PDA

View Full Version : Motor T looked down upon?

DangerMMA
03-14-08, 10:48 AM
I have been told by several different people that Motor T is looked down upon by fellow Marines and it is also very difficult to get promoted in it. Is this true?

Currently I went reserves with the MOS3531 (Mobile Vehicle Operator) and hope to get into PLC as soon as I come back from my MOS training, in late January...I have also been told that I am "out of my mind" for going 3531 since Motor T is considered pretty dangerous???

Sorry if these questions are common sense but I just want to hear what you Marines have to say....

Dave

Phantom Blooper
03-14-08, 11:19 AM
PM SSGT Nelson he was MT.:evilgrin:

SlingerDun
03-14-08, 12:22 PM
young infantry are envious of them who ride wheels or hooves from way back

thewookie
03-14-08, 01:37 PM
I was originally a 3531 and the only reason why that MOS might be looked down upon is because every Marine and their brother has a Hummer license. And it might be different now, but if you're assigned to a grunt battalion you only have hummers, we didn't have any deuce in a half's or any 5 tons with 1/3 when I was there. We had some nice a suped up 151's but hummer's was basically it. Other units, and other MOS' within the 3500 field get to play with more stuff, from the mechs working at higher echelons to the drivers who get to drive the big fun stuff for a living.

And if you are talking to grunt, well, they by nature look down on most MOS' other then 03, get used to it.

As far as dangerous goes, I guess it's up there with many other MOS'. You are a big, usually slow moving target, think about it.

Phantom Blooper
03-14-08, 03:10 PM
And if you are talking to grunt, well, they by nature look down on most MOS' other then 03, get used to it.

Grunts rather ride than hump....it gets ya to the objective faster.

But from what I hear and read MT is pretty dangerous as far as the new war goes with IED's and roadside bombs.

SSGT Nelson and Sgt Wookie can probally tell you the saying of MT,"We may not be the pride,but without us the pride won't ride!"

The Marine Corps needs ALL MOS's to be an integral working wheel and yes the grunts are supported by ALL but it takes ALL to keep the wheels greased and moving forward.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
03-14-08, 03:16 PM
I have been told by several different people that Motor T is looked down upon by fellow Marines and it is also very difficult to get promoted in it. Is this true?

Currently I went reserves with the MOS3531 (Mobile Vehicle Operator) and hope to get into PLC as soon as I come back from my MOS training, in late January...I have also been told that I am "out of my mind" for going 3531 since Motor T is considered pretty dangerous???

Sorry if these questions are common sense but I just want to hear what you Marines have to say....

Dave
I was in artillery and we worked well together you just need everybody to make that elite force to work .:flag:

Whigwam
03-14-08, 04:03 PM
I have requested to be in the motor T as well. it dosent matter whats considered looked down upon if you do it with pride and "keep your honor clean." we will be Marines and we'll be proud of it. keep your chin up and eyes on the road. if in doubt, DO IT ANYWAY.lol.

Finger
03-14-08, 04:23 PM
I remember the Motor T guys had a saying; We might not be the pride, but without us the pride don't ride. ;)

S/F
Finger

:flag:

ZSKI
03-14-08, 05:17 PM
Well we looked down on them in FT Lenardwood becaue those bastard had like 15 njp's a liberty weekend and like 4 in the week. They where drunk **** bads who can't handle there liquor,

Marine84
03-14-08, 05:32 PM
Hell NO MT ain't looked down on - every now and then a driver will slide over and let you drive.

Either that or ride off the side of the road through the orange groves so you can hang off the side in the back of a 5 ton and pick oranges going down the road :)

ggyoung
03-14-08, 05:40 PM
Vietnam======that LZ Ross to LZ Baldy run by MT was one bad a$$ run. Like when they were hauling arty ammo. Not too much of a truck was left.

