PDA

View Full Version : Conway greets Corps’ newest embassy security guards

thedrifter
03-08-08, 06:43 AM
MARINE CORPS BASE QUANTICO, Va.-- Just a week after Marines defended the American Embassy in Belgrade, Serbia, from violent protesters, the Corps puts its stamp of approval Friday on 12 new deck commanders and 62 new watch-standers as the Marine Corps Embassy Security Command’s class 2-08 graduated.

Formerly known as Marine Security Guard Battalion, the command’s honorary speaker was Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. James T. Conway. The commandant reminisced on his days as a battalion commander and discussed his great pleasure in the job the young Marines are doing today.

‘‘I didn’t always have confidence in our young Marines,” Conway said. ‘‘There was a time when I actually thought that this generation didn’t have what it took to lead the legacy of Marines; I was dead wrong.

Conway light-heartedly told stories in which he called the younger generation the ‘‘joystick” generation. He said there is not enough physical activities or discipline in the younger generation. Yet, as he continued his speech, he began expressing the extreme amounts of confidence he has built while serving with this younger generation in battle.

‘‘The amount of courage these Marines displayed was enough to bring tears to my eyes,” Conway said.

The commandant gave the graduates advice on succeeding in their new tour of duty. He especially wanted them to remember to know their orders, because they are very important.

Conway then gave an example. While serving as the executive officer on the USS Kitty Hawk, a corporal refused to fire a shot into the water. The corporal knew his orders, not to fire unless ordered by the commanding officer or executive officer. After being repeatedly told to fire a shot into the water and refusing, they ordered Conway and the commanding officer to the ship’s bridge. The captain of the ship looked up the order and found the corporal was correct in not firing his weapon. When the corporal apologized for embarrassing the commanding officer, the commanding officer replied, ‘‘That’s exactly what I would have wanted you to do in that situation.”

The commandant reminded the graduates that everything they do will reflect on the Marine Corps. These graduates will be dispersed all over the world, and they will be observed by many different cultures.

His final advice to the graduates was to continue to be careful, and remember that this nation is at war. Conway stressed the importance of coming back from their tour of duty safe so they can continue the fight when they return to their units.

‘‘There is nothing more that a terrorist wants than to kill a United States Marine,” Conway grimly reminded the graduates.

Conway wanted the graduates and all the Marines present to remember what they are fighting for. The commandant reminded all Marines to hold their heads up high and be proud that they have defended their country, when the country needed it most.