PDA

View Full Version : This is tragic...fallout from the war

Chaz3
03-18-08, 11:21 AM
The attached e-mail was forwarded to me by a friend of mine. Sadly it's a Mother's plea for her son who is a chit load of trouble. His name is Kyle Carney that was subjected to 3 combat tours. I'm...

David Jameson
03-18-08, 01:01 PM
Its getting a little old.Starting to look like anyone with problems has ptsd.

Camper51
03-18-08, 03:31 PM
Chaz3, your profile says your occupation is sheriff.

What is your take on this?

Do you really want him free to be in YOUR neighborhood? I sure don't.

This young man may need help but he doesn't need to be free to terrorize the local police and populace like it says he did in your post. He has some major problems that need to be addressed and maybe the courts will get him the help he so desperately seems to need.

PTSD could be just a scapegoat so he doesn't have to take responsibility for his misdeeds. If he was diagnosed with "full blown ptsd" then why wasn't he getting treatment? (no mention of that in the post) It seems if he in fact had PTSD that he would be undergoing treatment and be on meds for it. I choose to be very very skeptical of this because there just isn't enough information here to make a judgement as to whether this man should be treated in any way other than the way he is being currently treated by the legal system...

crate78
03-19-08, 10:41 AM
I guess I could say I'm undecided. I have four brothers-in-law who saw combat in Korea. One was one of seven men out of an entire platoon who made it back off of Porkchop Hill, and he was shot all to h***. After recovering from his wounds, he went on to live a peaceful, productive civilian life. None of the four ever showed signs of PTSD. They came home from the war and went back to work as civilians.

My wife also had two older cousins who saw combat in WWII. One earned the Bronze Star as an Army 1st Lieutenant in Germany during action in the Black Forest. Both simply went back to normal, productive lives as civilians after the war.

On the other hand, a 15 year-old great niece of ours was raped by an illegal Mexican, who then disappeared back into the illegal Mexican community. (There is a packing plant nearby). Her older brother got drunk, "lost it" and went after anyone who looked Mexican. When the police got after him, he led the police on a classic 100 mph chase that ended when he wrecked his pickup. He wound up spending 90 days in the slammer. He's also never been in the military.

My gut feeling is that the term PTSD didn't become popular until the country became overrun with psychiatrists and psychologists trying to make a living. After WWII and Korea there were veterans who came home with altered personalities and were referred to as "shell-shocked". For the most part, however, they were harmless, and people simply tolerated any idiosyncracies they may have exhibited.

As I said, I'm undecided, but I suspect PTSD is blamed for a lot of rampages that would have occurred anyway. It would appear there is an unidentifiable fine line in there somewhere.

crate

KWB
12-08-10, 08:42 PM
I am the ex girlfriend. I have never responded to any of these sites but I think it is time to defend myself. Reading all these lies makes me sick to my stomach. First of all none of these sites...

Garyius
12-09-10, 08:20 AM
Me thinks the truth is somewhere in the middle between these two stories...which doesn't take away that fact that he did three tours.

Our older generations have made the these younger vets feel unwelcome at the traditional places to talk out war issues and drink--the legion and VFW halls.

I blame Bush and Obama even more. Billions for their Ivy League war contractor buddies, and crap for the vet programs. Hell, Bush denied a few hundred million to double the planned expansion of the vet mental health clinics, the same quarter he sent his daughter to Central America to purchase a family ranch the size of Rhode Island.

Chad Leddy
12-09-10, 01:13 PM
You've got to be kidding me. So many of us have PTSD, but we aren't running around shooting at people. Don't use PTSD as a scapegoat.

tdrt
12-09-10, 01:22 PM
Responding now to a 2-year old post.

Hmmmm....

Marine84
12-09-10, 03:49 PM
Responding now to a 2-year old post.

Hmmmm....

My thought exactly! Been 2 years and she's STILL holding on to this! WHEW!

Honey, you really need to let it go!

hbharrison
12-09-10, 04:39 PM
Troy, Kim if this is been two years ago I am going to be with you on this and as a retired LEO I am going to have to say it does not pass the smell test.

Sgt Leprechaun
12-11-10, 12:52 AM
There are issues here....big time.

As someone who has been diagnosed with PTSD I can say it's something I wouldn't wish on anyone.

That having been said....it's still about FREE WILL. Just because crap happens doesn't mean you blame it on PTSD. Hells bells.

I feel for the mom. I even, in some ways, feel for the guy.

But, dammit, you know right from wrong.

AAV Crewchief
12-11-10, 10:22 AM
You've got to be kidding me. So many of us have PTSD, but we aren't running around shooting at people. Don't use PTSD as a scapegoat.

I tend to agree. I have not slept through an entire night since I got back from my Iraq tour that included BIAP and "MORTARITAVILLE" BALAD in 2003-2004. Like the other guy said, "the truth lies somewhere in the middle". After I got back from Iraq and my wife asked for a divorce and the new contract was signed in the house we had built while I was gone, there were plenty of thoughts of doing stupid ****. I did not. It's OK to think about it, but carrying those actions out is the difference.