (Alphas) to sign the paperwork. ( I really was the typical middle child of 6. My Dad afterword told me ALL the crazy things he'd seen Marines do!)

My only regret is that I was RIF'd in '89, Our group General fought and fought with HQUSMC for 2 years to get a waiver for me. But thats another story.....

A BIG Semper FI to Gunnery Sergeant Thompson for taking this dirtbag and screwing his head on straight! :flag:

Mac3043
10-19-09, 11:03 PM
Circa 1961: I met a man when I was 4 years old. My Mom was divorced and she was dating him. Nice guy, took my sister and I to the movies with them. My Mom married him. He became my "Dad". He was a hard worker and had served in the Marines. He had a picture of himself and his friends in uniform that was displayed proudly. A picture of 3 buddies and him. Everyone in the picture had been killed except for him. He served in Korea. He taught me of the pride and honor of the Marines. He raised my sister and I as his own children. When I graduated high school and was thinking about what I could do with my life I needed to look no further than my "Dad" SSGT Daniel H. Parrow. I knew I wanted to be just like "Dad". We (I speak of myself, my "Dad", and my brothers and sisters of Our Corps) have Honor, Disipline, and Integrity. "Dad" passed away in 1985 but his belief in our Corps and Country live in me. My "Dad" became more than my Dad, he became my Father, my Idol, and my Brother Marine. God Bless you Dad, Semper Fi Brother.

Marine1955
10-20-09, 11:17 PM
You want to know why I join the
Marine Corps
I joined to fight the Cong in Nam!!!!! My cousin was shot down in Nam and I wanted revenged from them azzholes.. so if you think thats wrong frack off!!! I wanted an Eye for an Eye you know what I mean!!! I loved my FAMILY AND STILL DO!! SO ALL YOU AZZHOLES WHO SAY WE ARE CRAZY FOR THAT..., BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER FRACK OFF!!!! family comes first. Semper Fi.

SgtHMH
10-21-09, 12:41 AM
I joined to be in the best and part of the best. I'm not just a Marine, I'm a Marine Sergeant. We all know what it takes and skill to be a Marine and to be a Marine NCO, this more than one could hope for. We all know it that have worn the ranks of our Corps. We take pride in our skills, MOS and the way we treat and look out for each other and our lower ranks. That is why I joined the Marines. We all feel the sameway.

Semper Fi

Danny C Smith
11-10-09, 07:14 PM
Well like the last post from the SGT.
I joined to be the best and part of the best.
But like most of my posts on this outstanding forum,
I have to ramble with a few under my belt lol.
When this Marine was 6 years of age my Parents
took me to the Dallas State Fair as it was called then.
the only and I mean only thing that really sticks in my brain housing group
is seeing the Marine Corps Silent Drill Team.
That was the beginning of the beginning.Fast forward.
At the age of 20, out of school, dead end jobs and bored out
of my noggin .
I met a young Man. Ssgt. Sloy.
Came home and announced that I was going to be a Marine.
Got the usual WTF! from MOM and other family members not to
mention friends.
I was told because of my size and weight that I would never
and couldn't make it.
I was a Black Belt of Shoto Kan by this time and I thought
how tough could it be? At that time Kara Te was still rough.
Well now lol.
I know you Marines and Docs know the rest of the story:evilgrin::usmc:

HARDLUCK88
02-19-10, 02:06 AM
I was young and stupid. I thought the pretty blue uniform with a sword would get me lots of great sex with beautiful women. I didn't get the pretty blue uniform. I got green jungles with a filthy flack jacket instad of the blues and a 28 pound radio with a whip antenna instead of the sword and I didn't get a lot of great sex with beautiful women, I did get F*cked a lot though.

Now I'm old and stupid but I'm still a United States Marine and proud of it!

amen!

HARDLUCK88
02-19-10, 02:16 AM
All:

IThunder is quite llikely a despicable poser. Disregard anything written or stated.

To begin with, you have an incomplete profile. Until you complete same, you will get no further response (nor should you) from anyone on this site, effective now. And, until you explain yourself, fully, to a moderator, expect to hear black helicopters coming to extract your butt from this site and be eliminated from cluttering up our area.

Unless and until I hear otherwise, I will be posting this response after every single thing you put here as a warning to other Marines, Marine friends, and poolees. Suggest you unfrack yourself ASAP.

