PDA

View Full Version : Marines donate blood for wounded service members

thedrifter
03-08-08, 07:25 AM
Marines donate blood for wounded service members
Mr. Joseph R. Chenelly

MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.(Mar. 8, 2008) -- Lance Cpl. Alex Weiss and Sgt. Alfonso Covarrubaiz spend most of their waking hours serving battle scathed Marines, so a spending their lunchtime Tuesday getting stuck in the arm for the wounded’s sake was no big deal. But to those downrange in need of blood transfusions, the blood drive here is a huge deal.

Dozens of Marines, sailors and civilians filed into Little Hall and gave of a pint to the Armed Forces Blood Program, the Defense Department’s official blood bank.

Weiss and Covarrubaiz work for the Marine Corps’ Wounded Warrior Regiment. Taking a couple of hours from their daily duties of taking care of administrative needs for Marines recovering from wounds and injuries, they donated blood that will likely be used for active duty service members.

The blood needs of America’s fighting forces are met by the Armed Services Blood Program, whose practices are designed to maintain self-sufficiency in blood collection and blood product manufacturing for the purpose of operational security. The blood program organization collects, processes and distributes blood and blood products for the Department of Defense. Blood collected is used in military hospitals and sent to locations worldwide to save the lives of those wounded in action.

‘‘I have donated blood four or five times before, but this is the first time I have donated through this program,” Weiss said. ‘‘I saw a poster in the barracks and decided I need to donate today. I am glad my blood will potentially help other Marines.”

Headquarters and Service Battalion’s commanding officer authorized a day off for Marines who donated in this drive. But Covarrubaiz and Weiss said they will donate that day back to the Wounded Warriors by not taking it.

"We love what we do and who we are doing it for," Covarrubaiz said while waiting to be stuck. ‘‘We don’t need as reward for doing what it right. I am fortunate to be healthy enough to donate blood, so doing so is the least I can do.”

Numerous civilians donated Tuesday, as well. Last October, a Department of Defense policy was signed, allowing civilians to donate blood on military installations and at federal sites during a state of war or catastrophic event.

The program’s Web site, www.militaryblood.dod.mil, features information on how to join a ‘‘Life Force” team of donors, volunteers and supporters. Topics include blood facts, donor eligibility criteria, donor center locations, and more.

Ellie