PDA

View Full Version : Gearing up for battle, with help

thedrifter
03-09-08, 10:21 AM
Gearing up for battle, with help
Fundraiser planned to buy extra equipment for local Marine's unit heading to Iraq

By DENNIS YUSKO, Staff writer

First published: Sunday, March 9, 2008

AMSTERDAM -- An Albany Academy graduate and Marine Corps commander will raise money to specially equip his 48-member platoon heading to Iraq when he visits his family for Easter later this month.

2nd Lt. Cory Colistra, his twin brother, James, and their father, Gerry, recently organized a fundraiser in Amsterdam to raise money for additional "mission-essential" equipment such as cameras, gloves and special flak jackets for the four dozen men in his platoon of Kilo Company of the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines.

The infantry unit leaves for a dangerous part of Iraq in April, and the Marine Corps has provided it with all the necessary gear, Cory Colistra said from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina, where he's training for the seven-month tour. But the unit could use some additional specialized equipment to assist it in its mission, he said.

"You have to take care of your Marines," Cory Colistra said. "Other platoon commanders are doing the same type of stuff."

Special military gear can be ordered from magazines and military shops, but it can get costly.

Cory Colistra wants Marines in his platoon, regardless of their financial status, to have navigation systems, digital cameras and certain protective gear when they enter the war zone, his brother said. The additional resources, including flak jackets with extra pockets, will help the unit in its "police work," Cory Colistra said.

The 24-year-old brothers hail from a tightly knit and supportive family from Amsterdam who sacrificed a lot so the boys and their older brother Joshua could attend Albany Academy.

Cory Colistra can afford personalized gear. But the football standout at Albany Academy and the U.S Naval Academy isn't just looking out for himself, his brother said.

"He told me, I don't want things unless my men can have it," said James Colistra, who lives in Albany and is between advertising-marketing jobs.

James Colistra is the former president of Albany Academy's senior class. He recently planned an Italian buffet at La Cucina in Amsterdam on March 22. Money raised from the $30-a-head event will go toward military gear.

James Colistra hopes to raise $1,000 from the food, and is considering holding a pub crawl in April to raise additional funds for his brother's battalion.

At the Naval Academy, Cory Colistra majored in ocean engineering and played defensive back on the varsity football team that was awarded three consecutive Commander-in-Chief Trophies on the White House lawn. He graduated in 2006 and chose Marine Corps over Navy service.

"I chose the Marines because it was just my personality," Cory Colistra said. "Marines are very committed, and basically will do anything you ask or direct them to do."

Cory Colistra's professionalism and willingness to help all the members of his unit has earned him the respect and gratitude of his fellow Marines, which is crucial in battle, he said.

"You have to know your tactics, techniques and procedures, and you have to be good at what you do," Cory Colistra said.

His achievements have made his brother and parents proud.

"That's just the way Cory is: not selfish," James Colistra said. Yusko can be reached at 454-5353 or by e-mail at dyusko@timesunion.com.

Saddle up

WHAT: Fundraiser to buy specialized equipment for deploying Marines

WHO: The Colistra family for Kilo Company of the 3rd Battalion, 6th Marines

WHEN: Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, March 22

WHERE: La Cucina, 1 Port Jackson Square, Amsterdam

COST: $30

INFORMATION: http:// corycolistra.cfsites.org

Source: James Colistra

Ellie