PDA

View Full Version : Extra Dogtags?

FeMzZ
03-17-08, 06:25 PM
Soem girl in my school has a brother in the Marines, a few days ago i saw the chain around her neck and asked who's dogtags they were and she said they belonged to her brother. I asked her where he was and i believe she said "somewhere in North Carolina". Now i havent been to boot yet and dont know any rules regarding dogtags and whatnot but how did she recieve a copy of his dogtags? I assumed that maybe he said he lost his or something but i always thought they would would give you 1 pair to avoid anyone stealing them and using them for no good. So do you actually recieve 2 pairs or did he pull something?

crazymjb
03-17-08, 06:37 PM
You can buy as many as you want. Most guys I have talked to had a few extra pairs made at the PX on the island after graduation.

I share your concers, as do many others, especially since they now have a SSN instead of a "service number" printed on them.

Mike

fade2black
03-17-08, 06:44 PM
I don't think they put SSN's on them anymore. I could be wrong, but I think I heard that somewhere recently. Too much ID theft going on.

BR34
03-17-08, 06:58 PM
Got my SSN on mine. ****, dogtags can be orderd online for like 2 dollars a set. It's not exactly a set a dress blues.

ZSKI
03-17-08, 07:03 PM
**** two dollars, admin has a machine to make them. I have one in every pair of boots on gear around my neck etc etc.

SGT7477
03-17-08, 07:32 PM
We were issued 2 sets and they did have the social security no. on them.

Marine84
03-17-08, 08:19 PM
Mine has SSN

bucksgted
03-17-08, 09:05 PM
Mine has SSN
Mine has 1597xxx. (x's cause I don't want any ID stolen. ROTFLMAO)

Brandon1
03-17-08, 09:34 PM
You could always use Life Lock!

bucksgted
03-17-08, 09:52 PM
You could always use Life Lock!
Brandon, I give up! What is Life Lock? Is it something like "lip lock"? :bunny:

crazymjb
03-17-08, 10:16 PM
It's identity theft insurance.

Mike

bucksgted
03-17-08, 10:28 PM
It's identity theft insurance.

Mike
You folks are being serious and helpful and I'm being a horses butt trying to be funny. Just like to throw out my "old serial number" just for the heck of it. Maybe I shouldn't, cause there are bunches of Marines in here that have lower serial numbers than me.:beer:

Sally
03-18-08, 06:45 AM
Yes dog tags still have SSN. What I don't get is those ones who give them away to their girlfriends. You can have as many as you want. There's the black ones too, they look pretty cool, you can have them for 5 bucks.

gnarkill04
03-18-08, 02:58 PM
I just ordered some online and they were 7$ a pair I think.

AndyBowman
03-18-08, 03:48 PM
Yeah you can buy them online for like 3 bucks or something because I bought a pair that has my name on them.

Camper51
03-18-08, 04:08 PM
You folks are being serious and helpful and I'm being a horses butt trying to be funny. Just like to throw out my "old serial number" just for the heck of it. Maybe I shouldn't, cause there are bunches of Marines in here that have lower serial numbers than me.:beer:

Well, I am certainly not one of those people, however I do have a serial number since I entered the Corps several years before they switched to SSN's. Mine is 2527xxx ( for you securty conscious people)...

whiskeytango7
03-18-08, 04:15 PM
Mine was 228xxxx

pnwhite
09-17-08, 09:30 PM
I hear you Whiskey - This is especially funny to me since I live in norther Indiana in "Da region". I flew into MCRD SD with a bunch of guys from Chicago, and when our DI used to say that to us, it was all I could do to keep from laughing out loud. And he knew we were from Da region too.

degenerate138
09-17-08, 10:39 PM
Got my SSN on mine. ****, dogtags can be orderd online for like 2 dollars a set. It's not exactly a set a dress blues.

Speaking of dress blues, I'm assuming you have to buy those. How much does a set of dress blues go for?