DevilDogHEMech
03-14-08, 06:12 PM
Most Marines (especially grunts) look down on anybody that doesn't share their MOS. Don't worry about what other people think, pick an MOS that you think you will be good at and maybe enjoy doing. It is a little dangerous now with IED's, but passengers in the back and the gunner up in the turret aren't any safer than the driver. And I don't know who told you that Motor T promotes slowly, but they definitely don't. Promotions through LCpl are the same regardless of MOS, and the scores for both 3531's (MT drivers) and 3521's (MT mechanics) are far lower than average to pick up Cpl and Sgt. Not sure about SNCO ranks. They also have pretty high re-enlistment bonuses right now, indicating that we don't have as many as we need. Go for it

DangerMMA
03-14-08, 07:25 PM
Most Marines (especially grunts) look down on anybody that doesn't share their MOS. Don't worry about what other people think, pick an MOS that you think you will be good at and maybe enjoy doing. It is a little dangerous now with IED's, but passengers in the back and the gunner up in the turret aren't any safer than the driver. And I don't know who told you that Motor T promotes slowly, but they definitely don't. Promotions through LCpl are the same regardless of MOS, and the scores for both 3531's (MT drivers) and 3521's (MT mechanics) are far lower than average to pick up Cpl and Sgt. Not sure about SNCO ranks. They also have pretty high re-enlistment bonuses right now, indicating that we don't have as many as we need. Go for it

Thank you for your comments. I feel much more comfortable now after hearing yalls opinions and suggestions. Also yes the enlistment bonus was nice, $20,000....

KRenee87
03-14-08, 09:50 PM
Hell NO MT ain't looked down on - every now and then a driver will slide over and let you drive.

Either that or ride off the side of the road through the orange groves so you can hang off the side in the back of a 5 ton and pick oranges going down the road :)

That makes sense. Dad did Motor T and they had him out in the middle of the desert in Yuma- by the orange and lemon groves. :confused:

DangerMMA, I'm not sure how long it took for him to get a promotion but I can ask if you want me to.

Brandon1
03-15-08, 07:00 AM
There was a website I fell across about a month or so ago, that said Infantry was second in the most dangerous jobs in Iraq, and MT was the first. I'll see if I can refind that site.

vision836
03-15-08, 07:41 AM
I was with 7th motors, 9th motors tad with 1st ANGLICO and 8th engines. I did my job with pride and dignity giving nothing less than 100% as I do today as an over the road driver. The 3500 field is alot of work but can also be alot of fun. Good Luck.

Old Marine
03-15-08, 08:53 AM
All jobs in the Corps are dangerous.

drillinstructor
03-15-08, 10:48 AM
Looked down on? Hmmm maybe the young Marines do that to each other but I never exierenced it. I have been MT since I started in 88 and as far as promotion goes, it is average with most MOS' and if you stay in like I have done then do some B-Billet's. Come and see me when they send your butt to Truck Co.

Master Sephiroth
03-15-08, 10:52 AM
MSgt. Walker, congratulation on making E-8.

jinelson
03-15-08, 11:33 AM
Congatulations Top from an old non clutching fart. Motor T was good to me, you call we haul if we can't truck it ....well you know the rest.

Jim

drillinstructor
03-15-08, 01:03 PM
Congatulations Top from an old non clutching fart. Motor T was good to me, you call we haul if we can't truck it ....well you know the rest.

Jim

Thanks Jim, MT has been good to me.........Hope all is well with you

drillinstructor
03-15-08, 01:04 PM
MSgt. Walker, congratulation on making E-8.

Thanks Master

Shaded07018
06-15-09, 09:36 PM
I was MT 3531... Yes, many do look down upon us... Why? Cus we roll with wheels. MT is a great MOS if you're into trucks. However, MT maint. is pretty sweet also, (So I hear).

MT is basically a grunt on wheels. The only difference is that they go through MCT instead of SOI.

The life expectancy of a grunt in combat is 8 seconds. (According to 2003).

The life expectancy of a Motor T Marine in combat is 3 seconds... Again, 2003.

