PDA

View Full Version : At 19, this Marine was willing to give his life

thedrifter
03-17-08, 06:27 AM
At 19, this Marine was willing to give his life
Monday, March 17, 2008
Huntsville Times

Life brings unexpected twists and turns in every teen's life, but it can seem infinite to those who have not dealt with hardships.

Last week, I was shocked to learn of the death of David Miles, a reservist with the U.S. Marines. He was on a bus that crashed March 9 on the Fort Rucker base, and he died the next day. The bus held 23 Marines reservists making their way back from a weekend of training. David was just 19.

I didn't know David personally, but he graduated from Bob Jones High School in 2006 with my sister, Jennifer. He was a member of JROTC at school. My dad is good friends with his father.

Although David ended up losing his life in a tragic accident, he was one of the thousands of young people who have signed up for the nation's military and the role of protecting our country. David stood out in the community as a role model. He was not only willing to give his life for his country, but he also blessed lives after his death by being an organ donor.

Our country has always had young people willing to do whatever it takes to protect America. In previous times, a draft forced many boys to fight in a war. Others enlisted on their own. Today, there is no draft, but young people still enter the ranks voluntarily simply because they love their country.

The bravery of those youths is something many admire. While physically they may still be in their teens, they are taking on the roles of an adult.

When one of them dies, whether in combat or in tragedy, we weep. David Miles was a honorable citizen, son, friend and devoted Marine. Rest in peace, David. You remain in our hearts.

Ellie