PDA

View Full Version : Marine Rangers?

ElDiablo
03-10-08, 08:42 AM
My dad recently recieved a Sgt. Grit Catalog, and in it were hat pins/patches. One of them said Marine Rangers, and I asked my dad about it. He has never heard of them. Any one here have? The patch is below.

file:///Users/student/Desktop/P149-M_th.jpgfile:///Users/student/Desktop/P149-M_th.jpg

yellowwing
03-10-08, 10:51 AM
Its an Old Corps thng I do believe. As in, "I wanna be a Recon Ranger, I want to live the life of danger..."

thewookie
03-10-08, 11:10 AM
Not sure if there was a unit but it could refer to Marines that went to Ranger school. Some guys who have been, and have graduated wear the "Ranger tab" but it's always hidden under the pocket flap of BDU's or whatever you call cammies these days. This might be some fancy thing for a coat or sea bag?

Finger
03-10-08, 11:33 AM
No such Unit. Many Marines, like myself, got to attend the Army Ranger School. We earned the Ranger Tab, but we don't wear patches.

I always thought the "Recon Ranger" chant was made so it would ryme, and it took the place of the "Airborne Ranger" in the Army version of the same chant.

S/F
Finger

ElDiablo
03-10-08, 11:46 AM
It was a patch for a baseball cap. And I tried googling it and there was some small thing about 3rd Battalion Marine Rangers.

Jbthomp
03-10-08, 12:56 PM
I think I remember seeing a special on the history channel a while back about the Marine Rangers. I might be horribly mistaken, but I think it was about the first guerrilla force during WWII.

Finger
03-10-08, 01:00 PM
Those were Marine Raiders.

Jbthomp
03-10-08, 01:04 PM
See, I was mistaken.

But only by a few letters, so it wasn't a horrible mistake.

Finger
03-10-08, 01:08 PM
No it wasn't a bad mistake. The Marine Raider history is short but very interesting. Worth reading about.

FistFu68
03-10-08, 03:33 PM
:evilgrin: USMC RAIDERS WERE THE FATHER OF FORCE RECON @ ALSO PERFECTED MANY OF THE SUB.INSERTS THE "U.D.T.AND OR SEALS" USE TOO THIS DAY :usmc: :iwo:

Finger
03-10-08, 03:46 PM
Our real Grand Pappys were the Amphib Recon Marines of WW2 and Korea. These old guys did some pretty amazing things and never really got a lotta ink.

http://www.forcerecon.com/amphibrecondiary.html

FistFu68
03-10-08, 04:28 PM
:usmc: SEMPER~FI~THAT :usmc:

KevinR90
03-13-08, 08:18 AM
Well there's MARSOC....... i was just messing around one day and found out about the Marine Corps' spec ops unit. Sorry for it being from wikipedia but that's where i found it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Forces_Special_Operatio ns_Command

I hadn't even known the Marines had spec ops. I though it was just Force Recon.