PDA

View Full Version : Police investigating armed robbery of Mildenhall bank used by soldiers

thedrifter
03-13-08, 08:32 AM
Police investigating armed robbery of Mildenhall bank used by soldiers
By Bryan Mitchell, Stars and Stripes
European edition, Wednesday, March 12, 2008

MILDENHALL, England — Suffolk authorities are investigating the brazen armed robbery of a bank frequented by American servicemembers in this normally quiet town.

The heist comes a week after a nearby pharmacy was robbed and a few months after thieves struck the chapel on RAF Mildenhall. It’s unclear if any of the three crimes are connected.

The bank robbery occurred around 8 p.m. Monday when a silver Vauxhall Omega pulled up to the Nationwide Building Society on Market Place in Mildenhall as a security van was delivering cash, according to the Suffolk Constabulary.

The suspects, clad in ski masks and camouflage clothing, then smashed the window of the building’s front door. The constabulary said that four suspects were involved in the heist.

Police said one of the robbers held a bank security guard at bay with a stun-gun device, but no one was injured in the incident.

The suspects made off with three cartridges containing a “large quantity” of cash, according to the constabulary. They fled in the sedan toward the five-points roundabout and the A11 highway.

The manager of a nearby grocery store who was at work during the incident said it was a discreet affair. “I didn’t even know there had been a robbery until a customer came in and told me,” said McColl’s deputy manager, Rosina Watson. “I was absolutely gobsmacked when I heard about it.”

The manager of the bank declined to speak about the incident, citing the ongoing investigation.

The supervisor of Lloyd’s Pharmacy said police are investigating a robbery in which the suspects made off with an undisclosed quantity of prescription medicines. Meanwhile, Air Force investigators are conducting a probe into the theft of $7,000 from the RAF Mildenhall base chapel in January.

Ellie