Regarding THIS post, obviously, you haven't a clue what you are talking about. Sgt7477, steps are being taken to remedy the issue. See above for guidance.

v/r

i was looking at your signature, and i hope you understand what i mean when i say, your salad bowl is epic! i dont see many kosovo medals anymore

William Hardy
06-20-10, 08:19 AM
And 8 months later here I am, 4 weeks from now will be my 17th Birthday and I'll be taking the first step to the proudest thing I will ever do in life. I am not sure if I am allowed to post here, no I am not a Marine yet, and I know theres still a very long road ahead, but I don't know, this has just been my life, my dream, now that I can finally take the first step to accomplishing it, I guess I'm just a little excited and had to share my story.. If i was not supposed to post here just tell me, i won't make the mistake again, well thats my story in a nutshell, thanks for reading..:flag:

DON'T DO IT!!!! Go to college...get a degree....and become an officer. My biggest regret was turning down an offer to become an officer. Being a Gunnery Sergeant of Marines was great, but I should have taken the offer for a free education and a commission. One of my regrets. From your post, you sound as if you can go straight into college. Not everyone can cut it in college. If you can, do it and take the high road and become a leader of Marines.

Born2bUSMC
06-21-10, 07:30 AM
DON'T DO IT!!!! Go to college...get a degree....and become an officer. My biggest regret was turning down an offer to become an officer. Being a Gunnery Sergeant of Marines was great, but I should have taken the offer for a free education and a commission. One of my regrets. From your post, you sound as if you can go straight into college. Not everyone can cut it in college. If you can, do it and take the high road and become a leader of Marines.

Thanks alot, I have been through alot of arguing with me and my parents, even my dad who is a marine, who kept telling me to do college first but i always felt like they just wanted to buy time for me out of the military.. Its good to hear advice from a Marine who's not a family member or a recruiter lol thanks, I actually just got my acceptance letter so I'm officially going to college first..:yes:

noemi
10-23-10, 02:39 AM
hello 2 all of you...

Ray Merrell
02-22-11, 12:33 PM
I was 19 years old, working at the International Shoe Factory in Marshall, Missouri, Tuesday, November 17, 1942. I was paid by piece work, and we had work orders that told us what to make up. My work was on the first part of the shoe, getting the shoe last ready for the uppers. We had to do so many racks each day. We were making military shoes for the Army and Marines. One morning the supervisors were riding us to get more work done, so three of us walked out about 10 a.m. and went to Sedalia to join the Marines. We had decided we would rather wear the shoes than make them. There had been alot of publicity about the Marines on Guadalcanal that had influenced us to chose the Marines. Incidently, I was the only one to pass the physical.

Gung Ho,

Ray

William Hardy
02-22-11, 06:22 PM
I read your book and no telling how many post, but I don't recall that story before...it fills in a blank in the Ray Merrell story! It could be I just don't recall. I'll have to check the book to be sure. Take care.

Semper Fi

Bill H.

Ray Merrell
02-23-11, 05:25 AM
Don't miss the first paragraph.

Have a Happy Day!

Gung ho,

Ray :)

SadSack
02-25-11, 09:13 AM
Followed in my Fathers, and his brothers footsteps. That's about the gist of it. High School wasn't working out, and I was 17 going on 30, or so I thought at the time. Dropped out and was basically a pot smoking, lazy hoodlum. Legal trouble made enlisting seem better than reform school.

EGTSpec
02-25-11, 11:51 AM
Allways was a follower. Wanted to be a leader. Lacked the self confidence. Got it in the Corps, but as I've aged and mellowed, I've found I'm back to being a follower. But I'm damn good at it. Thanks to the Marines.

03Foxtrot
02-25-11, 07:19 PM
My Dad retired as a Sgt. Major USMC in January 1968 after 23 years in the Corps and I quit college and enlisted in March of '68. He did not expect or encourage or probably want me in the Marines,...

bilesga
03-02-11, 03:54 PM
Wow!! Seems we all have pretty simular stories on "why" we joined the Corps. Mine is little different from the one's I've read here. Quit High School, didn't have a clue on what to do, tired of being at home...da da da, so I first spoke to the Army, the Navy, then to the Corps, best decision of my life! Called home, told them I was joining the Marines, and got laughed at! You won't make it, they are too tough! Went into Boot Camp, got my GED, was a requirement at the time,then on through training and prooved them all wrong! The bad part was...I was the only recruit at graduation, that had no family in attendance! I said to hell with them and never looked back! The Marines became my new family! Semper Fi

