PDA

View Full Version : Many Unanswered Questions...

Scene412
03-07-08, 08:33 AM
1. It has been stated that numerous times, that one shouldn't get married straight out of boot camp, or till he has some rank under his belt. I, myself will be going in to boot an E-2. And the possibilty of getting married during that 10 day time frame is there. And I've seen people who have supported families on McDonalds salary or a local factory salary. So, how hard is it to support a family, if one leaves within the mearger means, as with any scenario?

2. Marines have 7 month Iraq deployments, while the Army has 15. Throught history, and other war conflicts, have the Marines always had a smaller deployment than the Army?

3. Why does the Army offer monetary incentives, while the Marines doesn't, even though they are on the front line, and are the hardest mentally and physically?

4. I may be under the false impression, that Marines don't really offer civilan training. Since there really isn't a civilan equal to infantry. I know, people want to say cop, but to my understanding; many cop stations do not want to take former Marines. Exact same way, that Air Force doesn't want prior service. since its so hard to retrain someone who has the mentality of a different branch, instead of blank slate...

Thanks in Advance

sparkie
03-07-08, 08:38 AM
4. I may be under the false impression, that Marines don't really offer civilan training. Since there really isn't a civilan equal to infantry. I know, people want to say cop, but to my understanding; many cop stations do not want to take former Marines.

That statement will be torpedoed fast around here.:banana:

SGT7477
03-07-08, 08:42 AM
Many police departments want Marine Corp. material and I know for sure the air force has taken many Marines through the years if you want to get something done you hire Marines I guess if you want to get married that's up to you my time in the Corp. I seen many marriages fail but a few seemed ok.

run like hell
03-07-08, 09:17 AM
I think getting married is a personal option

outlaw3179
03-07-08, 09:25 AM
Marriage is tough in the Marine Corps. Your in the field, your training, your deploying, your partying, its tough and can strain a relationship. So yes it is a personal choice, but alot of Sr. Marines will tell you . If you want to get married at least wait til your second enlistment. Youll be more mature , a bit more financially stable, and will understand what a true commitment is required of you in the Marine Corps. Thats something that you cant explain or describe but while your in the Marines, the Marines will come first , then maybe the family.

OB MSG
03-07-08, 09:32 AM
OK, for starters. What MOS are you looking to go into? Depending on what job you have in the Corps you will be away from your new wife for a minumum of 2 to 3 more months. I was a 2871, TMDE Tech, and my school was 9 months long. I saw one guy in that whole time who had his wife in the area, the rest waited until they found out where they were going after finishing the school. Why the rush? If you love each other that much, the love will still be there when you have settled into a base. How hard is it to support a family? Hard. Those McDonald's people you mention probably have another job or something under the table to supplement their income.

The Army offers incentives and money because they can and they need to. If you join the Marines it's because you want too. If there is a signing bonus, great, if not, oh well. You are joining this gun club for the honor of being a part of it, enough said.

Lastly, Torpedoes away!! Yup, you are wrong. There are plenty of things you can train for that will transfer to civy life. Talk to your recruiter, but then when you get in and you are at a base, go to your education office and talk to them. They will go through your record and will be able to tell you what things will transfer over. They can also point you to training, classes and schools that you can join/take that will further enhance your knowledge, skills and resume for when you do get out and need to land a job. Get the GI Bill, I've already tapped it, and finished a Bachelor's Degree. It's there, use it.

Just my two cents.

dhenderson88
03-07-08, 09:33 AM
For your third question, I personally believe that the Army feels the need to "buy recruits" while the Marines believe in earning everything they give you. You can get the same amount of money from each branch since the Department of Defense determines how much they can give. The Marines just don't seem to talk about it as much.

Scene412
03-07-08, 10:26 AM
Marriage is tough in the Marine Corps. Your in the field, your training, your deploying, your partying, its tough and can strain a relationship.
How is this any different from joining any other branch? The person that I am considering of marrying was married to an Army guy, so I think she can cope and understand deployments, probable more so, since Army deployments is twice as long.

