PDA

View Full Version : Marines Start Leaving Baghdad, Army Takes Over

thedrifter
04-19-03, 08:41 AM
Marines Start Leaving Baghdad, Army Takes Over
Sat April 19, 2003 08:44 AM ET

By Matthew Green

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. Marines who seized much of Baghdad earlier this month started pulling out of the Iraqi capital on Saturday, handing over control to U.S. Army units as the military's mission moves from combat to policing.

Two battalions -- roughly 1,600 Marines -- left Baghdad on Saturday to head south to an assembly area some 25-30 miles northeast of the town of Kerbala, Marine officers said.

Marines strapped their backpacks onto armored personnel carriers and began trundling out of the city. Two departing Marines sitting on top of one vehicle flashed victory V-signs at a Reuters television team as they passed.

"A couple of the units left today," said Major Dan Smith of the U.S. Marines' 1st Tank Battalion, adding that they would carry on with tasks similar to those they had begun in Baghdad.

"It's basically nation-building, providing security, making sure the water, electricity, sanitation and all that kind of thing is functioning," he told Reuters in eastern Baghdad.

"They're going to meet with the local leadership and begin to stand up local governments, or facilitate governments that may already be there."

The Marines' move is part of a plan to reorganize the overall pattern of U.S. forces in Iraq. Troops from the Army's 3rd Infantry Division will remain in Baghdad, while the 4th Infantry Division will cover the northern part of the country.

Baghdad is currently divided between Marines who control the capital east of the river Tigris, and Army units occupying the western half, but the handover will bring the city under the control of a single commander. Soldiers from the 3rd Infantry Division moved into areas east of the Tigris on Saturday.

VANGUARD STRIKE FORCE

Senior officers say there are about 15,000 U.S. Marines deployed in and around Baghdad.

The Marine Corps is a distinct organisation from the U.S. Army, designed primarily as a vanguard strike force. The much larger Army has more resources to deal with the reconstruction and policing role required in the capital, where many residents are deprived of electricity and live in fear of looters.

More Marine units are expected to head south on Sunday, with much of the Marine force likely to vacate the capital within the next few days, officers say.

Smith said the Marines would continue to hunt for members of Saddam Hussein's Baath party and Fedayeen militia, as well as "sensitive sites" -- facilities that may have been associated with the production of weapons of mass destruction.

Smith said the Marines were not planning to enter the holy cities of Kerbala and Najaf until around April 26 due to a major Shi'ite pilgrimage and will instead remain in "tactical assembly areas" outside the cities.

Marines expect up to 200,000 Shi'ite Muslims to converge in the area around the towns for the biggest pilgrimage of its kind in more than 20 years, clogging roads and city streets.

Sempers,

Roger

jhb3043
04-19-03, 12:06 PM
what is everyone's take on Iraq now? seems the Iraqis, who were cheering our presence in the country, now want us out of there ASAP. how quickly they forget what we just did for them a few days ago.

wrbones
04-19-03, 12:32 PM
The news media is overplaying a few incidents, in my opinion. At least the Iraqis have a chance to blow off some steam w/o gettin' killed, tortured, raped, or thrown inna dungeon.

If we get outta there too quick w/o making sure everything's sorted out, another version of Saddam will just take over as soon as we leave. However, the longer we stay, the more...perplexing...things might become.

Barrio_rat
04-19-03, 12:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone esle had noticed a unique aspect to this mission in Iraq. So far, it seems to me, that the leadership and planners of this mission actually are using each branch of service in a capacity that is applicable to them. In the past it seems that someone would try to have the Army do things that the Marines train for and then assign the Marines to tasks that the Army trains for - a waste of resources. In this campaign it just seems to me that they are all doing (for the most part) what they train for. I wonder if this has more to do with the size of force used or if it's a change in the way our military leadership is thinking....

lurchenstein
04-19-03, 01:21 PM
Smith said the Marines were not planning to enter the holy cities of Kerbala and Najaf until around April 26 due to a major Shi'ite pilgrimage and will instead remain in "tactical assembly areas" outside the cities.

