PDA

View Full Version : NAVAL ACADEMY PREP SCHOOL vs. BOOTCAMP

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 08:59 PM
:( I need some advice right now..from anyone..and everyone..

So, I Depped in June 6th 07' during my junior year of high school..and since..I have made the plan of going to Bootcamp as a 92day reservist...and after graduation..going to college..and applying for the PLC...that way...I could do my split two 6 week sessions at OCS...therefore, I would be doing my first 6 weeks of OCS in the summer of 09'..and my other 6 weeks the summer after that..After Finishing my senior year of College..and receiving my Commission I would be going off to TBS...and so forth..

WELL, heres where I'd Like to get everyones Opinions and advice...I'm the Senior Poolee and the GUIDE and my RSS..I love the people at my RSS..I formed a Bond with them..and its just a really tough decision for me right now..

During the Fall/Winter...I applied to the U.S Naval Academy...
I received the acceptance letter to the Naval Academy Prep School today..(which is also verrrrryyyy hard to get into)...

and now....I have to choose...Bootcamp as a 92day reservist...(taste the Enlisted side)..do the PLC right away...and Become an officer in 4 years...
or
get Dropped from the DEP (after 9 months of being in the DEP)...go to NAPS (Naval Academy Prep School)..for 9 months..and then go to the ACADEMY (Annapolis)...for 4 years....and become an officer...5 years from now...

THIS IS THE HARDEST DECISION OF MY LIFE!!..I'd really like to get some advice..or just tell me what you think...Im really stressing out here..I had a Plan since the moment that I Depped in...and Now...I got accepted to the NAPS..and well...CHIT!..i have no idea what im going to do..

My heart is telling me to go to BOOT...and then go Officer...Its not telling me to go to ANNAPOLIS....

Isrowei
03-07-08, 09:07 PM
*shrug*

If your heart is not telling you to go to Annapolis... what's the problem?

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 09:11 PM
*shrug*

If your heart is not telling you to go to Annapolis... what's the problem?

I got sooo much help from teachers, and Counselors and everyone at school with my application..My Counselor really wants me to go to Annapolis...because it will be the best decision in the LONG RUN...(if that made any sense)..
Its just hard for me to say NO to them..after soo much that they've done for me...Ive already told my counselor..that i dont wanna go there..i just dont feel it..But then end up making me feel like CHIT...after they say...That I would make a huugeeee Mistake if I let this 1 in a lifetime Opportunity....

Soooo UGHhhhhhhhhh!!!!....im stressed out..

Isrowei
03-07-08, 09:21 PM
Well... it is a once in a life-time opportunity. So are a lot of things.

In the end, the decision is yours. Make it based on what you would rather do. No one can live your life for you.

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 09:36 PM
Well... it is a once in a life-time opportunity. So are a lot of things.

In the end, the decision is yours. Make it based on what you would rather do. No one can live your life for you.

Thank You Lt...you are absolutely right...You Made me feel better with those words....

HurricaneRJ
03-07-08, 09:42 PM
If I could do it all over again, I would have busted my ass and went into the Naval Academy. But it's easy for me to look back and see what I would have done different. If I was given the chance, I would go.

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 09:47 PM
If I could do it all over again, I would have busted my ass and went into the Naval Academy. But it's easy for me to look back and see what I would have done different. If I was given the chance, I would go.

Yeah...thats something I think about aswell..what if I end up regretting not going to the Naval Academy....so its hard..i really have to think lONGGG and Hard about this one.

Wyoming
03-07-08, 09:51 PM
Nancy, you and I have talked about this before.

It has been your dream to get into the Academy.

To be a ring knocker.

My Gawd Child, what was your question?

Jeez, get your butt into the Academy.

Remember where you are from. Remember what I have seen you write before. You worked your asre off, now go.

Just make sure you wear a Marine uniform.:D

Oh yeah, the folks at your RSS! Sheeit, they have ALL listened to your female banter about the USNA. THEY are all behind you, ALL of them.

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 09:59 PM
Nancy, you and I have talked about this before.

It has been your dream to get into the Academy.

To be a ring knocker.

My Gawd Child, what was your question?

Jeez, get your butt into the Academy.

