PDA

View Full Version : Speeder Tasered by trooper on YouTube video gets $40,000 from state (with video)

jetdawgg
03-12-08, 12:43 PM
http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2008/0311/20080311__ut_cops_tasersettled_0311~1_Viewer.jpg (http://www.sltrib.com/portlet/article/html/render_gallery.jsp?articleId=8529728&siteId=297&startImage=1)

Jared Massey
A Vernal man shocked twice with a Taser during a traffic stop last year has accepted a $40,000 settlement in a lawsuit filed against the state and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper.

The Utah Attorney General's Office announced the settlement between Jared Massey and UHP trooper Jon Gardner on Monday.

"We think this is a legally defensible case because Trooper Gardner acted reasonably to avert a volatile and potentially dangerous confrontation on the side of a busy highway," said Assistant Attorney General Scott Cheney, who represented Gardner. "We recognize, however, that this is a close case."
The settlement comes on the heels of a decision by Tooele County prosecutors

<TABLE class=clikTable><TBODY><TR><TD class=clikTableTD>The Massey Case
<!-- FREEFORM TEXT GOES HERE -->
-- Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Jon Gardner shocks Massey twice during a Sept. 14 traffic stop for speeding in Uintah County.
-- UHP announced Nov. 29 an internal investigation found Gardner did nothing wrong.

-- On Jan. 10, Massey pleads guilty to speeding and pays a $107 citation. Eight days later, he files a civil lawsuit alleging Gardner violated his civil rights.

-- The Tooele County Attorney's Office says March 4 Gardner's conduct was not criminal.

-- The state on Monday announces it has settled the lawsuit for $40,000.
<!-- END OF FREEFORM TEXT -->

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
earlier this month that determined Gardner's actions were not criminal. An internal UHP investigation also cleared the trooper.

Video of the trooper zapping Massey, taken by the trooper's dashboard camera, came to prominence after Massey posted it on the Internet site YouTube. Since it was posted last year, it has been viewed more than 1.7 million times.

Massey's attorney, Bob Sykes, said Monday the offer to settle the case was not the state's first and that his client decided to take it.
Massey filed a lawsuit against Gardner in January alleging the trooper violated his civil rights when he zapped him during a traffic stop Sept. 14, 2007, on Highway 40 in Uintah County.

He was stopped for driving 61 mph in a 40 mph zone.
During the stop, Massey argued with Gardner about his speed and then refused to sign the citation. Massey then got out of his car and followed Gardner to his police car where he was asked to place his hands behind his back. When Massey refused, Gardner shocked him.

The suit said Massey fell screaming in pain after being shocked while Gardner taunted him by saying, "Hurts, doesn't it?" Massey struck his head against the pavement and was zapped a second time because he was unable to immediately obey an order to turn over on his stomach, according to the suit.

"We thought the amount of force used was outrageous," Sykes said Monday.

The settlement amount includes attorneys' fees. The Attorney General's Office says Massey has agreed to dismiss his lawsuit, all claims against Gardner and all potential claims against UHP, the Utah Department of Public Safety and the state.
jbergreen@sltrib.com

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_8529728

hrscowboy
03-12-08, 02:08 PM
Hahhahahahahaha i would have kicked him a couple times in the face for his smart mouth and tazed his arse again again.. Just no respect for the badge anymore..

gutinstinct
03-12-08, 04:38 PM
God, how I hate a skels attorney.

OLE SARG
03-12-08, 05:17 PM
Sounds like this prick massey got what the **** he deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've had cases just like this and I was not quite as gentle as this Trooper was.
Some times you just want to say, "Go ahead *******, make my day"!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

CHOPPER7199
03-12-08, 05:30 PM
Wonder If He Got A Cage Ride? The Creep.

HOLM
03-12-08, 06:13 PM
Watching the video I got the impression that wan't the first time he had had a tazer point at his dumbass.

FistFu68
03-12-08, 06:33 PM
:evilgrin: NO RESPECT FOR THE LAW-IN THE OLD DAY'S HE WOULD HAVE GOTTEN A GOOD OLD FASHIONED AZZ-WHIPPIN @ TOOK IT LIKE A MAN :evilgrin:

Dave Coup
03-12-08, 07:15 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">Fist, I'm afraid those days are gone forever, too bad. There's a lot of weak stock out there. Needs culling or teaching.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

jetdawgg
03-12-08, 07:55 PM
The Cop is not the judge or jury

testforecho2112
03-12-08, 08:10 PM
Jet, you are absolutely right, however, his position does carry a large amount of authority, and as citizens of this country we are REQUIRED to obey lawful orders from any and all Police officers, regardless if we dont understand why.