I wonder what lurks in the middle of a Shi'ite pilgrimage to these holy cities. Iraq is not completely secured and Terror doesn't necessarily observe holidays. I hope Terror doesn't emerge from the masses, but won't be surprised if it does.:bandit:

USMC0311
04-19-03, 02:02 PM
bout time the Marines got sum "liberty" smoke'em when ya get'em;)

USMC0311
04-19-03, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Barrio_rat
I was wondering if anyone esle had noticed a unique aspect to this mission in Iraq. So far, it seems to me, that the leadership and planners of this mission actually are using each branch of service in a capacity that is applicable to them. In the past it seems that someone would try to have the Army do things that the Marines train for and then assign the Marines to tasks that the Army trains for - a waste of resources. In this campaign it just seems to me that they are all doing (for the most part) what they train for. I wonder if this has more to do with the size of force used or if it's a change in the way our military leadership is thinking....

You be a Trained Observer Marine.. :D
I'm Proud of Our Marines Too Bro;)

greybeard
04-19-03, 03:48 PM
Mariness do not lend themselves to 'peacekeeping roles very well. Not really part of their misssion role. As was stated elsewhere.
Marines should be fighting or on liberty.

jhb3043
04-21-03, 01:08 PM
dont Marines that are with the MEUs or Infantry/Combat arms train to do peacekeeping & humanitarian work?

jhb3043
04-21-03, 01:23 PM
anyone out there know how i can add my rank to my name when i post messages? i missed that part when i was creating my profile....:o(

jhb3043
04-21-03, 03:30 PM
If we get outta there too quick w/o making sure everything's sorted out, another version of Saddam will just take over as soon as we leave. However, the longer we stay, the more...perplexing...things might become.

well from what they're reporting in the news, certain towns & cities that we(the US military) recetnly liberated want us out of the country ASAP. in my opinion, if we stay but most of the Iraqis want us out, then theres gonna be possible terrorist attacks on our forces & i wouldn't want that to happen. if these people cant see that we did them a huge favor by ousting Saddam for them then we should leave & let them get their fresh water & electricity going. they're a bunch of backstabbing folks there in arab land.

virwar
04-21-03, 06:49 PM
Same thing happened in Kuwait 12 years ago remember? One day they were thanking us profusely, the next they were showing us the digit. I hate all of those muthrfvkrs. Oh yeah, and remember what happened after the Marines left The Mog? Semper Fi Dave

sharon martino
04-21-03, 10:32 PM
Marines are trained to kill ..They shouldn't be an occupying force ..I always thought the Marines would go in wreck the place and leave hand it over to the Army ha ha !!! My husband will get bored ..I am so proud of our Marines they have shown the world Don't mess with the Best
Did anyone notice that the Marines never get half the credit for what they do . One day I was complaining about it to my husband's buddy who is a Vietnam Vet and he said Honey Marines are not politicaly correct they cant tell the world what we do ..After watching the U.S Marines take down that statue of Saddam it made all the worrying and waiting worth every bit of it.Not to mention when they raised the colors in Iraq for the first time.I am so proud to be a Marine wife.Wouldn't change it for the world .The P.O.W's are home now thanks to the United states Marine Corps ...God Bless You all...Semper Fi Leathernecks

Armory
04-22-03, 11:33 AM
Roger that rat. I thought the war plan was very well thought out. From how they used the 15th MEU to capture the port town on day 1 to the probes into Baghdad. Anyone notice how deep the Army penatrated on their probe into baghdad? Seemed odd at the time. But in hind sight they knew Saddam was hiding out in the al-Mansour district.

We got the tougher assignment having to fight through all thoose towns on the way up and still beat the Army into the heart of Baghdad.

Anyone else see the comparisons with this war and the Battle for Mexico City?