thebladegirl
03-05-11, 12:09 AM
Circa 1961: I met a man when I was 4 years old. My Mom was divorced and she was dating him. Nice guy, took my sister and I to the movies with them. My Mom married him. He became my "Dad". He was a hard worker and had served in the Marines. He had a picture of himself and his friends in uniform that was displayed proudly. A picture of 3 buddies and him. Everyone in the picture had been killed except for him. He served in Korea. He taught me of the pride and honor of the Marines. He raised my sister and I as his own children. When I graduated high school and was thinking about what I could do with my life I needed to look no further than my "Dad" SSGT Daniel H. Parrow. I knew I wanted to be just like "Dad". We (I speak of myself, my "Dad", and my brothers and sisters of Our Corps) have Honor, Disipline, and Integrity. "Dad" passed away in 1985 but his belief in our Corps and Country live in me. My "Dad" became more than my Dad, he became my Father, my Idol, and my Brother Marine. God Bless you Dad, Semper Fi Brother.

This is so nice. I am sure your Dad must have been so proud of you. Sounds like he was a good father and raised you well. The world could use more fathers like that.

ABDULA
04-21-11, 02:34 PM
Yes you are right
good post

Cpl Heglar
04-27-11, 02:54 PM
When I was a youngin I had no mentor and basically was longing for a Grandfather figure so I hung out with a Marine Charles Bertram. Col. Bertram had a 1 acre garden when he was 86, Still to this day I try to have a 1 acre garden. Charles looked at me one day and strayed from his many stories in the military and stated he had been in WWI WWII and the Korean war. I said really. He said look at my eye. I looked and it did not move with the other it was glass. He stated when he and his driver was going back to the base in Korea a mortar hit a tree and shrapnel hit his driver killing him instantly hitting him in his forhead and peeling his skull back. He put his skull back on like a hat and moved his driver over and drove 1.5 miles to the hospital where he got umpteen hundred stitches and his new eye. I was so inspired by this old guy I joined right after high school.

Thinking of you Col. Bertram

Cpl. Kev

LuisMatos
05-11-11, 04:48 PM
I joined the Marines in 1989 because my cousin was a Marine and my boss at work was a Marine and I was sick and tired of them two telling me, " They are going to kick your butt and you wont make it " I took that to the heart started running and join the Marines a month later. It was true, they kicked my ass me coming out of NY but I did make it and Loved it. Got out in 1993 and to this day I regret that move. In boot-camp out instructors always said you going to see some action soon and you better get your arses in shape!! WE did in, we went to the Gulf War.

boby12
07-01-11, 04:13 AM
I like this forum ,because I learn some knowledge before I never know.
Professional plus 2010 (http://www.professionalplus2010.com)
Microsoft Outlook 2010 (http://www.professionalplus2010.com)

tmoquin
07-20-11, 01:25 PM
one half was john Waynes fault,,, The other half was my Azz Hole brother saying I couldn't make it. I guess that is 100%. "Cept for I loved my momma, apple pie, and my country. Thats the other half of the 100%.LONG LIVE THE MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS AND THANKS FOR YOUR SREVICE.

jannypan
07-26-11, 02:14 AM
Now in 1991 the ONLY reference that I ever had to Marine Corps Boot camp was Full Metal Jacket and Horror stories of those who have been through it....Plus our Marine Corps recruiters were great, their attitude was "Don't waste our time if your not serious" Best decision I ever made was going in the Marine Corps.....worst was getting out in '96.....Semper Fi!................By the way, My best friend got out of his enlistment to the Army and joined the Corps 6 months after I went to boot camp...He was impressed about something when we were hanging out after my graduation from Parris Island!Buy Tera Gold (http://www.myterastock.com/Tera.Gold)
Tera Power Leveling (http://www.teragoldbox.com/TeraGoldBox.powerleveling)
Tera Items (http://www.tera2buy.com/tera2buy.items)

blockhead5
10-07-11, 08:11 AM
My brother was in the Marines and I just thought if he could do it so could I. In my later years I've come to realize that maybe I just enlisted for myself if no other reason.

Range Coach
10-07-11, 10:37 AM
Christmas Day of 1984 was -20 degrees, 18" of snow on the ground, frozen water lines and over 100 head of cattle that needed water. I was tired of college, tired of farming, tired of being cold, and tired of carrying five gallon buckets of water to the water trough. I went to the recruiting station on January 8th and the only office that was open was the Marines. I told the recruiter that I wanted to go somewhere warm and, the day after my last day of college, I was shipped off to San Diego.

vets rep
10-07-11, 12:02 PM
I walked into the USMC Recruiting Office.

The first thing the Recruiter says to me is.