As far as this goes, the trooper was detaining him for a traffic violation, and he was obligated to follow the troopers orders, for his safety, the safety of the people in the car with him, and for the trooper.

The trooper was writing a summons for this youngman to meet the judge and jury, he brought this on himself.

Bill

jetdawgg
03-12-08, 08:12 PM
Jet, you are absolutely right, however, his position does carry a large amount of authority, and as citizens of this country we are REQUIRED to obey lawful orders from any and all Police officers, regardless if we dont understand why.

As far as this goes, the trooper was detaining him for a traffic violation, and he was obligated to follow the troopers orders, for his safety, the safety of the people in the car with him, and for the trooper.

The trooper was writing a summons for this youngman to meet the judge and jury, he brought this on himself.

Bill

The point here is that the actions of the cop caused the citizens to pay 40K. That should have come out of his salary instead of the taxpayers

testforecho2112
03-12-08, 08:19 PM
But it wasnt the cops fault for this guy speeding, which is was started this whole thing. If the youngman in question had been following the law, he wouldnt have been pulled over, and wouldnt have gotten tazed, and we wouldnt be discussing this at all! I think his fine should be $40,000! I guess thats why i'm not a judge!

jetdawgg
03-12-08, 08:32 PM
I still don't think that the young man tazed himself. That (the blaming of the victim being tazed) is irrational imo

yellowwing
03-12-08, 08:40 PM
Get that dumb kid to Parris Island. He will learn RESPECT.

OLE SARG
03-12-08, 09:42 PM
Let's face it, the turd got what the **** he deserved. I think the Trooper was too kind to the smartmouth little *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of the liberal bull**** is coming to a head with all the "entitled" children running around out in the "real" World. They have no respect for authority, age, women, etc.
I agree with yellowwing and I say you respect me or you will learn respect!!!

SEMPER FI,

HOLM
03-13-08, 07:55 AM
The point here is that the actions of the cop caused the citizens to pay 40K. That should have come out of his salary instead of the taxpayers

Why was he heading back to his SUV in the first placer instead of showing some respect and just following VERY basic instructions.

Oh thats right to "drive back to the speed limit sign" to show the cop he wasn't speeding. Yeah Right.

I dislike cops with attitudes just about more than anyone on the planet. As a kid I mouthed off more than my fair share to these guys, but there is a definate line there that I never crossed. This punk did.

What would you have to say when that SOB jumped into the SUV and pulled out in front of some family trying to evade that officer. Yeah... Then everybody says "why didn't the cop taser his ass" Oh thats right..

The kid isn't hurt. Just got his ego bruised. Cops around here get tased as part of their training. And sprayed. It isn't that big of a deal. Sure it hurts. But then it is over. And DONE.

Grow up you little chit. (massey)

hrscowboy
03-13-08, 08:28 AM
Dawg you amaze me you know dang well if you pulled that crap in NY them cops would clean your plow and do it real quick. There are departments here in Kansas and Missouri that are now pulling the video cams out of the patrol vehicles because of all this crap that attorneys are pullin. If that little arse would have pulled that crap in Kansas City theres no doubt it would have been worse on his young arse. I have rode with some the NYPD and they dont take any carbage from anyone. Kansas City PD and Missouri Highway Patrol wont cut you no slack either.. try that bull crap in Kansas City Kansas and you will have not 1 but 6 officers in your arse in a heart beat..

hrscowboy
03-13-08, 08:39 AM
Oh i also forgot to tell ya that in some states (Failure to Comply with a lawful order of a Police officer) is a felony and the officer has any right including deadly force to make that arrest.. Utah may be one of them that dont have that law and thats a Damn shame..

OLE SARG
03-13-08, 09:28 AM
Well put cowboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 10:49 AM
I reply respectfully and intelligently to all Police Actions that I confront:usmc:

Please do not mistake me for a common idiot

SF

sscjoe
03-13-08, 10:52 AM
Polititcians in this country need to kissing the butts of the liberal media and stand up for those protecting our streets and defending our freedom. Must have been election time in Utah.

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 11:00 AM
Polititcians in this country need to kissing the butts of the liberal media and stand up for those protecting our streets and defending our freedom. Must have been election time in Utah.

More of the Police State Mentality on display....

sscjoe
03-13-08, 11:12 AM
and more of Dawgs liberalism

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 11:25 AM
and more of Dawgs liberalism

Jealous?

sscjoe
03-13-08, 12:08 PM
Not in the least. Everyone has aright to their own viewpoint.