OK, for starters. What MOS are you looking to go into? Depending on what job you have in the Corps you will be away from your new wife for a minumum of 2 to 3 more months.Why the rush?
I was promised Avionics or Air Traffic Controller. Yet, I won't sign my contract till the day I leave,(20080421) since no slots are open. 2 to 3 Months doesn't seem that long, considered I'm committed to the Marines, and have already taken into account, that I will go on deployments twice as long.

The rush? That way she can follow me, when school is over. And BAH and BAS can build up while im in school.

And I don't plan for her to be a typical military housewife, she's going to work... Not just sit there, and collect my check...

You can get the same amount of money from each branch since the Department of Defense determines how much they can give. The Marines just don't seem to talk about it as much.
Yea, I don't believe this is true. Marines don't offer thousands of dollars for joining like the Army.

dhenderson88
03-07-08, 10:35 AM
They could offer it though, they just don't in my experience. My recruiter showed me the 80 some odd thousand dollars that he could give me for college after my enlistment is up, I just don't qualify for them. In my experience the Army will talk about its enlistment bonuses and college funds without talking about the requirments. But of course I could be completely wrong, this is just my observation.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 10:47 AM
If you are joining the Marine Corps for money you may want to take a longer look at the Army. Alot of the Marines here joined the Corps when we were being paid less than a shovel handler. My begining base pay as a Private was $320 a month. To serve your country as a Marine is priceless. As to funding after service for school that is controled by the Veterans Admin and not by the military services. As to job training, it depends on the job you choose to do in the military. There more than a few sites that will be thrilled to job search for you. Good luck to you

OB MSG
03-07-08, 10:48 AM
How is this any different from joining any other branch? The person that I am considering of marrying was married to an Army guy, so I think she can cope and understand deployments, probable more so, since Army deployments is twice as long.

Ok, and how did...wait, nevermind. If you're hell-bent for destruction to get married, what anyone says here will not matter at all.

As for the length of the school, keep reading. I said that it could be as short as 2-3 months. Avionics or ATC, you are probably going to be there longer than that.

As for the money, it seems to me that that's a driving force for you. So if you're that worried about it then go to the Army. Otherwise, hunt through the MOS Book, look for the one or two with the highest signing bonus and chase those. We don't talk about money because most of us don't care about it. Don't get me worng, it's nice to have a few more bucks in your pocket, but we join to be the best, not the best paid.

Think this through very hard, by yourself, or with someone who will act as Devils Advocate. I may sound like a hard-a$$, but I do have your best interest in mind and heart.

Scene412
03-07-08, 11:01 AM
Ok, and how did...wait, nevermind. If you're hell-bent for destruction to get married, what anyone says here will not matter at all.

How did what? I'm not hell-bent on destruction, I'm asking an opinion or people's point of view. Which is why I asked the question.

As for the money, it seems to me that that's a driving force for you. So if you're that worried about it then go to the Army. Otherwise, hunt through the MOS Book, look for the one or two with the highest signing bonus and chase those. We don't talk about money because most of us don't care about it. Don't get me worng, it's nice to have a few more bucks in your pocket, but we join to be the best, not the best paid.

It's not a driving force, just a mere question. So, that I am not ignorant. If it was a driving force. I would have went Army. But, then again money is always a driving factor in life. If money wasn't an issue, you wouldn't be working. I doubt anyone would work for free. It's an economy based world.

OB MSG
03-07-08, 11:41 AM
Ok, then I will give a point-of-view/opinion. In my opinion it would be a bad idea to get married this early in your Marine Corps career. You are going to be away from each other, a lot, and you will be focused on things other than her. You say that she was married to a soldier and so she will be better equipped to deal with your future deployments, possibly, but that's not 100%. I don't know this person you profess to be in love with and want to spend the rest of your life with, but I have seen enough Marines who are in love and then the marriage goes South, not saying it will but you never know.

Your mere question had a lot of undertone in it.

If you feel this needs to be further argued, send me a personal message.

