View Full Version : Bar owners: Baltimore cops target smokers for loitering

thedrifter
03-08-08, 01:05 PM
Stephen Janis, The Examiner <br />
2008-03-07 08:00:00.0 <br />
<br />
BALTIMORE - <br />
<br />
Banished smokers taking nicotine breaks outside bars in one of Baltimore City’s trendy neighborhoods are being told to move or...

DWG
03-08-08, 01:13 PM
So Maryland is now so crime free they have to go after smokers? Is this the only crime left in Baltimore?

Nanny state BS!:thumbdown

FistFu68
03-08-08, 04:33 PM
:evilgrin: IF B-MORE WAS ANY BIGGER THEY'ED HAVE TOO NUKE THE CESS POOL:evilgrin:

jcwilkins
03-08-08, 05:06 PM
The reason is very simple. The police dept. gets kick backs from the prostitutes and dealers and they don't get anything from the smokers or bar owners... Just another example of a corrupt police force.

gutinstinct
03-08-08, 05:13 PM
The reason is very simple. The police dept. gets kick backs from the prostitutes and dealers and they don't get anything from the smokers or bar owners... Just another example of a corrupt police force. Do you no this as a fact ?

DWG
03-09-08, 12:05 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="97%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=message>From Demolition Man; a view of the future!<!-- START MESSAGE --><WMFILTERED>

Edgar Friendly (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001459/): (Dennis Leary) You see, according to Cocteau's plan I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think; I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech and freedom of choice. I'm the kind of guy likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder - "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecued ribs with the side order of gravy fries?" I WANT high cholesterol. I wanna eat bacon and butter and BUCKETS of cheese, okay? I want to smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section. I want to run through the streets naked with green Jell-o all over my body reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly might feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener".

My thoughts exactly!:thumbup:

</WMFILTERED>
<!-- END MESSAGE -->
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DWG
03-09-08, 12:07 PM
BTW; Lep, do I have to worry about you cuffing me next time I drive through Merry-Land for smoking?:scared: :(

jcwilkins
03-10-08, 12:08 AM
No, just my opinion...

In thedrifter's article: Ray said drug addicts, prostitutes and even dealers can be seen prowling the area around his store on the main drag in Hampden.

With this kind of activity going on, I have a hard time believing that these guys have nothing better to do than harass bar patrons for smoking outside.

DWG
03-10-08, 06:18 AM
They were told they need to move 150 feet away or they will be fined first and arrested the second time.”

Druggies and hookers aren't revenue generators like smokers! Just more nanny gov. trying to screw a few more bucks out of law abiding citizens! I wonder if you march up and down the street while puffing away if you are not considered to be loitering?:mad:

gutinstinct
03-10-08, 03:39 PM
No, just my opinion...

In thedrifter's article: Ray said drug addicts, prostitutes and even dealers can be seen prowling the area around his store on the main drag in Hampden.

With this kind of activity going on, I have a hard time believing that these guys have nothing better to do than harass bar patrons for smoking outside.jcwilkins: your entitled to your opinion. I even respect it, except for your statement that the department is corrupt. Thats a very strong accusation. Thats all I got to say about it.

Big Jim
03-10-08, 03:54 PM
The reason is very simple. The police dept. gets kick backs from the prostitutes and dealers and they don't get anything from the smokers or bar owners... Just another example of a corrupt police force.

This is a VERY strong accusation...here in Ohio, I train with and personnally know ALOT of peace officers, county sheriffs and even state highway patrol. I've spent only about 6 months of my life in Maryland outside Baltimore at Aberdeen Proving Ground in late 1984 and can't speak intelligently or accurately about its police forces, but here in Ohio, I can legitimately tell you that police corruption DOES NOT exist. If it's the laws that seem unfair, blame them and not the people enforcing the laws. Just my opinion...

Merc6432
03-10-08, 06:37 PM
This is a VERY strong accusation...here in Ohio, I train with and personnally know ALOT of peace officers, county sheriffs and even state highway patrol. I've spent only about 6 months of my life in Maryland outside Baltimore at Aberdeen Proving Ground in late 1984 and can't speak intelligently or accurately about its police forces, but here in Ohio, I can legitimately tell you that police corruption DOES NOT exist. If it's the laws that seem unfair, blame them and not the people enforcing the laws. Just my opinion...