Remember where you are from. Remember what I have seen you write before. You worked your asre off, now go.

Just make sure you wear a Marine uniform.:D

Oh yeah, the folks at your RSS! Sheeit, they have ALL listened to your female banter about the USNA. THEY are all behind you, ALL of them.

THere was a Point in time..where I thought I really wanted to Go to the ACADEMy...
but then realized that I wasnt really happy about going over there anymore...

I guess I worked my asss off to get in...because i didn't want to let my Counselor down..I've always had this thing..where i need to Please others...(kinda dumb I know)....
but thats just how I am...
seeing My counselors face when she said:
"Nancy...You're very smart, and you know that the Academy will be the best choice for you. You dont have to worry about Money, or anything and it will be one of the best choices you've ever made with your life. It would be a Hugggeee Mistake if you let this Once in a Lifetime Chance go..."

Seee..I mean..that gets to me..and it makes me wanna say.."Yes MA'AM"... and just go for it...But then It makes me all sad..and bummed out to think that I have been in the DEP for 9 months...and then i get dropped 3 months before i was SUppose to go to Bootcamp....

Wyoming
03-07-08, 10:16 PM
i am going to leave this post like this -

You received your acceptance letter TODAY.

Sit back, DO nothing you may regret.

For once, think of yourself.

Your whole life is in front of you.

RockSteady85
03-07-08, 10:16 PM
You have to do what your heart says, not what other people tell you would be "best" to do. You don't want to be looking back at things and regretting a decision because you didn't follow what you wanted. I had that happen when I initially went to join the Corps because I was offered a contract to model, but I wanted in on the military more, so I chose that despite people telling me I was nuts. You have to life your life for you, not others. Good luck, girl! :-)

Wyoming
03-07-08, 10:18 PM
Methinks me and RockSteady were posting at the same time and said the same thing.

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 10:21 PM
I understand what you are saying...
i really appreciate it the advice you guys are giving me...Its helping me out a lot...Its still veryyy hard..believe me...but I'll make my decision by next week..well i have to make it by next week...
I want to follow my heart...and thats going to Boot..and then becoming an officer (like my original plan was to do)...
Besides..I'll wear the TITLE of MARINE whichever way i go......

Wyoming
03-07-08, 10:24 PM
Sheeit!!

HurricaneRJ
03-07-08, 10:38 PM
My brother was in a similar situation, he wanted to be Army Infantry so bad, he wanted to get to the fight. He also wanted to be an officer as well and my parents pushed and pushed and pushed him to goto school.
Well he went to school, joined the GA National Guard and now he regrets it. He tells me everyday, "man I wish I went active duty." Now he has to wait till his contract ends with the NG before he can switch. So now he is stuck, his unit was slated to go to Afghanistan, but they are being replaced by a Marine unit instead.

So, everything he really wanted, won't he can't get. All because he let my parents do the choosing for him. He is kicking himself everyday, while all of his buddies are out there he is at home going to school.

Don't make that mistake, my parents wanted me to go to school first and become an officer. I did 1 semester at DeVry University. Didn't like it, it just kept me from getting my title. Now that I am a Marine, my parents and my friends are still proud of me. They don't look at me differently because I'm enlisted or an officer. I don't care if you end up in the Navy. Nancy you will always be my friend, and I'll back up any decision you make, because we all know how determined you are.

I know this is a big decision, but like everyone else said, follow your heart. I did by joining the Marines and doing Infantry, and I'm not regretting any of it, good or bad.

DEAVILA
03-07-08, 10:53 PM
WOW....Well your brother must be really kicking his Butt because he followed what his parents wanted him to do..and now he regrets it...i dont want to end up that way either...I've been loving the Enlisted side...so far...and im not even a Marine yet....

and if I end up choosing the Academy because...my counselor..teachers..and family are telling me that it would be the best thing i can do...and I end up going..and hating it...then well..there goes the 9 months that i worked my asss off as a Poolee...and I dont wanna be at the Academy for those 4 years..saying..F***!...i should have gone to Boot!!...

Thank you Raymon...you are one amazing friend..and I know I can count on you for anything....

crazymjb
03-07-08, 11:00 PM
First off, there is absolutly no way to do the reserves, than PLC, and the Academy?

