PDA

View Full Version : Young Golczinski, children of slain Marines honored

thedrifter
03-13-08, 07:15 AM
Article published Mar 13, 2008
Young Golczinski, children of slain Marines honored
Special to The DNJ

On Saturday night, Boeing's building 33 in St. Louis was filled with dozens of battle-tested U.S. Marines and federal law enforcement agents, but the real hero was a 10-year-old boy whose sacrifice exemplified why all had come together.

Sponsored by Boeing and its St. Louis site team, the 26th Anniversary Marine Corps-Law Enforcement Foundation Gala was held to raise money for the children of U.S. Marines killed in action and federal law enforcement agents killed while on duty.

The money provides assistance for education, special needs and care to the children due to the loss of their parent. Since its creation in 1995, MCLEF has provided more than 33 million in grants and money to children nationwide. More than $225,000 has been paid out in the St. Louis region.

Standing next to his mother, Heather Golcynski, 10-year-old Christian gently wiped a tear from his eye as she delivered impassioned remarks about the hours immediately following notification that her husband, 30-year-old U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sergeant Marcus Golszynski, had been killed by small arms fire in Fallujah, Iraq on March 27, 2007.

"There was a knock on the door, and a U.S. Marine was standing there. I'll never forget the first words of that telegram: 'The President of the United States regrets to inform you...' My knees buckled as I thought, how was I going to be a single mother and father together, how would I pay for Christian's college...everything."

Heather Golczynski stood before the evening's donors, her son by her side as a Daily News Journal photograph of Christian accepting the Stars and Stripes from his father's flag-draped casket was shown. Marc Golczynski was born in Georgia, grew up in Lewisburg, and lived and worked in Murfreesboro when not on duty.

Medal of Honor recipient U.S. Marine 1st Lt. Harvey C. "Barney" Barnum Jr. said, "That is one of the most powerful pictures I've ever seen. It exemplifies everything this night is all about."

Christian's college has been taken care of with a $30,000 grant from MCLEF, a burden lifted from the shoulders of his mother by the organization designed to support the families of those who sacrificed their lives for freedom.

U.S. Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James T. Conway, special guest for the evening, said that his Marines can breathe easy knowing that MCLEF and fellow Marine families will step in, if they themselves cannot.

"This organization is a blessing. You don't like to dwell on it while you're focused on your missions, but knowing that MCLEF is providing for so many families who need it the most is a tremendous relief," he said.

"I'm humbled by the strength of Christian and his mother, and also by the generosity of this community who are not forgetting our Marines," he said.

Christian said later that the high point of the night for him was receiving a personalized challenge coin from the U.S. Marine commandant.

"The level of participation present at the event showcases the importance of this cause. These children can't be forgotten," said Tom Canivit, assistant federal security director for law enforcement with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. "The distinguished gathering of heroes and world leaders is a tribute to MCLEF and the thousands of service personnel and federal agents securing our safety and freedoms."

With all of the pomp and circumstance, and distinguished VIPs attending the gala, most eyes in the room fell to that little 10-year-old boy clutching a General's challenge coin he wasn't about to give up.

Asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, Christian Golczynski was quick to say without hesitation, "A U.S. Marine like my dad."

Ellie