PDA

View Full Version : Goin to the rifle range tommorow.

Smitty Puffs
03-14-08, 08:58 PM
Well I finally get to get my hands on some real hardware tommorow. Ive been through an izmat simulator before and know how to basically operate an M16A2 and M4 but ive never shot a live one, which im sure is a little bit different. Any basic tips to shooting one? Im sure they'll go over everything I need to know but having a leg up on the competition never hurt anyone.

Big Jim
03-14-08, 09:08 PM
Well I finally get to get my hands on some real hardware tommorow. Ive been through an izmat simulator before and know how to basically operate an M16A2 and M4 but ive never shot a live one, which im sure is a little bit different. Any basic tips to shooting one? Im sure they'll go over everything I need to know but having a leg up on the competition never hurt anyone.

B-breath normally and take a few deep breaths.

R-relax, just calm down and concentrate on what you're doing.

A-aim carefully, sight alignment, sight picture.

S-stop breathing, take a deep breath, let part of it out and hold it.

S-squeeze the trigger slow and steady to the rear, the shot should be a surprise.

Every Marine learns this acronym and actually employs it! Let's see how you do!

Smitty Puffs
03-14-08, 09:22 PM
Thats exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.

Thank you, sir.

Big Jim
03-14-08, 09:29 PM
Thats exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.

Thank you, sir.

No problem...the art of marksmanship has definitely been perfected by the Marine Corps! I've known some snipers who are so in-sync with their bodies, they time their trigger pulls and shots in between their own heart beats. Now THAT'S precision...

yellowwing
03-14-08, 09:52 PM
Safety Briefing, pay attention!

BR34
03-14-08, 09:52 PM
Sight picture, trigger control.

You'll never forget those 4 words after going through bootcamp.

Whenever I go to the range I just let loose on my last mag. Get kinda Rambo, even though I'm shooting a semi-auto AR.

Smitty Puffs
03-15-08, 12:44 PM
just got back. Shot an entire m16a2 magazine dead center into the target sheet. Didnt hit outside the orange once. Then we got to shoot a .45 Sig. Didnt miss once with that bad larry either. Today was a close second to losing my virginity for greatest moments of all time.

I ****ing love guns.

Big Jim
03-15-08, 03:10 PM
just got back. Shot an entire m16a2 magazine dead center into the target sheet. Didnt hit outside the orange once. Then we got to shoot a .45 Sig. Didnt miss once with that bad larry either. Today was a close second to losing my virginity for greatest moments of all time.

I ****ing love guns.

Yeah, the love affair only gets stronger, my boy...once you get active duty, you get to practice a whole week and qualify once a year, maybe even with a Baretta M9 9mm pistol, too! So, if you ever get your hands on one of them, practice that too. Just get really good with that M16A2 and you won't have one problem in bootcamp with anything. Just be sure and follow your PMI's instructions!

SGT7477
03-15-08, 05:02 PM
B-breath normally and take a few deep breaths.

R-relax, just calm down and concentrate on what you're doing.

A-aim carefully, sight alignment, sight picture.

S-stop breathing, take a deep breath, let part of it out and hold it.

S-squeeze the trigger slow and steady to the rear, the shot should be a surprise.

Every Marine learns this acronym and actually employs it! Let's see how you do!
We used a quarter in boot camp to practice trigger squeeze only on the dry fire for snapping in.:flag:

Whitey
03-15-08, 11:18 PM
high pocket of shoulder, reach out grab air, firm pistol grip, high cheek stock weld, sight alignment, sight picture, breathing control, squeeze trigger, follow through and most importantly RELAX......this is for the prone. dont worry about looking at the target, let it be a blur

DangerMMA
03-15-08, 11:27 PM
Just wondering. How much of a difference, sight wise is a M16A2 compared to an AR15?

Big Jim
03-15-08, 11:32 PM
We used a quarter in boot camp to practice trigger squeeze only on the dry fire for snapping in.:flag:

I heard about that quarter trick, but my range OIC, CWO-4 Jillisky, said that didn't work too well with the M16A2...never tried it with that weapon. But after over 2 years of being a PMI at Camp Johnson rifle range I learned a trick or two! Enough to get (8) ammo crates worth of bars and chevrons..and even (3) Colonel's eagles and (2) BGen.'s stars!! That's the tradition if you qualify expert...you give one of your rank insignias to your PMI. The PMI sticks it on his ammo crate, which is his 'stool' he carries with him when he's coaching. Remember...?

Big Jim
03-15-08, 11:33 PM
Just wondering. How much of a difference, sight wise is a M16A2 compared to an AR15?

No, difference really...is it a match-grade weapon? Other than there might be a difference of no elevation knob on the sights, depending on what year the model is.

SGT7477
03-16-08, 08:44 AM
I heard about that quarter trick, but my range OIC, CWO-4 Jillisky, said that didn't work too well with the M16A2...never tried it with that weapon. But after over 2 years of being a PMI at Camp Johnson rifle range I learned a trick or two! Enough to get (8) ammo crates worth of bars and chevrons..and even (3) Colonel's eagles and (2) BGen.'s stars!! That's the tradition if you qualify expert...you give one of your rank insignias to your PMI. The PMI sticks it on his ammo crate, which is his 'stool' he carries with him when he's coaching. Remember...?
We didn't have that tradition when I qualified expert,lol.:flag:

FeMzZ
03-16-08, 12:56 PM
how did you get to use the m16A2 at a range? Was it for Marine Corps training or just some rifle range by where you live?

Smitty Puffs
03-17-08, 03:57 PM
i went to this place:

www.gunsnh.com (http://www.gunsnh.com)

you can shoot a m60 for $75 + ammo.

I was drooling over the Remington 700 the entire time i was in there.

JSam
03-17-08, 04:02 PM
oooh, R700? *Drools*
That's a beauty right there.