Alongside with being a rifleman, you are a truck driver... So, you learn the strategy of defense within that vehicle... Different scenarios call for different reactions. I'd have to say that it's a lot more dangerous than being on foot because you're sitting in a 15' x 8' x 12' target. Ambushes are extremely common-- or IED's.

You will be considered a pog, but that doesn't mean you won't get into trouble. For instance, a supply guy could be hanging out in a CP tent back on post, but if he's mounting your gun on your truck and crap hits the fan, he is just as likely to meet hell as much as an 03.

Motor Transport is a great MOS.. Don't get me wrong. MT rescues in some instances, it reinforces units, and "transports" obviously. Those who look down upon you will praise you for getting them out of harms way.

I would however like to move to the 03 field. But, if MT is the only thing they will let me back in as, I will gladly take it. Good luck to you.

SGT7477
06-15-09, 09:38 PM
I was MT 3531... Yes, many do look down upon us... Why? Cus we roll with wheels. MT is a great MOS if you're into trucks. However, MT maint. is pretty sweet also, (So I hear).

MT is basically a grunt on wheels. The only difference is that they go through MCT instead of SOI.

The life expectancy of a grunt in combat is 8 seconds. (According to 2003).

The life expectancy of a Motor T Marine in combat is 3 seconds... Again, 2003.

Alongside with being a rifleman, you are a truck driver... So, you learn the strategy of defense within that vehicle... Different scenarios call for different reactions. I'd have to say that it's a lot more dangerous than being on foot because you're sitting in a 15' x 8' x 12' target. Ambushes are extremely common-- or IED's.

You will be considered a pog, but that doesn't mean you won't get into trouble. For instance, a supply guy could be hanging out in a CP tent back on post, but if he's mounting your gun on your truck and crap hits the fan, he is just as likely to meet hell as much as an 03.

Motor Transport is a great MOS.. Don't get me wrong. MT rescues in some instances, it reinforces units, and "transports" obviously. Those who look down upon you will praise you for getting them out of harms way.

I would however like to move to the 03 field. But, if MT is the only thing they will let me back in as, I will gladly take it. Good luck to you.
I washed enough of them damn trucks as an 0811.:D

ecom
06-16-09, 03:54 AM
As others have said, infantry often look down on anyone that wasn't infantry. I remember I met a Pvt at the airport who was going to be flying down to San Diego with me. We both apparently graduated the same company from MCRD San Diego. He was checking into SOI and I was going to MCT. He called me a ****ing POG ass mofo...and that was the end of that conversation.

Going through MOS school in electronics repair field, I looked down on those who were going through field radio operator course or field wireman course.

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 07:19 AM
WOW..... Looks like us Grunts are being picked on here. :beer: No biggie. Most grunts (the young ones) do look down on most MOS's. But then again, there are a lot of MOS's out there that do the same...

skipper72
06-16-09, 07:43 AM
Marines looking down on other Marines because of an "inferior" MOS ? O tempore, O mores ! (Or less tastefully said: what absolute chickensh*t!) Some use I would have been as an 0302 were there no chow makers in the Corps or supply humpers. Yes, I have looked down on other Marines. But only as an NAO (T), at altitude while coordinating close air support or as a flying FO for cannon cockers. But never out of pseudo-elitist conceit. Disgusting.

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 08:01 AM
Marines looking down on other Marines because of an "inferior" MOS ? O tempore, O mores ! (Or less tastefully said: what absolute chickensh*t!) Some use I would have been as an 0302 were there no chow makers in the Corps or supply humpers. Yes, I have looked down on other Marines. But only as an NAO (T), at altitude while coordinating close air support or as a flying FO for cannon cockers. But never out of pseudo-elitist conceit. Disgusting.

