PDA

View Full Version : Veterans share 'other side' of Iraq conflict

thedrifter
03-14-08, 06:07 AM
Veterans share 'other side' of Iraq conflict
After anti-war guests, Eastern students told to study facts themselves

Derek Wallbank
Lansing State Journal

U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Jon Stine of Lansing, who served in southern Iraq in 2003, said he wanted Eastern High School students to know what his experiences were during the war.

Things like how was the food? ("Terrible"). What did the scenery look like? ("Beautiful").

"The kids I was talking to, they weren't interested in (whether the war was) right, wrong or indifferent," Stine said. "They wanted to know how we felt when we left (to go to war)."

Stine presented what he called the "other side" weeks after an Iraq war veteran and Iraqi citizen, both opposed to the war, visited Eastern, urging students to work to end the war.

After criticism from some students and veterans groups that only one side of the issue had been represented, the Lansing School District issued an open invitation to speakers to present opposing viewpoints.

Stine and Doug Williams, 68, of Lansing, were among four Marine veterans who accepted, speaking to Eastern students Thursday about the benefits and drawbacks of military service.

About 50 students from two classes - the same students who heard the first presentation - attended.

"We're not here to tell you that war is the answer," Williams told the students.

"We are here to help you understand that we disagree with what you were told before and only want you to be able to determine for yourself what is fact and what is not."

Dustin Colosky, 16, said he plans on joining either the Army or the Marines when he graduates high school, adding that he has no qualms about serving in Iraq, if asked.

"I think that if the government is telling us to do it then it must be something that is at least somewhat right," he said.

"We went and blew up their country. We might as well stay and fix it."

Dustin said that, having heard two sides of the story, he now knows much more about the Iraq war than he did just a few months ago.

"You get both sides of the story from two people that have been there."

Aseel Machi, 17, was born in Najaf, Iraq, and said she still has family in the country.

She keeps in touch with them frequently to find out about their experiences during and after the war.

While she agreed with the two anti-war speakers, Aseel said she enjoyed hearing the Marines' point of view.

"I disagree with what they had to say," Aseel said.

"I like just seeing the other side of things."

Contact Derek Wallbank at 267-1301 or dwallbank@lsj.com.

Ellie