PDA

View Full Version : WTOC Salutes Three Outstanding Marines

thedrifter
03-11-08, 08:37 PM
WTOC Salutes Three Outstanding Marines

Posted: March 11, 2008 05:04 PM

Updated: March 11, 2008 05:47 PM

BEAUFORT, SC (WTOC) - Three outstanding Marines are honored with the bronze star for their role in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The Bronze Star medal is quite an honor, but recently three Marines at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort, including Lt. Col. James Quinn, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Aivaz, and Lt. Col. John Bolt each received one for their contributions during Operation Iraqi Freedom.

"It's a result of being around great marines, working hard," said Lt. Col. Quin. "I'm just reaping the awards from hard work from other folks but it means a lot to me."

"It's a little humbling," said Lt. Col. Aivaz. "I was not expecting it, definitely a product of working with a good team."

As the executive officer of Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 2-24, Lt. Col. Bolt is very proud of this honor, but he says he's most proud of his accomplishments in Iraq. During his deployment Bolt spearheaded numerous initiatives to grow the Iraqi Army and was directly responsible for nearly doubling the division's recruiting efforts.

"We really made a difference," said Lt. Col Bolt. "We left the Iraqi army better than we got there. The fact that by the time we left we turned them over to the Iraqi army's control, that they were able to conduct operations with minimal US assistance, and they're actually making a positive impact on reducing the terrorism."

Bolt says this honor will always serve as a special reminder of his time in Iraq. "When I look at this award it's going to remind me of the great memories I have, good friendships I made both with marines and Iraqi officers," said Lt. Col. Bolt.

For their outstanding service and dedication to our country, we at WTOC salute Lt. Col. James Quinn, Lt. Col. Jeffrey Avaiz and Lt. Col. John Bolt.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

Ellie