With all do respect Sgt. but I believe you may be wrong in this case. I can list off a number of reports and incidents here in ohio dating all the way back to 1998 of corrupt officers who have violated their oaths to protect and serve. Regardless of the criminal/victim in question or the crime committed these officers violated the very laws they swore to uphold I have listed their links below.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E4D61F38F931A15752C0A96E9582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=7937449

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6412639&nav=menu91_1_1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/11/AR2007091102102.html

DWG
03-10-08, 07:10 PM
I don't think corruption is involved so much as the beat cops being told what to enforce by the "nanny bosses." It's like down here when they decide they are going to "crack down on red light runners." You mean it isn't illegal ALL the time? Baltimore officials have decided they don't like smoking and they are going to give smokers a hard time. As long as the hookers and dopers ain't smoking, they're cool!

jcwilkins
03-10-08, 10:58 PM
Ok, I'll admit that my statement was a bit critical and opinionated. I grew up in NJ, and spent most of my youth being harassed by the local police mostly for the actions of my brother. (he had a habit of stiring thing up back in those days.) Since then, I've had many friends that worked for various law enforcement agencies and they would talk about fellow officers that got caught doing things that didn't exactly bring honor to the uniform. My point is, abuse of police powers is an issue in many dept's and all it does is build animosity towards the police.

To be frank, DWG's observation is probably closer to the truth.

I don't think corruption is involved so much as the beat cops being told what to enforce by the "nanny bosses." It's like down here when they decide they are going to "crack down on red light runners." You mean it isn't illegal ALL the time? Baltimore officials have decided they don't like smoking and they are going to give smokers a hard time. As long as the hookers and dopers ain't smoking, they're cool!

Semper Fi!

Big Jim
03-11-08, 01:56 AM
With all do respect Sgt. but I believe you may be wrong in this case. I can list off a number of reports and incidents here in ohio dating all the way back to 1998 of corrupt officers who have violated their oaths to protect and serve. Regardless of the criminal/victim in question or the crime committed these officers violated the very laws they swore to uphold I have listed their links below.

I THINK YOU MEAN, "DUE," DON'T YOU...??

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9406E4D61F38F931A15752C0A96E9582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

http://www.wtol.com/Global/story.asp?S=7937449

http://www.wtvm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6412639&nav=menu91_1_1

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/11/AR2007091102102.html

Matthew, you've proved my point better than I ever could!! Why do you think you have this information? They were caught, my friend!! Of course, every law enforcement agency is going to have that questionable aspect wthin their ranks, such is the necessity for internal investigations and the Ohio Revised Code! I've worked in Corrections for over 17 years now with the majority of Ohio's LE Agencies and they ALL do a very good job at protecting and serving the public, my friend. The system works and polices for itself, which is why these dirty cops were caught.

The subject of conversation at hand was the CURRENT accusations and antagonism of police corruption in Baltimore and my comparison was police corruption DOES NOT exist in Ohio. YOUR examples above, are the proof....thank you, by the way...

Phantom Blooper
03-11-08, 03:34 AM
Talking about a whole police force or sheriffs department in any town or municipality being corrupt because a few officers... is kin to what people are saying today of our Marine Corps being corrupt because of a few bad murderers and baby killers....this simply is not true.

The departments may need revamping and weeding out....but to lump ALL law enforcement and military into the same category is fruitless.

Corruption and taking bribes has been going on for years and not just in the law enforcement community. The police have been doing the best possible job with what they have to work with....scum and career criminals. To say a few bad apples spoils the rest is not always the case.And not ALL police and law enforcement are corrupt. If you obey the law...regardless of how stupid you have no to very little problems.

To rid the world of corruption you have to have priorities in place....to bust prostitutes in the red light district in mass this week and then leave them alone next week, unless flaunting the wears of the trade and begging to get busted and are not today is because the cops are a few blocks over busting the crack heads and dealers. A never ending thankless job.

The mindset that all cops and law enforcement are pigs and corrupt is wrong. When they save a life,comfort a lost child child,deliver a baby they are the same cops that are hero's. If they go out of the way to abuse an individual and enjoy it sadistically then they should be dealt with like any other member of society...to the full extent of the law.

If a law was enacted and the patrons of the bar knew that they would not be able to smoke and joke on the street in front of the bar then they should have moved on. That law did not happen overnight without forewarning.

If a cop tells you to do something they may not themselves fully agree with...but the job they are doing is enforcement.....regardless of personal beliefs.

If the CIC tells Marines to do something that they don't fully agree with but do it to the best ability they can muster and follow the lawful orders is because thats what the job is all about and that is what they are paid to do.And we as Marines say everyday...let us just do our job.