PainForPleasure
03-07-08, 11:52 AM
As far as signing bonuses go, I could have easily made a nice chunk of change if I went into the Army. I did not enlist in the Marines for money, and that is one thing that my recruiter loved to hear me say, I joined this to be the best, be the most trained, and look good doing it. Money does not mean everything to some people.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 12:00 PM
Son no one is telling you what to do. What we all look at is something you do not even see yet. As I have said in other posts our main concern is not ony about you but the men that will be around you. When you put that uniform on your mind needs to be a Marine and your Mission seceruity and nothing else. Being married you are going to have to be able to turn off the job at home and turn off the home at work. It takes alot of work to do this and it is not just the Marine Corps just google law enforcement and marriage and I think you will get my drift. I am not saying it can not be done because it has been done and and with great success but for the most part it has ended in failure. Good luck on your decision

Big Jim
03-07-08, 12:03 PM
1. It has been stated that numerous times, that one shouldn't get married straight out of boot camp, or till he has some rank under his belt. I, myself will be going in to boot an E-2. And the possibilty of getting married during that 10 day time frame is there. And I've seen people who have supported families on McDonalds salary or a local factory salary. So, how hard is it to support a family, if one leaves within the mearger means, as with any scenario?

2. Marines have 7 month Iraq deployments, while the Army has 15. Throught history, and other war conflicts, have the Marines always had a smaller deployment than the Army?

3. Why does the Army offer monetary incentives, while the Marines doesn't, even though they are on the front line, and are the hardest mentally and physically?

4. I may be under the false impression, that Marines don't really offer civilan training. Since there really isn't a civilan equal to infantry. I know, people want to say cop, but to my understanding; many cop stations do not want to take former Marines. Exact same way, that Air Force doesn't want prior service. since its so hard to retrain someone who has the mentality of a different branch, instead of blank slate...

Thanks in Advance

All these are valid questions but if you're looking for answers why the Army or the Air Force do what they do...you'll probably have to look somewhere else. This is a MARINE CORPS information site where Marines help Marines... I can't intelligently speak about either of those branches of military but I can tell you that these fine Marines have given you some sound advice. Having a failed marriage myself, while on active duty, is simply in itself a strain on any marriage. much less one that has just begun. Statistically speaking, marriage in the Marine Corps has over an 80% chance of failing. This is due to all those deployments and training and not being together...not to mention combat, which is what you'll most likely see.
A wife and kids are fine IF you AND she can make it work. It's alot of hard work and sacrifice. Most marriages in the Marine Corps don't work and that's a fact. So, to save you the pain and financial burdens, these fine Marines and myself, are HIGHLY advising you...to just wait...and ask her to wait for you. If it's real, she'll wait. You made the committment to the Corps first and they come first. Look at the bigger picture ...weigh your options and do the right thing. Man, you don't want to have any kids you'll never get to see or a wife you'll never get to love...in person. It's hard...real hard and that's why they fail. Especially with Marines on their first enlistment. I hope you understand.

Scene412
03-07-08, 12:22 PM
All these are valid questions but if you're looking for answers why the Army or the Air Force do what they do...you'll probably have to look somewhere else. This is a MARINE CORPS information site where Marines help Marines... I can't intelligently speak about either of those branches of military but I can tell you that these fine Marines have given you some sound advice. Having a failed marriage myself, while on active duty, is simply in itself a strain on any marriage. much less one that has just begun. Statistically speaking, marriage in the Marine Corps has over an 80% chance of failing. This is due to all those deployments and training and not being together...not to mention combat, which is what you'll most likely see.
A wife and kids are fine IF you AND she can make it work. It's alot of hard work and sacrifice. Most marriages in the Marine Corps don't work and that's a fact. So, to save you the pain and financial burdens, these fine Marines and myself, are HIGHLY advising you...to just wait...and ask her to wait for you. If it's real, she'll wait. You made the committment to the Corps first and they come first. Look at the bigger picture ...weigh your options and do the right thing. Man, you don't want to have any kids you'll never get to see or a wife you'll never get to love...in person. It's hard...real hard and that's why they fail. Especially with Marines on their first enlistment. I hope you understand.
Why did your marriage fail?