Army lays out battle plan to have Marines cross river to pinch capitol with their forces.

Marines fight battle after battle through river valley including the fabeled battle of chapultipec.

Army hauls ass through desert but takes a day off to rest up from long march.

Army enters city to find Marines already own the place.

I'm damn proud of our boys.

wrbones
04-22-03, 12:13 PM
I'd forgotten about that, Armory. Spooky ain't it. Wasn't Black Jack Pershing in that bunch that went into Mexico? The Marines were about screwed from day one on that march.

Barrio_rat
04-22-03, 12:35 PM
http://www.lnstar.com/mall/texasinfo/mexicow.htm (http://)

Contreras, Churubusco, and Chapultepec

During June and July, Santa Anna frantically prepared to defend Mexico City. On August 7, Scott began his advance from Puebla, following a route over lava beds and rough land to the south of Lake Chalco that Santa Anna had left relatively unprotected. The first heavy fighting occurred on August 19-20 at Contreras, outside Mexico City, where Mexican losses were estimated at 700 and American casualties at 60. Santa Anna fell back about 8 km (5 mi) to Churubusco, where he took up a defensive position in a fortified convent. Advancing under extremely heavy fire on August 20, Scott's men finally forced the convent's surrender, although Santa Anna and much of his command escaped. Mexican losses were estimated at more than 4,000 killed and wounded and more than 2,500 prisoners; by contrast, American losses were slightly more than 1,000.

Scott might have moved promptly into the capital. Instead he granted (August 24) the armistice of Tacubaya to permit the negotiation of a peace treaty. Santa Anna used the time to muster his forces and prepare a final defense of the city. Fighting was renewed on September 7-8 at Molino del Rey, where the Americans forced the Mexican position but lost nearly 800 soldiers. The Mexican losses totaled about 2,700. The final battle for Mexico City took place at the fortified hill of Chapultepec. American artillery bombardment on September 12 was followed the next day by an infantry assault. The citadel was heroically defended by cadets from the Mexican Military College, but they were forced to surrender before noon. American troops entered Mexico City that afternoon, and shortly after midnight Santa Anna evacuated his troops.

The war was over. In just over five months, Winfield Scott had done what many had considered impossible. The duke of Wellington wrote, "His campaign was unsurpassed in military annals." On September 16, Santa Anna resigned the Mexican presidency. Forced to resign his command also (October 7), he fled the country. The new acting president, Pedro Maria Anaya, began negotiations with the American peace commissioner Nicholas Trist (1800-74) in November. Trist had just been recalled to Washington, but he decided to negotiate without credentials.

wrbones
04-22-03, 12:51 PM
I was thinkin' of some of the boots in the grunts. One of the arty guys wasn't it? Some guy named Lee? I can't really remember.There were some boots in that bunch who were later generals during the civil war. Pershing didn't come along til quite a bit later. My bust.

Sorry. It's been a year or more since I read up on that little to-do.

Makes ya wonder who'll be the generals comin' outta the Gulf War in a few years.

Armory
04-22-03, 01:01 PM
General Mad Dog and Mojo. :yes:

jhb3043
04-22-03, 01:49 PM
Same thing happened in Kuwait 12 years ago remember? One day they were thanking us profusely, the next they were showing us the digit. I hate all of those muthrfvkrs. Oh yeah, and remember what happened after the Marines left The Mog? Semper Fi Dave

virwar, i didnt know the Kuwaitis did the same thing...i guess thats typical of Arabs...god why they gotta be backstabbers?? the Kuwaitis especially! that sh*t really ****ed me off back in october/november when that one Marine got killed while his unit was training off Kuwait by those wanna be terrorists! especially because that Marine has a twin brother in the Corps as well...i'm a twin & both of us did our time in the Corps so my condolences go out to them. if i was the surviving brother, i would've wanted to go to Iraq when the shooting started to get some payback!!!