PDA

View Full Version : Army Horses

SlingerDun
03-14-08, 01:29 PM
I pulled this post from a horse owners bulletin and couldn't believe what i was reading...
Hey I’m joining the army and I just wanted some input from other people who are in the army and have horses. Like what the stables on some bases are like. Is it cheaper to keep your horse on base or off. And anything elseWow! The Army couldn't get rid of their surplus horses fast enough when trucks and tracked vehicles came about and mechanics replaced farriers. I know Ft. Meyer has a mounted color guard and funeral detail for Arlington and the Marine Corps has a 3 or 4 horse Palomino color guard and Pendleton has or had a dude string run by Marines fapped out on special services duty. But can an active armed forces employee, an E-1 no less keep their own horse on base anywhere in this country???

--->Dave

FistFu68
03-14-08, 01:34 PM
:evilgrin: A'LOT OF THE U.S.ARMY ACTIVE DUTY BASES HAVE STABLES ON THEM,MOSTLY FOR THE DEPENDENT'S;NOMINAL FEE FOR ROOM@BOARD.:evilgrin:

DWG
03-14-08, 01:35 PM
Is the "nominal fee" for the horses or the dependents?:nerd:

FistFu68
03-14-08, 01:42 PM
:evilgrin: (LOL)HELL I THINK YOU GET A DISCOUNT IF YOU MUCK YOU'RE HORSES STALL:evilgrin:

DWG
03-14-08, 01:46 PM
(LOL)HELL I THINK YOU GET A DISCOUNT IF YOU MUCK YOU'RE HORSES STALL

If you do WHAT to a tall horse?:scared: :sick:

FistFu68
03-14-08, 01:49 PM
:) GET A WISE ARSE LT.TOO STUMP BREAK HER FOR 'YA(LMFAO):sick:

SlingerDun
03-14-08, 01:54 PM
Sounds like a logistical quagmire when you have to pack your trash and move out. Boxed hay lunches for horses on MAC flights in the cargo deck and when you arrive at your new duty station the stables are full or non-existent. Equine special services canked due to budget cuts, didn't you get the memo?:scared:

--->Dave

DWG
03-14-08, 01:57 PM
Maybe taking their horse with them is in lieu of a signing bonus!:confused:

And Fist, I still wouldn't to that to a horse atall!:scared:

Merc6432
03-14-08, 03:19 PM
Heck, at the rate gas prices are jumping, I think they are going to have to expand their stalls for the flood of horse riders coming thru the gates. I just want to know where I am supposed to put the DoD sticker?:D

Camper51
03-14-08, 03:36 PM
Heck, at the rate gas prices are jumping, I think they are going to have to expand their stalls for the flood of horse riders coming thru the gates. I just want to know where I am supposed to put the DoD sticker?:D

Left front hoof, silly boy...

ggyoung
03-14-08, 04:10 PM
While at MB Hawthorn Nev. there were a lot of horse people there. The stables were in town and you had to pay a monthly fee to stable them. At Pendleton they had a lot of horses there but I believe that they were base property. I know that the horses the Marines get now come from the Nev. State Prisons wild mustang program. Utah Corrections has started its Wild Mustang program. So far they have about 500 horses and will soon be selling them.

Artemis
03-14-08, 04:37 PM
Hey we always need glue to.

DWG
03-14-08, 04:41 PM
Hey we always need glue to.

INCOMING!:scared:

FistFu68
03-14-08, 05:18 PM
:evilgrin: WELL YOU KNOW THEM GENERALS DAUGHTERS LIKE RIDING SOMETHING ELSE BESIDE THE COTTON PONY ONCE A MONTH;) :banana:

SlingerDun
03-15-08, 06:32 PM
Another posting from a young military gal, probably Navy: livid at having to relocate herself and horse 2k miles from Whidbey Island only to find the boarding conditions appalling at the new facilities, wherever. She actually had to step down into and duck to proceed through one of the hatches, fencing in need of repair, bad hay and no covered arena for to ride Nutmeg!!!:scared:

jrhd97
03-15-08, 09:52 PM
Camp Lejeune had, or has, stables to keep them at. When delivering around Norfolk, or Portsmouth ( can't remember wich one) I drive by the stables on the Air Force base.
It's easier to leave them home.