Second, you obviously worked your ass off to get into Anapolis, I mean, it's Anapolis. I'd assume some part of you wants to go there.

You have been graced with the opportunity to recieve one of the best educations in the world, at no cost to you, which will set you up to be an officer of Marines. I think the "long run" definatly comes into play in this situation. Nobody is saying it is be a Marine or not be a Marine, and as you said you had a dream to be an officer. Anapolis would probably be the best training in leadership and preparation in achieving that goal.

If it were any other school, Harvard, Yale, Oxford... I would say follow your orignal plan. However, being accepted to Anapolis is something that is really special.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

Mike

futuremarine129
03-07-08, 11:06 PM
It's what you want, remember that, not what your counselor wants. What always has helped me through hard decisions is just to take a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and write out the positives of each. Whichever has more positives is the way you might want to sway. Now I just want to let you know that I haven't exactly tried this out on something like Annapolis but you might as well give it a shot.

crazymjb
03-07-08, 11:12 PM
If your goal is eventually to become an officer, it would seem logical to me that the reserves and a civilian/state college would not prepare you as well as you could be prepared in the Naval Academy. You could be an excellent officer either way, or a poor one for that matter, but from the "crunched numbers" standpoint, I see Anapolis as the "better" preparatory route.

Mike

davblay
03-07-08, 11:30 PM
Deav, Deav........I can't believe my eyes, reading what you said! You are one of, if not the, most determined gal I know! You made a decision months ago, with an alternative plan. Now reality has hit you! Didn't you think that there was even a slight chance that you'd be accepted into the Acadamy? Did you not consider the possibility that you could actually have a chance to go? Ok, I am confused....from your postings over the past few months, I have been lead to believe that you wanted this appointment!

Lt Isrowie can better tell you the benefits of attending the Acadamy and taking that route to become an officer in the Corps better than any of us, I would never doubt that for one moment! His advice is simple and direct and to the point! I agree with him completely.

But....lets get outside the box for a moment........lets go forward in time to say..... 25 years from now. You Attended the Acadamy, you put in your 20 years in the Corps, retired as a Colonel, and you are what 43-44 yers old? You look to begin another Career, with the Acadamy, plus the 20+ years in the Corps, on your resume', you nail down a posttion with a fortune 500 company and work for another 20 some odd years and retire again with a comfortable retirement. The lets try this one on for size....we enlist as a enlisted Marine, do the 92 day thing, go to PLC, OCS or whatever, and spend 20 years in the Corps as an Officer and, whatever time as an enlisted, retire as a Lt Colonel. You are now ...what 40-41 years old? You compete with the person with the above resume"..........who gets hired? Or in five years will you be flying that jet you want to fly, Would an Acadamy graduate have preference in the selection to becoming a pilot? Deav.....there are so many varibles here. You need to think about why you applied to the Acadamy in the first place! If your goal is to become an Officer in the Corps, then either way is ok. But why not make the best out of it and get your education at the same time?

Now I predict in 5 years you will be an officer, hopefully in the Corps. But travel the road that takes you to the goal with the best rewards, not the path of least resistance! Sometimes the smoother road has hidden potholes and causes flat tires....then you loose time changing the tire! Remember the turtle and the Rabbit? Up to now you've had a goal, now lets take those steps towards that goal the logical way! But do it for yourself, not me or anyone else!

My advise Deav.......think this thru very carefully, this is YOUR future after all, just remember that we have to live with our decisions we make! We can't go back in time to correct them! If we could...I would be a millionaire! Don't wake up one morning saying "I wish I had________"!

I, along with these other Marines, will support you in whatever you do! Please know that I have only your best interest in my heart!

Good luck,

Dave

yellowwing
03-08-08, 12:13 AM
Nancy, get your behind into the Academy!

poolarnold
03-08-08, 12:23 AM
well first of all....your guidance counselor will push you to go to the academy because that would be a huge bragging right for the school...(another dollar nother day mentallity) or atleast thats how it is where im from no genuine relationship between student an counselor but either way dont let her push you 1 way or the other she will always tell you go to school b/c its her job to get as many students to go to college as possible....think about that....

