PDA

View Full Version : Marines get surprise welcome

thedrifter
03-13-08, 07:12 AM
Marines get surprise welcome

March 13, 2008
By Eva McKendrick emckendrick@scn1.com

Lance Cpl. Christopher Tovar of Downers Grove and Cpl. Daniel J. Montgomery of Naperville missed Thanksgiving, birthdays, Christmas and Valentine's Day over the past seven months while they were fighting in Iraq. On March 8, the two Marines had their own holiday to celebrate.

Tovar and Montgomery flew into Midway Airport, where they were received with a hero's welcome. Between celebrations at Midway, Wannemaker's in Downers Grove and Heritage Harley-Davidson in Lisle, an estimated 300 people showed up to greet the two, all of which was a complete surprise to Tovar, 20, and Montgomery, 24.

"I just expected to have a simple dinner at home," Tovar said during the welcome-home surprise party at Heritage Harley-Davidson.

Downers Grove Mayor Ron Sandack greeted the two at Wannemaker's, and Naperville Mayor George Pradel gave them a welcome-home speech, mentioning that his grandson is expected to return home from the Marines in four months.

"Let's have a great time and celebrate," Pradel said.

The crowd did just that. Family, friends and members of Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Patriot Guard and the USO came out for a celebratory dinner.

The Marines were welcomed with hundreds of hugs, handshakes and pats on the back and were given complimentary lottery tickets at the party.

"I'm overwhelmed," Montgomery said. "This is all a surprise."

Though Tovar and Montgomery had never met until the plane ride March 8, their mothers, Le Ellyn Mendez-Tovar and Denise Montgomery, found out their sons were coming home on the same day and planned the joint party.

They were helped by Donna Morsovillo, who has helped coordinate two other military homecomings in the area.

The Orland Park VFW and the Naperville American Legion worked to organize the Marine homecoming.

"I just can't say enough thank-yous to everybody," Mendez-Tovar said.

Ellie