PDA

View Full Version : Marines get surprise welcome

thedrifter
03-09-08, 09:38 AM
Marines get surprise welcome
Hundreds gather to greet 2 returning area servicemen

March 9, 2008
By Eva McKendrick emckendrick@scn1.com

Cpl. Daniel J. Montgomery of Naperville and Lance Cpl. Christopher Tovar of Downers Grove missed Thanksgiving, birthdays, Christmas and Valentine's Day over the past seven months while they were fighting in Iraq. On Saturday, the two Marines had their own holiday to celebrate.

Montgomery and Tovar flew into Midway Airport together, where the Marines were received with a hero's welcome. Between celebrations at Midway, Wannemaker's in Downers Grove and Heritage Harley Davidson in Lisle, an estimated 300 people showed up to greet the two, all of which was a complete surprise to Montgomery, 24, and Tovar, 20.

"I just expected to have a simple dinner at home," Tovar said during the welcome home surprise party at Heritage Harley Davidson.

Downers Grove Mayor Ron Sandack greeted the Marines at Wannemaker's, 1940 Ogden Ave., and Naperville Mayor George Pradel gave them a welcome-home speech, where he mentioned that his own grandson in the Marine Corps is expected to return home in four months.

"Let's have a great time and celebrate!" Pradel said.

The crowd did just that. Family, friends, VFW, Patriot Guard and USO came out to the event for a celebratory dinner. The Marines were welcomed with hundreds of hugs, handshakes, pats on the back and were given complimentary lottery tickets at the party.

"I'm overwhelmed," Montgomery said. "This is all a surprise."

Though Montgomery and Tovar had never met until Saturday's plane ride, their mothers, Denise Montgomery and Le Ellyn Mendez-Tovar found out their sons were coming home on the same day and planned the joint party with the help of Donna Morsovillo, who has helped coordinate two other military homecomings in the area.

"I just can't say enough thank yous to everybody," Mendez-Tovar said.

Ellie