Isrowei
03-08-08, 06:07 AM
I suspect this question about enlisting vs the Academy has come up before and probably will again so I will jot down a few points to consider.

1) The Naval Academy does not guarantee you service in the Marine Corps upon graduation. You must compete for it (I had to as well, regardless of being prior enlisted Marine).

2) At some point in time, every midshipman hates being at USNA. Some mids hate the whole thing. I did, and I'm still here. You can do what you set your mind to. If it's not what you want, the Academy fosters an environment to weed out those who aren't committed to finishing. You're going to find things in the Marine Corps you don't like as well.

3) The Naval Academy is not like regular college. Period. If you want the "regular" college experience, go someplace else. Drinking in the dorm, partying, dating upperclassmen, and downloading music off the internet will all get you in trouble.

4) As a Marine, there is no difference where you come from. What you do and how you are treated will all depend on your actions and how you conduct yourself.

5) The benefits of the Academy are two-fold:
a) Starting out you will have a strong basis in leadership principles (not necessarilly experience). You will have a strong, mathematics heavy education that will stand you in good stead for any technical MOS. You will have all the right tools to be very successful. Whether you know how to use them or if you choose to use them correctly might be a different story.
b) After the military, the Academy alumni bond is very strong. As Cpl Blay mentioned, it opens opportunities. It carries respect in the highest circles(consider Sen McCain's credentials for president). It's not easy to think of your life at 45 when you're only 18. It DOES NOT mean you'll never have to worry about money or jobs or whatever your counsellor told you. That's based on your performance.

Wyoming
03-08-08, 07:53 AM
If a quickie poll were taken of this thread, Marines vs Poolees, it would be simple -

GO TO THE ACADEMY!!

quillhill
03-08-08, 12:15 PM
Generally I lurk these days but if no one minds (having worked in a college admissions office when I was a student I remember a few things that helped kids make these choices) I do have a question:

Poolee Deavila, have you visited the schools you are considering attending yet?

I remember when a classmate of mine was being recruited to play college football. He made his visits. His last two were to Annapolis and the University of Hawaii. He chose to attend the Naval Academy. His reason was the other schools couldn't offer what the Academy could.

Something I've observed while lurking here is that those who are committed to service in the military often find civilian colleges not to their liking for various reasons.

In any case, I would suggest visiting the schools you are interested in attending (both civilian and military) before making your choice, if that's possible.

FistFu68
03-08-08, 04:24 PM
:evilgrin: IF ANNAPOLIS WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE 1ST.LT.IT'S DAM GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU LILWORM.SOMETIMES YOU'RE "MIND" HAS TOO OVERIDE YOU'RE HEART.MIND OVER MATTER "GO NANCY GO":usmc: SEMPER~FI~THAT:iwo:

Ub3rmike
03-08-08, 04:37 PM
My Navy friend applied for Annapolis and didn't cut it, but he's still going the officer route through NROTC. That being said, since he is the captain of the water polo team, has good grades, and is more "triple qualified" than a lot of people at my school, that speaks pretty highly of you if you've got the path to USNA. And as previous posters have said, yes, making USNA doesn't guarantee you a commission as a Marine officer, you have to pursue Marine option.

If it's any help to your decision, during my reserve interview (I'm going 92 day/PLC split option too), I managed to get some extra time to speak with a pair of Captains and a Major to discuss plans, command philosophies, and the whole commissioned officer experience in the Marine Corps. They're all mustangs, and with that being said, they all told me something which I agree whole heartedly with. Just going to boot camp, going through the enlisted experience, or any other forms of "preparation" will not guarantee success at OCS, make you a "good" officer or garner the respect of your subordinates. The way others percieve you will truly come down to your ability and performance.

It is up to you, and if anything, it's a precursor to the difficult choices one has to make on their own as an officer. It's just easier for me because I want to earn the title now and not explain to everyone how I'm a "kind of Marine" after PLC Juniors in Freshman year. :D

SlingerDun
03-08-08, 05:33 PM
I wonder why someone would apply for the Navy Academy after 'devoting all this time to being a poolee'. Just to see if you would be accepted? like job hunting online? Well they decided to give you a go as a preppy, you gonna remain silent and let them disappear or say naaawww i was just kiddin hehe my counselor said i should write, just wanted to see if you all would write back.:nerd:

Counselor's can be handy at making students feel like chit and its often justified but this amused me..."you wouldn't have to worry about money or anything" LMHAO! wooooooooo. Oh lord for the security of a tenured little corner office.