"Hello, welcome to the Marine Corps Recruiting Office...Before we begin, I want you to take a look over at that wall"

(He points to a USMC T-shirt that has been pinned to the wall)

On the t-shirt is a picture with a large open hand. And in the hand there were two large steel balls. Underneath the hand there was this written message. "It takes a pair of these to become a Marine"

Well After I looked at the picture the recruiter says to me. "Well, if you don't got a pair of those, you might as well leave this office and go to see the Army Recruiter across the hall."

Damn! There was no way I could leave that office, he got me. A few weeks later I was standing on the yellow foot prints.

True Story -- F-U if you don't believe me.

montana
10-07-11, 04:04 PM
didnt join...was drafted

Carpshooter
10-07-11, 04:10 PM
didnt join...was drafted

You were not alone , but after all these years , I got to admit that it was a good thing as it would set the way I lived , rather than be a career retired drunken womanless old doggy with no offsprings with my last name , who made alot of overseas tours to Germany ! :iwo:

AnthonyMurphy
02-18-12, 03:50 AM
Well different people different ideas. Someone asked me last few days ago why did you join marine when there is lot of different interesting career opportunity outside. I feel about my career prospects, and I feel yes there is lot of career opportunity outside but in my career i have a thrill, adventure, chill and status. And this is something different from the world. I always feel I made a correct decision to choose it.Get it more white kitchen cabinets (http://www.thertastore.com/White_Kitchen_Cabinets_s/2148.htm)

LCplQuiznos
02-23-12, 09:42 AM
Growing up I always idolized two people, Dr Martin Luther King Jr. and any Marine. I saw the commercials as a child and would always say to my sister "I'm gonna wear that one day it's so cool!" As I...

kabar1
02-23-12, 10:07 AM
i was raised Marine Corps my mama was a E-5 Woman Marine,my uncle was a E-4 on a gun crew during WW2,Tarawa,Tiapan,Guadelcanal.my old man was a Corpsman with Marine unit during Korea.hell my mama use to sing the Marine to me to get me to go to sleep.i spent 10yrs. with Uncle Sams Misguided Children. i was born a Marine i will die a Marine.SEMPER FI Due or Die

kaelobo
02-23-12, 07:18 PM
for me it was the only doorway where there was not a line down at the court house.

gethomas3
06-23-12, 01:45 PM
The uniform hooked me in, and the perceived challenge reeled me in.

0231AR
12-31-12, 10:31 AM
one day i woke up in Philadelphia at the age of 21 and realized i had nothing going for me. told my girlfriend at the time that i had to do something with myself and i was joining the military. went and talked to the Marine recruiter and pretty much recruited myself..lol. 2 months later went to bootcamp, 8 months later in Okinawa (Camp Courtney). best decision of my life, met some lifelong friends and my wife who i have two amazing children with!

I will always be thankful that i joined because my path as that 21yr old in Philly didnt look to good, but the Marine Corps changed everything for the better. Did 5 and got out but it seems like everyday im thinking about all of the family i left in and it makes me want to go back. everything is so different in the CIVDIV... have to censor everything, nobody is dependable, and everyone complains about things that while i was deployed would have seemed like a slice of heaven!

OORAH Marines, Nobody Better!

Torres910
05-31-13, 01:02 AM
A former marine was recently kidnapped in mexico please take your time and sign this petition so the government will do something about it.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/demand-release-former-marine-armando-torres/lcJbHhZ6

YoungTexas1996
06-21-15, 12:12 PM
I remember thanks to the inspiration of my best friend who's currently in the Army, I acquired the dream of joining the military. For most of my childhood, I juggled between Army with my friend or going a step higher and joining the Marines. Then, when my Junior year of high school ended, I decided on Marines. It was my 17th birthday that summer, on a Wednesday, and my dad and I agreed to go to the recruiting office the following Thursday or Friday. But, by complete chance, a Marine recruiter and the SNCOIC of the RS showed up at my door that day. And that's where it all began.

I came from a life of privilege. Grew up in a good family, living a care-free life all through my childhood. It made sense to want to serve. After 17 years of great childhood life, I wanted to give back. I had been served as a young boy, now I wanted *to* serve. That's about it.

Melvin Jeffries
06-21-15, 09:24 PM
I thought the Corps was the best place for training if I had to go to war I wanted the best training. As boot camp was winding down and they were testing us to see what MOS we were best suited for when I took a typing test they put me in an office and ended up as a chief legal clerk/court-reporter, you don't always get what you want but the Marine Corps always gets what they want. It was not a bad almost 5 years though, I had a good job and met a lot of different people from all over the world. In from August of 61 until May of 66.