Basically from the points you made, marriages fail due to deployments, and not being together? So, basically it was case of maturity and committment, and not understanding that marriage is more than a physical bond. And due to combat? So basically, you are saying that people come back 'changed.' And don't know how to seperate work and personal life.

A wife and your kids that you'll never see...Does this change with your second enlistemnt? Do the deployments slow down? No? Hmm....

Big Jim
03-07-08, 12:36 PM

Due to deployments, and not being together? So, basically it was case of maturity and committment, and not understanding that marriage is more than a physical bond. And due to combat? So basically, you are saying that people come back 'changed.' And don't know how to seperate work and personal life.

A wife and your kids that you'll never see...Does this change with your second enlistemnt? Do the deployments slow down? No? Hmm....

Whoa boy...! Slow down...my marriage, like so many others, failed because I wasn't there...I mean I physically wasn't there for her..emotionally or anything. Just not there...understand? The committment and bond to each other was there but trying to make a marriage work after a year of being apart sometimes doesn't work...you grow apart. Maturity had nothing to do with it. The daughter we had out of that marriage is now 19 years old and even she understands why it failed and doesn't harbor any bad feelings for anyone because she understands the bigger picture of the committment I had taken an oath for...to uphold.

That's what takes priority over everything because no matter what you're doing on the weekend or what plans you have with the family like BBQing or going to the beach...when the green machine calls, you're going, no matter what...and some people can't understand or accept that fact. I was also on my second enlistment and STILL being called. As far as being changed when you come back...thats a different story and a different subject. But, some people do come back different and yes, it could be a cause for divorce.

That's what I'm trying to have YOU look at...the bigger and future you have with this girl. If you have one or not. If you talk with her and ask her to understand more than just what she wants right now, she just might, and when that happens, you're marriage and relationship with her is all that much better. But, struggling to hang on to something that doesn't really have a good chance is a gamble...at best. But, if you feel strongly...roll the dice...

Pezzle
03-07-08, 12:37 PM
To add some humor to seriousness, my boyfriend [husband-to-be] says he can take me being deployed as long as I need to be - so long as he has dish network, military channel, and the major sports packages.. especially NFL Season Ticket. However I do not know if this tactic works with us womenfolk.

:angel:

Big Jim
03-07-08, 12:45 PM
To add some humor to seriousness, my boyfriend [husband-to-be] says he can take me being deployed as long as I need to be - so long as he has dish network, military channel, and the major sports packages.. especially NFL Season Ticket. However I do not know if this tactic works with us womenfolk.

:angel:

It'd definitely work for me!!! LOL!! :thumbup:

SGT7477
03-07-08, 12:48 PM
If you are joining the Marine Corps for money you may want to take a longer look at the Army. Alot of the Marines here joined the Corps when we were being paid less than a shovel handler. My begining base pay as a Private was $320 a month. To serve your country as a Marine is priceless. As to funding after service for school that is controled by the Veterans Admin and not by the military services. As to job training, it depends on the job you choose to do in the military. There more than a few sites that will be thrilled to job search for you. Good luck to you
Well Marine you made more than me I made 135 bucks a month,lol.:flag:

SGT7477
03-07-08, 12:55 PM

Basically from the points you made, marriages fail due to deployments, and not being together? So, basically it was case of maturity and committment, and not understanding that marriage is more than a physical bond. And due to combat? So basically, you are saying that people come back 'changed.' And don't know how to seperate work and personal life.

Looks to me you don't like to listen very well it takes alot to become a Marine and stay a good Marine if your marriage does go bad are you going to be able to take it without hurting your fellow Marines in a combat situation open your ears the Marines here are helping you not hurting you the next thing is, do you have what it takes to become one of us, The Few The Proud THE MARINES.:evilgrin:

Scene412
03-07-08, 01:02 PM
Whether it's a simple relationship or a marriage.

Commitment, Hurt, and Betrayal know no bounds.

People get 'Dear John' letters all the time, and they aren't married.

So, how is a marriage any different?

