PDA

View Full Version : Rescued from doubt, placed with love

thedrifter
03-14-08, 01:43 PM
Rescued from doubt, placed with love

By Cpl. Aaron Rooks, 2nd Marine Logistics Group

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (March 14, 2008) -- Most people have positive intentions when they are forced to leave their pets at the local pound. Whether they are doing it because of a new baby coming into the family, a cycle of deployments or high medical bills, the majority are under the impression that their pet will be claimed and introduced to a new loving home. But that rarely happens.

What they often don’t realize is that on average, their beloved pet will have roughly a week to a month to live. Once their kill day arrives, the animals will be hoarded into a small room that will fill up with carbon monoxide, slowly killing all that occupy it.

Lexi, a purebred rottweiler, was set for this dim fate. Fortunately for her, she was saved on her kill day by Gunnery Sgt. Annie E. Scott and the North Carolina Rottweiler Rescue.

According to Danielle Canavan, a key-volunteer with the rescue, the NCRR is a non-profit organization built entirely of volunteers that have rescued rottweilers, among other dogs, since 1988. Through the hard work of volunteers like Scott, many homeless and abused dogs have been taken from pounds and placed in loving homes.

“The volunteer foster parents have an important role,” Canavan said. “The public doesn’t realize how many dogs are out there that need homes. There are other breeds, not just (rottweilers) that are put to sleep. Without (the volunteers), theses dogs would have no hope.”

Scott, the staff secretary of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, joined the rescue shortly after arriving at 2nd MLG in May 2007. After reviewing the organization’s web page and conducting some research, she determined that she wanted to help, despite the dog’s negative reputation as a bully breed. Subsequently, she met Lexi.

“I got her in May of last year,” Scott said, remembering when she took Lexi home for the first time. “I’ve never had any problems with her. She has shown no aggression towards me or any of the children I’ve brought near her. I’ve simply loved every minute of it.”

According to Canavan, a serious factor that comes into play is the dog’s reputation as a bully breed. The dog’s behavior often exhibits past training, or lack thereof. The actions of the dog can be either dangerous or benign, all depending on past socializing experience.

“Everyone who is going to open their home to a (rottweiler) should read literature on the breed because they are a different type of dog,” Canavan explained. “They are a working class dog. They need to feel important; they need forms of energy release and proper training so that they are obedient.”

Canavan, who has participated in the organization for more than a year, has opened her home to several dogs. One of her biggest accomplishments was convincing her husband, Rick Canavan, to bring a rottweiler into their home with two young children, a thought that would scare the common American.

“I took it upon myself to do the research on the animal by looking on the internet and reading various books to learn what their disposition was and how they are with kids to eliminate any stereotypes that I had,” said Rick, now proud owner of a rottweiler named Abby. “I’m extremely satisfied with my decision, Abby is a great dog.”

Through his time with Abby, Rick has come to agree with the rescue on the idea that with the proper training and socialization, the rottweiler can become one of the best family dogs one can find.

“I’ve come to the conclusion that your dog will be whatever you put into them,” Rick said.

Scott now prepares to deploy overseas soon, nearly one year after bringing Lexi into her home. As the final months unravel, Scott continues to do her best to find a permanent home for her dog, and even if she is unsuccessful, the rescue will do their part.

“Annie has been a tremendous help by fostering Lexi and providing a stable home environment for her to thrive in and become more easily (adapted) to a family,” said Elaine Rothbauer, the NCRR president and foster manager. “The (rescue) could not exist without valuable volunteers such as Annie Scott. Her dedication to her country and to an animal welfare organization like ours is (inspiring).”

Rothbauer said that the rescue supports Scott 100 percent and further explained that the organization will be here for her while she is gone and will ensure that Lexi is placed in a loving foster home, if she is not permanently adopted prior to Scott’s deployment.

Ellie