Gary Hall
03-13-08, 12:38 PM
My apologies, sympathy and admiration to the Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Gardner for the lack of respect shown to the Officer by the State of Utah in this incident. I have nothing but contempt for the irresponsible conduct by the sheitbird civilian Massey. There's something bad wrong in Utah where a pervert (US Senator Larry Craig) continues to get away with despicable behavior, with obvious approval of the populace of Utah. I'm not surprised. Hang in there Trooper Gardner, my vote is for you and your conduct in the matter. If it had been a jury trial and were I a member of the jury, I would have voted a hazardous duty bonus (more than $40,000), to you, for your services along with a citation for good civic duty. The US needs more such dedication and would be better off for same. BTW, my DI (1948-MCRD San Diego), was SSGT D. D. Gardner, veteran and survivor of 44 months of Japanese captivity, starting 24 Dec., 1941 at a place called Wake Island. Trooper Gardner, could you possibly be maybe his grandson or other kin? Kindest regards and best wishes in the future, and be careful out there. Gary Hall

FistFu68
03-13-08, 01:57 PM
:evilgrin: POLICE STATE-THE NEXT TIME YOU'RE IN A REAL JAM CALL A F**KING CRACK HEAD:D

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 02:28 PM
:evilgrin: POLICE STATE-THE NEXT TIME YOU'RE IN A REAL JAM CALL A F**KING CRACK HEAD:D

The only time I call the Police is to fill out a report:D or doughnuts

sscjoe
03-13-08, 02:33 PM
You must have been hooked up by NYPD or just watch the news to much.

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 03:29 PM
You must have been hooked up by NYPD or just watch the news to much.

I have had more opportunities outside of NY than inside of it. Intellectual capacity RULES!!!!:usmc:

FistFu68
03-13-08, 04:15 PM
:evilgrin: THERE IS A 6FT. RULE A 360 DEGREE CIRCLE OF COMFORT,YOU COME WITHIN IT;YOU ARE MOST LIKELY GONNA GET A BULLET PUT IN YOU'RE AZZ .IT NEED'S TOO BE PUT BACK INTO AFFECT AND NEEDS TOO BE UNDERSTOOD BY EVERYONE!!! YOU EVER HAD YOU'RE AZZ BEAT DOWN BY A BLACK COP JETT???:evilgrin: OR YOU GONNA SAY NO JUST A WHITE ONE???;)

testforecho2112
03-13-08, 06:33 PM
Jet, sorry for the delay in replying, but the youngman did indeed asked to be tazed...he failed to follow the troopers order to stay away from his vehicle. He walked back to his vehicle, and as a former deputy, the first thought that comes to my mind is that he was possibly going to get a weapon. I would have tazed him as well...again, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree..., but neither of us were standing in that troopers shoes, so we cant really armchair quarterback his decision fairly, can we? The trooper went home safe, and the youngman did as well, minus a couple of tazer probe holes...no broken bones, no GSW's, and that trooper deciding to use that level of force seems justified to me (and to the review board obviously).

Although I do disagree with you calling him a 'victim', he was being detained for breaking the law, that that makes him a 'suspect' in my opinion! And yes, I do blame the 'suspect' in this case!

jetdawgg
03-13-08, 07:17 PM
No cop has ever had to beat me down.:usmc:

SlingerDun
03-13-08, 07:53 PM
That was entirely special. Generation 'why'. sometimes the suburban prince and princess have to pee on the electric fence to see if and how it works hehehe. Speaking of electric fences, does a taze feels like getting popped by a cattle hotshot while wearing wet boots and clothes? or

--->Dave

testforecho2112
03-13-08, 08:03 PM
The closest I can come to describing it is this, it feel likes getting hit with a hundred baseball bats at once, but with out the bruises, broken bones, and blood (well, in most cases). Then its over! Just like that...I hate having to get tazed for recertification...I'd choose getting Peppersprayed ten times over getting tazed once for 5 seconds.

This is one of the BEST videos showing how effective a taser can be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J9_Xcs0Tho

I have some video from when I was going through the police academy and we taped our selves getting tasered and OC'd. I'll have to dig it up and post if for all of your viewing pleasure.

HOLM
03-13-08, 08:28 PM
Please do not mistake me for a common idiot

SF

No Jet, I don't think anybody around here would mistake you for just a common idiot.

:bunny:

Dave Coup
03-13-08, 10:33 PM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

No Jet, I don't think anybody around here would mistake you for just a common idiot.

:bunny::D LMAO:D

jetdawgg
03-14-08, 07:11 AM

:bunny:

Yes, I am an educated one:D

sscjoe
03-17-08, 12:33 PM
Just what the world needs another educated idiot

jetdawgg
03-17-08, 01:20 PM
Just what the world needs another educated idiot

And now I have to stay broke so that my oldest to gets to carry the torch:D
The cost of becoming and educated idiot is outrageous and getting more and more upsurd each year:D

bigdog43701
03-17-08, 02:05 PM
jet...suppose you think the officer was wrong for taseing him....officer did it right...do what ur told and it won't happen.

jetdawgg
03-17-08, 02:25 PM
jet...suppose you think the officer was wrong for taseing him....officer did it right...do what ur told and it won't happen.