The cop on the beat is doing what he was told to do...by the mayor and city hall to the commissioner. If the bar owner wants to complain he should take it to city hall and leave the beat cop to do his/her job. In the same token the law enforcement street patrol does not need to use fire hydrant force when only a few drops of H2O is needed to snub out the flame.:evilgrin:

Big Jim
03-11-08, 10:51 AM
Talking about a whole police force or sheriffs department in any town or municipality being corrupt because a few officers... is kin to what people are saying today of our Marine Corps being corrupt because of a few bad murderers and baby killers....this simply is not true.

The departments may need revamping and weeding out....but to lump ALL law enforcement and military into the same category is fruitless.

Corruption and taking bribes has been going on for years and not just in the law enforcement community. The police have been doing the best possible job with what they have to work with....scum and career criminals. To say a few bad apples spoils the rest is not always the case.And not ALL police and law enforcement are corrupt. If you obey the law...regardless of how stupid you have no to very little problems.

To rid the world of corruption you have to have priorities in place....to bust prostitutes in the red light district in mass this week and then leave them alone next week, unless flaunting the wears of the trade and begging to get busted and are not today is because the cops are a few blocks over busting the crack heads and dealers. A never ending thankless job.

The mindset that all cops and law enforcement are pigs and corrupt is wrong. When they save a life,comfort a lost child child,deliver a baby they are the same cops that are hero's. If they go out of the way to abuse an individual and enjoy it sadistically then they should be dealt with like any other member of society...to the full extent of the law.

If a law was enacted and the patrons of the bar knew that they would not be able to smoke and joke on the street in front of the bar then they should have moved on. That law did not happen overnight without forewarning.

If a cop tells you to do something they may not themselves fully agree with...but the job they are doing is enforcement.....regardless of personal beliefs.

If the CIC tells Marines to do something that they don't fully agree with but do it to the best ability they can muster and follow the lawful orders is because thats what the job is all about and that is what they are paid to do.And we as Marines say everyday...let us just do our job.

The cop on the beat is doing what he was told to do...by the mayor and city hall to the commissioner. If the bar owner wants to complain he should take it to city hall and leave the beat cop to do his/her job. In the same token the law enforcement street patrol does not need to use fire hydrant force when only a few drops of H2O is needed to snub out the flame.:evilgrin:

Well said, Chuck...my sentiments EXACTLY...!!!

Finger
03-11-08, 11:20 AM
Some folks just don't know how it all works. I am a retired cop and have seen the whole routine at times. If you have a City Council that wants law enforced a certain way, that is what you get. Some...

gutinstinct
03-11-08, 03:17 PM
Thanks brothers. This one is for you guys. Be safe. :beer:

michaeleckard
03-11-08, 05:37 PM
the biggest problem in not weather they are enforcing the loitering law. its the fact that the liberals in this country or tree huggers want take away or freedoms . I mean allot of drinkers smoke. but it seams as though non smokers have more rights these days. I'm glad i quit years ago. first they raised taxes on cigarettes so high. They thought they would get people to
quit. now here in Pennsylvania or liberal governor want to ban smoking in the whole state. so its the smoking law that's the cause of all this crap.

Phantom Blooper
03-11-08, 05:46 PM
We can compare apples to oranges to the end of time. And I will agree that there are too many frivolous laws on the books. This is not a matter of smokers and non smokers....that is a whole different issue. The issue is obeying the LAW.

If they refuse to obey the law and standing out in front of a bar that is adding fuel to the fire. They already knew that they couldn't smoke out in front of the establishment. It is an act of defiance and dare and paramount to the tree hugger you speak of...except they were not chained until after the cops did the job they were paid for!:beer:

michaeleckard
03-11-08, 09:08 PM
it's fine to follow orders when you're in the corps.
it's another thing when you're a civilian you have a choice to agree
with it or not. to work to repeal the unconstitutional law that should never
been on the books.

Phantom Blooper
03-12-08, 04:01 AM
If they want to repeal the law....go through the proper channels and repeal the law. As stated in my statement above.... <br />
<br />
The way to repeal the law is by following the law. <br />
<br />
Unless you live...

PatriotGirl422
03-12-08, 08:46 AM
I think this is just another example of the loony left Baltimore government picking and choosing what morals/laws it wants to enforce. Prostitution: people have a right to have "sexual freedom". Drugs: People can't help their addictions. Gangs: People can't help that they've been shut off from society, a gang is the only place where they feel accepted. Smokers: Smoking is bad for the environment, get rid of the smokers!

Dammit this makes me upset to be living in Baltimore.

DWG
03-12-08, 09:18 AM
Dammit this makes me upset to be living in Baltimore.

I've been to Baltimore and THIS is the only thing that upsets you with that place?:confused: The last time I was there, I swore it WAS the last time I would be there!