Mikewebe
09-17-08, 11:18 PM
The coat is about 300.00 and thats with the brass, the pants about 90.00. But I may be wrong and you can go to a site called the Marine Shop and price it out.

Achped
09-18-08, 12:33 AM
You could always use Life Lock!/

I guess you didn't notice the Sgt had pre-1959 chevrons...they didn't use SSNs back in the day.

BR34
09-18-08, 05:42 AM
Speaking of dress blues, I'm assuming you have to buy those. How much does a set of dress blues go for?

It's funny you ask that because just yesterday the last piece of my Dress Blue puzzle was shipped out from the online uniform store.

My coat was 152.
I bought some unused trousers from my Cpl for 10 bucks, had the blood stripe taken off, and had em tailored.
All buttons including the emblem for the cover for 34.00 bucks.
Cover was 50 bucks, assembled.
Belt and waist plate was around 23 dollars.
I ordered some ultra thin medals and ribbons and had em mounted for around 35 bucks. (this isn't necessary, it just looks better).

So adding that up I paid a little over 300 bucks for mine. With new trousers it probably would have been appx. 340.

sparkie
09-18-08, 07:01 AM
I've seen them made here at the swapmeet. They still do blood type and gas mask size?

pnwhite
09-18-08, 08:11 AM
Well nobody ever applauded me for asking stupid questions, but what is the blood stripe (is that the red bar down the outside of each leg?), and what are gas mask size? It's just that when you get a little older you aren't embarrassed quite as easily and I'll take the heat so that others who are afraid to ask can find out too.

BR34
09-18-08, 10:41 AM
Well nobody ever applauded me for asking stupid questions, but what is the blood stripe (is that the red bar down the outside of each leg?), and what are gas mask size? It's just that when you get a little older you aren't embarrassed quite as easily and I'll take the heat so that others who are afraid to ask can find out too.

Blood stripe is the red stripe running down the leg of NCOs/SNCOs/Officers.

Gas mask sizes are just the different sizes needed to fit Marines with larger/smaller heads/faces.

Semper Fi!

AL49BGN
09-18-08, 01:39 PM
FEMMZ,I am just a little confused.Your avatar says Marine and your profile has a Picture of you in your Blues and states that you are a E-1 and attended Parris Island, it even has your PLT # from Bootcamp.
But then here in your thread that you just posted you are asking about how many Dog Tags you get because some girl in your school has a pair and that you didn't know because you haven't been to Boot Camp yet.
So please enlighten me as how this can be so.Who are you?Are you a Marine from Staten Island or some High School wannabe.Are you really Pvt.Lafemina?

Hologram
09-18-08, 01:48 PM
FEMMZ,I am just a little confused.Your avatar says Marine and your profile has a Picture of you in your Blues and states that you are a E-1 and attended Parris Island, it even has your PLT # from Bootcamp.
But then here in your thread that you just posted you are asking about how many Dog Tags you get because some girl in your school has a pair and that you didn't know because you haven't been to Boot Camp yet.
So please enlighten me as how this can be so.Who are you?Are you a Marine from Staten Island or some High School wannabe.Are you really Pvt.Lafemina?The post was from some time in March SSgt. He's probably been there and done that. Someone just resurrected his thread for some reason.

degenerate138
09-18-08, 02:45 PM
Edit: Just saw the post above this.

AL49BGN
09-18-08, 02:50 PM
The post was from some time in March SSgt. He's probably been there and done that. Someone just resurrected his thread for some reason.
Thank you Poolee I now know that is what happened but it was to late to edit.I believed maybe the PVT's little brother or someone he knew was using his account.

SgtHMH
09-19-08, 01:23 AM
Dog Tags, you put one in one boot and one in the other boot. Also in the flight suit you put them in differant pockets. Also in your flight gear you put one. So if the Helicopter ever goes down they know. You can get as many Dog Tags as you need put them in your 782 gear, pack, boots, helmet and so on. They are to know who you are and your parts. That is why you put them in your boots.

Semper Fi