Oh, and don't worry about your heart, look towards guts and gut. If its a gamble or something doesn't feel right thats where the most accurate intuition comes from. not the heart. The heart deceives and is easily boogered. If its good to go then you gotta gut it out. have the guts to proceed and finish, a gut check would be in order, sabes? lol

What does does Golden Boy say about all this? he's got guts and business sense --->Dave

rvillac2
03-09-08, 05:53 AM
NOW HEAR THIS: If you're ambition is to become an officer, then pursue college full steam ahead. Jeez, it's tiring to see these kids pursue the 92/PLC route. You are all PLANNING on reneging on your Reserve contract.

Graduating college as soon as possible leads to a wider variety of opportunities for success, fortune, and career fulfillment.

The USNA experience will focus you on developing as an officer candidate and earning a highly respectable degree. You will do this in the scheduled amount of time and will be discouraged from making self-destructive decisions.

I will bet large sums of money that you will not regret choosing USNA in 10 years.

JSchramm08
03-09-08, 04:01 PM
If I could throw my two cents into the pot, it sounds to me as if Poolee Deavila will not really regret either decision. To my ears, it sounds as if you are really moto about being a MARINE. As Lt. Isrowei (among others) said, you are not guaranteed to be a Marine officer upon graduation from Anapolis. However, if you really are that moto about being a Marine, then you will force yourself to earn that title, no matter what route you choose.

My opinion is keep true to your original plan: go through Recruit Training, and enter a civilian college to go through OCS/PLC. However, my question (as someone else already posted) is why you can't go through Recruit Training, as a reservist, and THEN go to Anapolis? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? (Sorry if this isn't possible. I am very naive about things related to becoming an officer - I apologize if I am far off base on this one).

Some food for thought. I chose to enter a civilian college before doing anything related to the Marines. I now have half a bachelors degree under my belt, and I could conceivably go through OCS and stick it out in school. However, I chose to drop school (for now) and enlist. I want, more than anything, to be a Marine. I would rather not wait another 2-3 years to become a Marine. I would rather go through the enlisted ranks, as a Marine, NOW. To me, earning that EGA is the most important thing; becoming a part of the family is the most important thing.

Not that there's anything wrong with the officer route, I just know it isn't for me.

Regardless of what you decide, make sure it is your decision, and good luck with it. I know you will do whatever your heart tells you to, in the end.

jetdoc
03-10-08, 03:21 PM
Nancy, I've been holding out and reading what most most of the other poster feel on the subject, and you KNOW HOW I FEEL, lol.

Isrowei has given you some great insight as the Lt. went there, that has to help.

I of course agree with Jack, BigAl and most others, get your butt on over to Annapolis....its in a great area, (as you know I live about 1/2 hr away), and a great institution.

The balls in your court....no need to stress, its just the biggest decision of your life up to this point.

jetdoc
03-10-08, 04:51 PM
****Posting at work and got distracted and the cursed 5 minute correction rule got me again, lol.*****

"what most most of the other poster".....
MEANT TO SAY:
"what most of the other posters".......

PatriotGirl422
03-11-08, 08:52 AM
I didn't read all the posts from everyone else because I don't have much time right now so forgive me if I'm repeating anything that was already said.
If your goal is to become an officer, then by all means go to the Academy! I know how you feel about wanting to ship to boot camp, because I used to feel guilty about letting recruiters down too (they really know how to make us women feel bad). You feel like you're obligated to ship and that you'll be letting them down after you've shared some kind of bond with them. But, what you're not looking at is the longrun. After you get home from boot camp, those poolees and recruiters aren't going to be there anymore. They'll really care less about what you're doing, because there will be new poolees to worry about. It's not to be mean or anything, but they're more interested in keeping you happy so that you'll ship and fulfill your contract. The point I'm making is that if you really want to be an officer, you couldn't ask for anything better than to go to the Acedemy. You'll get a great education and it's something to be really proud of. Don't just go to boot camp because you feel guilty right now about letting recruiters down. They'll understand, believe me.

jetdoc
03-11-08, 09:09 AM
Thats a very good point Vicki, I agree about the recruiters.....they care about you but they have a job and Nancy knows about recruiters who do not get their quota....a boot in the rear and back into the fleet.

