PDA

View Full Version : Tuskegee Airman gives black history lessons to Marines and Status of Forces Agreement

thedrifter
03-10-08, 10:30 AM
Tuskegee Airman gives black history lessons to Marines and Status of Forces Agreement personnel on Okinawa
Lance Cpl. Ryan Wicks

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan(March 7, 2008) -- A former Tuskegee Airman spoke to a crowd of Status of Forces Agreement personnel at the Camp Foster Theater during a Black History Month observance Feb. 26.

Retired Air Force Lt. Col Charles W. Dryden talked about his experiences with the Tuskegee Airmen, the first black pilots in the U.S. military.

The Tuskegee Airmen flew with distinction during World War II as the U.S. Army Air Corps’ 332nd Fighter Group.

The Atlanta native shared what being a black pilot and an American meant to him during the event.

Congress forced the Army Air Corps to form an all-black combat unit in 1941, despite the U.S. Department of War objections. The War Office tried to eliminate the force by only accepting those with a high level of education and flight experience, but their efforts were futile due to the large number of black Americans who qualified for the job despite the restrictions, according to http://history.sandiego.edu.

Dryden told the audience about his time in the service and the hardships that he and other black airmen endured during WWII.

“We felt like we had to be the absolute best at everything we did because of the way we were scrutinized,” Dryden said. “It didn’t matter if you were a pilot or a cook; you had to be the best.”

Dryden did everything possible while in the service to continue fighting for America, despite the obstacles of discrimination and prejudice that were in his way.

“Someone once asked me why I fight so hard for a country that wrote me off,” Dryden said. “At first I wanted to give them the cliché answer about the country giving me opportunities and providing for me, but I then thought about why the country really is great. I think America’s government is the best in history. There are checks and balances and America adapts and changes for the better. America is all about diversity. We do have bumps in the road, but we keep changing and moving forward. America is dynamic. Once upon a time, neither women nor blacks could vote or run for president and now they can do both. America will continue to change for the better.”

“Dryden kept the crowd attentive and laughing while at the same time getting his point across well and respecting everyone’s time,” said Gunnery Sgt. Pamela A. Davis, the Marine Corps Base equal opportunity advisor. “He is awesome at giving speeches. He remembers so many details from so long ago that paint a great picture of what it was like. He was very informative and entertaining.”

Dryden respects the fact that there is a Black History Month, and he wants everyone to remember how much African Americans have affected the rich history of the U.S.

“I think it’s important for everyone to know that blacks have been contributing to U.S. history through all its struggles,” Dryden said.

“We have been an integral part of American existence since the beginning.”

Dryden toured several bases during his stay on Okinawa.

Ellie