PDA

View Full Version : Requesting Clearification re: PLC

benw17
03-12-08, 12:42 PM
Dear Leatherneck Forum Members,

I have searched through the internet and the forums but I wanted to get some clarification before I make a decision.

Goal: To join the Marines and become an officer. I believe the term is to be a Mustang.

Situation: Currently finishing up my community college general education.

Please Clarify: Based on the reading and research I have found, the pipeline for me is ~
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
1. Transfer to a four year school,
2. Enlist for the PLC program with a recruiter,
3. Go to boot camp and finish, then go back to school (at which point I can get either Montgomery GI bill or Tuition assistance)
4. Next summer - go to additional training/ MOS
5. Graduate,
6. Go to OCS, and then go to TBS, then deployment.

Additional <st1:PersonName>info</st1:PersonName>rmation: I understand there are multiple ways to become an officer such as NROTC, getting the degree and OCS, rising through ranks, and etc. However I would like to go through boot camp and specifically the crucible.

In conclusion, my question is, am I correct about the pipeline to being an officer?

Thank you in advance,
Ben

Parker-0321
03-12-08, 12:50 PM
Very professional.

Please read our rules and regulations prior to posting. I.E. Fill out your profile.

benw17
03-12-08, 01:07 PM
I apoligize for that. I thought i had already filled it out.

rvillac2
03-12-08, 01:09 PM
Facts:
Once you apply and are accepted to PLC, you will not be able to go to boot camp.

In order to go to boot camp over the summer, you'll have to get a 92day contract. Not everyone can qualify for it. If you get it, you can apply for PLC once you return from boot camp and restart school.

You are not eligible for educational assistance until after you've finished your MOS school and are satisfactorily serving in your unit.

If you complete PLC, then once you graduate, you will go directly to TBS. It is either PLC or OCC, not both. Both programs are at OCS.

My Opinion:
So, what your telling us is that you'd like to go to summer camp and then jump out of your contract as a Reservist? Why bother? Do you think you'll get any more respect? I'm beginning to think that nobody should be considered a Mustang until they've served more time than just boot/mos school. The term used to describe a special kind of Marine. We should keep it that way.

benw17
03-12-08, 02:03 PM
Facts:
Once you apply and are accepted to PLC, you will not be able to go to boot camp.

In order to go to boot camp over the summer, you'll have to get a 92day contract. Not everyone can qualify for it. If you get it, you can apply for PLC once you return from boot camp and restart school.

You are not eligible for educational assistance until after you've finished your MOS school and are satisfactorily serving in your unit.

If you complete PLC, then once you graduate, you will go directly to TBS. It is either PLC or OCC, not both. Both programs are at OCS.

My Opinion:
So, what your telling us is that you'd like to go to summer camp and then jump out of your contract as a Reservist? Why bother? Do you think you'll get any more respect? I'm beginning to think that nobody should be considered a Mustang until they've served more time than just boot/mos school. The term used to describe a special kind of Marine. We should keep it that way.

Understoof and the opinion noted. I did not know that the term Mustang was a distinguished titled, so I made the presumption that it was just a term for someone who was enlisted that became an officer. I apoligize for that.

Explaination:

I believe I am confused because since most of the information presented online does not really cover questiones from the point of view of a Community College student.

I thought that enlisting and going through boot would be a good option since if I were to be an officer I would be able to lead men that might respect me more since I went through the basic training that they went through.

My next step is to contact both the local OSO and Recruiter to clarify what I should do.

1. stop college transfer and just join and serve active duty

2. complete college fully and enlist.

Sincerely,
Ben

rvillac2
03-12-08, 03:11 PM
Understoof and the opinion noted. I did not know that the term Mustang was a distinguished titled, so I made the presumption that it was just a term for someone who was enlisted that became an officer.

You didn't use the term incorrectly. It is just easier and more common now for Marines to become Mustangs. Historically, Mustangs proved themselves worthy of promotions with superior and meritorious service. They were seldom promoted while still serving their 1st enlistment contract. In fact, they were often promoted after receiving a normal complement of service ribbons and medals. Those ribbon racks were what actually distinguished them from other OCS candidates on graduation day. After some time in the fleet there will only be two ribbons that would distinguish a true Mustang from the other officers.

With all this talk about 92day/PLC'ers, the term Mustang is being cheapened in my opinion. Why would we as Marines respect you more than any other officer? You've never led Marines.

Passing OCS/TBS is much harder than passing bootcamp. Living as a Pvt/PFC/LCpl is even harder still. It was said before in another thread and I partially agree; the term Mustang should apply to former Sergeants and above. However, I would also include anyone who finished their first enlistment contract AND any Marine walking around with a CAR.

rvillac2
03-12-08, 03:13 PM
My next step is to contact both the local OSO and Recruiter to clarify what I should do.

1. stop college transfer and just join and serve active duty

2. complete college fully and enlist.

Sincerely,
Ben

If you want to become an officer, forget about enlisting. Finish your bachelor's degree asap. Meanwhile, apply for PLC.

Camper51
03-12-08, 03:33 PM
Dear Leatherneck Forum Members,

I have searched through the internet and the forums but I wanted to get some clarification before I make a decision.

Goal: To join the Marines and become an officer. I believe the term is to be a Mustang.

Situation: Currently finishing up my community college general education.

Please Clarify: Based on the reading and research I have found, the pipeline for me is ~
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->
1. Transfer to a four year school,
2. Enlist for the PLC program with a recruiter,
3. Go to boot camp and finish, then go back to school (at which point I can get either Montgomery GI bill or Tuition assistance)
4. Next summer - go to additional training/ MOS
5. Graduate,
6. Go to OCS, and then go to TBS, then deployment.

Additional <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 /><st1:PersonName>info</st1:PersonName>rmation: I understand there are multiple ways to become an officer such as NROTC, getting the degree and OCS, rising through ranks, and etc. However I would like to go through boot camp and specifically the crucible.

In conclusion, my question is, am I correct about the pipeline to being an officer?

Thank you in advance,
Ben

You seem to have the very mistaken idea that if you are a mustanger that you would be more respected as an officer. Nothing could be further from the truth. Respect is earned. Earned by being a good leader and proving your worth in front of those whom you lead.

Just take yourself and do what you need to become an officer and forget about going through enlisted boot camp and the crucible. Prove yourself as an officer and the respect will come with it.

You will get absolutely no respect if you are a lousy officer, even if you are a mustanger...