Nancy is getting it from all sides....go, don't go....do PLC....go enlisted then 92 day reservists....no, no go USNA....do OCS, etc.

I told her to take a sheet of paper and put down her options, PLC, 92 day reserve, (I assume its different than PLC), and then USNA.

Then put down the good and the bad for each, that way you can see it in writing, not just trying to sort it in her head. Then analize each and try to make a smart decision and stick with it and don't look back saying, "what if"?

We all want her to make the best decision for herself AND for the USMC.

jungholee90
03-12-08, 04:26 AM
I think that's a really good idea Sgt!

Nancy, I just stopped by here today since I haven't been on lately and just found this thread and I just have to give my opinion on this. Now I know you have been mentioning about applying to USNA a lot during Poolee Chats and such, so my answer is: Go to Naval Academy.

What is bothering you? You know you want to be an Officer. I know Mustang route is appealing as it is to many other poolees who want to be an officer,
But First, getting accepted into Naval Academy is a big accomplishment there. Don't give that up.
Second, as it was mentioned, being a Mustang doesn't necessarily guarentee all the respect from the enlisted Marines. It is how you do things as an Officer. You can get as much respect as Mustangs coming out from Naval Academy.
Third, you might have the big desire to go to Recruit Training since it is just about the only thing right now we hear from so many others. It won't be the same in USNA, but you will go through the training like that regularly and I am sure that it won't be easy either.
Lastly, you mentioned that you have been in DEP for 9 months now. I know how long of the wait that was and how much you want to be a Marine right now, but if you have waited that long, you can certainly wait about 5 more years. That 5 years in USNA (plus the Prep School) will give you more things for your future. Don't just look right in front of you but look far ahead. Just make sure to stay motivated.

That being said, I wish you the best luck!

Rowe907
03-14-08, 12:35 AM
VMI...... And be like Chesty :)

DEAVILA
04-21-08, 01:55 AM
OK!...So I had to come and give everyone the great News!!...I went to the CANDIDATE VISIT WEEK at the Naval Academy...So I was able to stay with a Midshipman...go to Classes with her..and even PT with her Company...and well I have to say..It was Totally different than what I thought it was going to be..It was absolutely amazing there!..and I had Lots of FUn!..the Midshipmen were great and very helpful. I realized that, USNA is where I belong!..and well..

I HAVE ACCEPTED MY OFFER!...IM GOING TO USNA!..YAYYY!..IM REALLY EXCITED NOW!...

AND THANK YOU GUYS!..for Posting in here..and giving me advice and stuff..You guys were RIGHT!..I need to go to the Naval Academy!..and Now I am!..and im soooo excited!...

DGardner
04-21-08, 02:17 AM
OUT-STANDING NANCY!!!
Congratulations on taking the offer.

quillhill
04-21-08, 02:24 AM
Congratulations! All the best to you in your quest to become an officer.

See, I knew the visit would make a difference. This nasty civlian knows a lil somethin'. ;)

SS109
04-21-08, 08:06 AM
Congratulations, do you know what prep school you're going to? I go to Hargrave Military Academy and a couple of my buddies here are going to the USNA next year

Artemis
04-21-08, 10:17 AM
Congratulations Nancy, I am so happy to hear that you have taken this outstanding once in a life time oppertunity.

yellowwing
04-21-08, 12:14 PM
Good to go, Nancy!

Seoke
04-21-08, 01:07 PM
Just follow your heart mate, it knows what is best for you. We can't help you for everyone is different. If your heart says you want to go boot then go that route.

Wyoming
04-21-08, 07:49 PM
YES!!!!!