You know Skipper....... it is screwed up to a point. Things changed a lot from when you joined till I joined till today. I have seen Marines talk ****e to other Marines because of their MOS's. Just because they did, didn't mean they weren't building that lasting relationship of the brotherhood. It is all in good intentions. They may talk trash to each other, but when it comes down to it....... they are there for each other when they are needed. It's all good.

skipper72
06-16-09, 08:14 AM
Yes, things have changed a lot. That it is "all good" is a matter of personal opinion. I think mine should be obvious. Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful." And, for me, THAT includes faithfulness to the traditions of the Corps, as well. Having been subjected to a barrage of insults "across the street" and thrown out (4 times) without due cause, I do not quite see any "lasting relationships of brotherhood" as in MY era. But, still, I am willing to keep an open mind.

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 08:32 AM
Yes, things have changed a lot. That it is "all good" is a matter of personal opinion. I think mine should be obvious. Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful." And, for me, THAT includes faithfulness to the traditions of the Corps, as well. Having been subjected to a barrage of insults "across the street" and thrown out (4 times) without due cause, I do not quite see any "lasting relationships of brotherhood" as in MY era. But, still, I am willing to keep an open mind.

Keep the mind open Skipper...... the trash talking is just that. Talking trash. Meant in a light humor sort of way. Even when my dad was in( '53 - '57), he said there was some kidding around back then. Same thing just different times and different lingo. Lets just hope they keep the liquid courage out of it and no one will take it serious.

It's like the sea stories you can tell us. Some of these young Marines can tell the same story just different era and different people.

Ed Palmer
06-16-09, 08:45 AM
MOTOR T joke
Dumb Truckers
While driving along the back roads of a small town, two Arkansas truckers came to an overpass with a sign that read CLEARANCE 11'3". They got out and measured their rig, which was 12'4".

"What do you think?" one asked the other.

The driver looked around carefully, then shifted into first. "Not a cop in sight. Let's take a chance!"

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 08:49 AM
MOTOR T joke
Dumb Truckers
While driving along the back roads of a small town, two Arkansas truckers came to an overpass with a sign that read CLEARANCE 11'3". They got out and measured their rig, which was 12'4".

"What do you think?" one asked the other.

The driver looked around carefully, then shifted into first. "Not a cop in sight. Let's take a chance!"

I am from Arkansas and I still got a chuckle out of that.:beer:

skipper72
06-16-09, 09:08 AM
As to an open mind: WILCO. As to interest in the "sea stories" of MY era: no one now under the age of 55 has ever asked me to tell any. Is that significant ? Absolutely ! And do I care? Not really...

KawiGunny
06-16-09, 09:26 AM
As to an open mind: WILCO. As to interest in the "sea stories" of MY era: no one now under the age of 55 has ever asked me to tell any. Is that significant ? Absolutely ! And do I care? Not really...

Well if I am ever in Boise or you are ever in my neck of the woods, I would love to buy you a beer (or coffee) and hear about your time in our Corps. I have always loved listening to the stories of Marines that came before me. Semper Fi Brother. :beer:

ST331
06-16-09, 09:48 AM

Dave

I was Motor T, and its not looked down upon.

Of course, you're going to have guys in 02XX Intel, who think you don't have half a brain because it doesn't require a high ASVAB score to be a 3531 (screw them, I scored a 96)

and Infantry guys, who look down on every MOS that doesn't begin with "03"

but no, in general people don't look down on Motor T. Someone's gotta truck the gear and ammo around...

skipper72
06-16-09, 06:11 PM
You're ON, Marine! Any beverage of choice (though in moderation).

skipper72
06-16-09, 06:20 PM
Long ago and in far away Vieques, a young Marine 1 stripe grunt got drunk and tore into a cannon cocker for "hiding" in defilade during battle instead of being a "fire-and-maneuver hero" like a REAL Marine. His adversary replied in a low, calm voice, "Keep it up and we can arrange a "Drop 200. Fire for effect !"

Arrogance directed against one's comrades-in-arms by any ground pounder--even in jest-- is the mark of serious insecurity. And an insecure Marine is thoroughgoingly pathetic.

a former Captain of Marines
0302/0805