Police State Mentality!!!!:usmc:

bigdog43701
03-17-08, 03:29 PM
jet...let me relate somethingtoyou. i have personaly lost 2 very good friends (fellow officers) in the line of duty. both officers were EXECUTED. one was crawling away begging for his life when the dirtbag put the barrle of his (the officers) gun to his forehead and pulled the trigger. then this a$$hole took the officers gun and traded it for crack.the second fiend was flagged down by someone looking for a place to ride sleds. when he turned around the guy pulled a 45 pistol and shot him in the back of the head, for trying to help him. in the case of the video the trooper DID tell him he was under arrest and the guy was still walking back to his car. did the trooper know for sure there were no weapons in it, why was he walking away from the trooper AFTER being told he was under arrest (also maybe surprise you to know if you REFUSE to sign a traffis citaion in any state you can go to jail simply for that). NO this officer actedaccordingly..he ordered him to stop (they guy did not) he "presented" the TASER and the guy continued to disobey the troopers commands...the trooper anounced his inention to deploy the TASER and the guy still continued to walk away son that's 3 strikes. bottom line the guy asked for it and got what he asked for.

DocGreek
03-17-08, 04:19 PM
:iwo: Those of us, who ARE, COMBAT VETS, and old farts...don't giva a f$$k about OTHER'S opinions, of how we see the world...today! Being an officer of the law, is, today, just the same as being in combat! You never know who "the enemy" is, could be..a little kid, who's a wannabe', pulls a piece, and shoots your a$$! OR...an old lady, who does the same thing, because she see's YOU, as the ENEMY!! God...PLEASE HELP US!!

Quote..."There's NO excuse for ignorance, OR stupidity!"...Doc Greek

bigdog43701
03-17-08, 05:44 PM
doc...you have three types of responces for the three diferant shifts...days you say "yes sir, yes mam" afternoons you say "damnit i said" and midnights its "mf'r i said get your fuc$@in hands out of your pockets"

got called in court by defenseattorney once. he asked if i told his client that he must be a crook, since i didn't smellalcohol on him. i said, "yes sir i did say that. he asked me to explain and i said i was a midnight shift deputy and that after about 130am the only people i normally deal with are cops, crooks or drunks. and since i did not see a badge on him or smell alcohol on him he must be a crook. turned out he had been breaking into cars. everyone, including the judge laughed thier a$$ off.

OLE SARG
03-17-08, 05:53 PM
Bigdog, I wish I could have had occasion to use that line when I was active law enforcement. That's a great story!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

bigdog43701
03-17-08, 06:02 PM
great story...and it's true. told by LTC in army that i was rude, crude and socially unacceptable (after drinking beer from a pitcher...didn't loose a drop in good Marine fashion)

testforecho2112
03-17-08, 06:16 PM
I hated being put on 'days' becuase I had a 'grave yard attitude'. Basically, when you have been on graves for a while, since everyone you deal with is a cop, crook or drunk, you get in the habit of treating EVERYONE you meet that way...even when its a pretty little blonde whos working the register at the grocery store...poor baby, I gave her some **** for asking if I was having a good day...that told me I needed to get off nights for a while! Ahhh...the good ole days!

jetdawgg
03-17-08, 06:57 PM
It is well documented that African American Males are killed by cops on an annual basis. The history is prevelant. It is sad that Americans must be against each other like this.

How about being civil on both sides. I myself have been confronted by cops that were not up to challenge. I have been stopped due to the car I was diving and such.

Just ridiculous. Cops like that should not be on the force as they are a waste of taxpayer dollars not to mention a security risks to all:usmc:

testforecho2112
03-17-08, 07:06 PM
Um Jet, not only are African American Males killed on an annual basis, so are white males, native american males, hispanic males...etc...Idiotdom isnt limited to a particular race or gender, but rather is a common issue for humans in general.

DocGreek
03-17-08, 08:01 PM
:iwo: Sarge...Like I said, things have gotten so bad, that officers, HAVE TO defend themselves! How are we, going to change this mess? BRING BACK THE DRAFT!! EVERYBODY, under 31, HAS TO SERVE! Maybe, not in combat, but...we CAN find, really productive, jobs, like babysitting for young Mothers, so they can WORK...and support their own families. We HAVE to do something, start somewhere, or our country, and our society, will take a BIG dump! YOU were RIGHT, about what you said, we are so defensive, that we're in a really bad position!:flag: ALWAYS FAITHFUL.....Doc Greek