Petz
04-21-08, 07:56 PM
annapolis is a great first choice... you can always go back and become a reservist if you fail annapolis.... just don't be one of those gay "Sgt Petzold is a motivator... you should be more like Sgt Petzold when it comes to PT...." (I'm the one saying that if you are confused(talking 3rd person))

I dealt with a f@cktard 1st luetenant who did that.... he was an annapolis grad....

I say go for it man!!!!! annapolis all the way!

DEAVILA
04-21-08, 09:35 PM
hehe..THANK YOU GUYS!..the Visit to the Academy..really did help with my decision Making Process..and Im really really really excited now!!...

The Poolees at My RSS are really happy as-well...Even my GySgt. said..that I will always be the Motivator and Honorable Senior Poolee at RSS Hollywood...so that made me smile!..:) .He said..they werent loosing me..They just prepared me for the Academy..and Besides..Im still going to be Part of the Family..so Im really happy now!...I made the Right Choice!...

Petz
04-21-08, 10:50 PM
... congradulations.

davblay
04-21-08, 11:35 PM
Congratulations Nancy, I knew your mom didn't raise a fool! Make us proud!

Dave

DEAVILA
02-23-09, 08:03 AM
I'm sooooooooooo glad I chose to Come here...an awesome education..everyone here is family...Travelling all over the east coast is fun..hehe..and I've learned sooo much about myself by being put in actual leadership roles..Graduation is only 2 1/2 months away..And I'll be headed to Annapolis in July..I really Can't wait!..I'm soooooo excited!

-DE AVILA

Isrowei
02-23-09, 08:18 AM
Congrats :) Good luck in the home stretch!

jetdoc
02-23-09, 06:14 PM
I'm sooooooooooo glad I chose to Come here...an awesome education..everyone here is family...Travelling all over the east coast is fun..hehe..and I've learned sooo much about myself by being put in actual leadership roles..Graduation is only 2 1/2 months away..And I'll be headed to Annapolis in July..I really Can't wait!..I'm soooooo excited!

-DE AVILA

Haha, have fun during Plebe Summer, Nancy!!! Here comes First set, then Second set, yeeeehaaaa.

During the 4th of July celebration we get to see the Plebes getting put through their paces before the real fireworks go off, I will look for you Nancy.

As you know I usually catch several USNA football games every year, and also as you know if Navy wins you guys get to do a casual stroll back to the Academy vs. being marched back.

jetdoc
02-23-09, 06:25 PM
Plebes getting sworn into the military on Induction Day at the Academy. The Ceremony is held in front of Bancroft Hall.
<SUP></SUP>
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Swearing_in.jpg

Noon meal formation during Plebe Summer 2003 at the United States Naval Academy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Noonmealformation233.jpg

A regimental run during a PEP from Plebe Summer 2003.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Peprund.jpg

Artemis
02-23-09, 07:49 PM
Deavila,

I am so happy for you and that things are going well. I wish you the best of luck.

DGardner
02-23-09, 09:12 PM
Nancy! Glad to hear everything is going good for you and your happy with your decision. Check in more often here, and let us know how you're doing.

-Gardner

YMelendez
03-30-09, 04:49 PM
Wow... I just want to say thank you. You might not realize it but through the whole dilemma you had Nancy and all the advice people gave you I have convinced myself of what I really want in life. Like you once were, I am currently debating where I want to go. I received the NROTC scholarship to UCLA and I received a letter from NAPS. I googled NAPS to try to understand it a little bit better and I ran into your thread. I don't know if you realize how your thoughts chaged throughout the course of a year but I feel like I'm in the same boat. Now I'm really excited to go to NAPS and it's very motivating to know I'm not the only one feeling like this.

Drill for life
03-30-09, 08:56 PM
My Counselor really wants me to go to Annapolis

Is it what you want thugh. I know I can't speak as I am not a Marine but I'm going to tell you there are times where you need to stop thinking of what people want you to do and what God want's you to do. Pray is all I can tell you, I'll be praying for you also.

DGardner
03-30-09, 09:36 PM
Is it what you want thugh. I know I can't speak as I am not a Marine but I'm going to tell you there are times where you need to stop thinking of what people want you to do and what God want's you to do. Pray is all I can tell you, I'll be praying for you also.

You do realize that Nancy made this thread over a year ago? She's already at NAPS.