Seems a marraige would be smarter, in essence, so that both parties can see that a commitment is being made, and investment is also being made..

Big Jim
03-07-08, 01:12 PM
Whether it's a simple relationship or a marriage.

Commitment, Hurt, and Betrayal know no bounds.

People get 'Dear John' letters all the time, and they aren't married.

So, how is a marriage any different?

Seems a marraige would be smarter, in essence, so that both parties can see that a commitment is being made, and investment is also being made..

A marriage ISN'T any different...it just hurts more when you expect the other person to keep their promises of waiting for you while you're on deployment, (AND YOU'RE GONNA BE GONE ALOT), while she screws around you or you screw around on her or worse....you get home to an empty house, no car, no furniture. no wife, no kids...just a note on the door and your heart is ripped out of your chest. I've seen that happen too many times to my young Marines. Its a really difficult struggle and I think you need to really evaluate this when thinking about getting married so early in your Marine Corps career. Its a damn struggle, I've done it and seen it done and almost all of them failed. Take it for what its worth...listen or don't listen...its up to you.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 01:14 PM
Ok Scene412 I have to ask now....did you pass the ASVAB??? and if so how?
1. You have the respect level of a 13 year old.
2. You do not listen.
3. Your level of comprehension is of a 13 year old.
4. Your level idealism is off the chart.
For all of you thirteen year olds out there I meant no disrespect.
You asked the questions and they have been answered. If you do not like the answers, tough! You asked for them so why argue?

Scene412
03-07-08, 01:20 PM
Ok Scene412 I have to ask now....did you pass the ASVAB??? and if so how?
1. You have the respect level of a 13 year old.
2. You do not listen.
3. Your level of comprehension is of a 13 year old.
4. Your level idealism is off the chart.
For all of you thirteen year olds out there I meant no disrespect.
You asked the questions and they have been answered. If you do not like the answers, tough! You asked for them so why argue?
I did pass the ASVAB and got a 74.
Can I have a discussion or a debate? Or even play the devil's advocate? Or even ask for an opinion, or not agree with it? Or even dwelve deeper why they think that way, to better understand why they do?

In essence, that is like trying to compare commen sense and intelligence; there is no correlation.

I apologize for not accepting everything that is spoon-fed to me, and not following the masses and having an opinion of my own.

Big Jim
03-07-08, 01:27 PM
Now, now...respect here is of the utmost importance...especially to Marines. Just a warning...

Scene412
03-07-08, 01:33 PM
My begining base pay as a Private was $320 a month.

So, considering that you went in 1979, by today's inflation rates is equivalent to $1101.06, which is pretty much what private's make to this today. So, there is no difference.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

Now, now...respect here is of the utmost importance...especially to Marines. Just a warning...

Respect?! Have I degraded or insulted anyone? No. So, I have shown nothing but respect, for have people whom have replied in this thread.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 01:34 PM
A debate is to give answer for question not to ask the same question in fifty different angles. As I have stated you have recieved your answer some time ago. Marriage is tough for civilians, 50% diviorce rate. That is without adding all of the stress of military life ie deployments, mental stress, not to forget life threatning situations. I do admire your stubberness but that only goes so far and as for my last post. You are only thinking of You and seem to have forgotten that that is not life in the Marine Corps. It is your brother in the fox hole next to you! My commitment to the Marine Corps was and is just that. AND YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SPOON-FED as I mentioned earlier. Google marriage and law enforcement, google marriage and the armed forces, google marriage and fire fighters you will get the same answers!!! People working in high risk employment have very rocky relationships. good luck

Big Jim
03-07-08, 01:46 PM
So, considering that you went in 1979, by today's inflation rates is equivalent to $1101.06, which is pretty much what private's make to this today. So, there is no difference.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

Respect?! Have I degraded or insulted anyone? No. So, I have shown nothing but respect, for have people whom have replied in this thread.

No, you haven't insulted anyone but you ARE becoming argumentative and we ARE Marines here. Respect does go far with us...arguing doesn't. So, show some understanding and some respect and you will receive it, ok? Otherwise, this conversation is over...