PDA

View Full Version : Private firm now issuing base passes....

Phantom Blooper
03-07-08, 03:45 AM
Private firm now issuing base passes

KEVIN FORSYTHE ("")
2008-03-07 00:31:24
DAILY NEWS STAFF
<!-- Video goes here -->No longer are temporary gate passes for entering Camp Lejeune and other U.S. Marine Corps bases being issued by Marines. Instead, civilian contracted personnel handle the job.

Homeland Security Solutions Inc. of Hampton, Va., is under contract with the Marine Corps to provide nonguard security services. These positions are primarily responsible for issuing base passes at the visitors center.

"Our people are augmenting the Marine force in place, not replacing it," said Richard Neville, chief operations officer with HSSI.

"The Marine Corps decided to hire civilian personnel in order to return military policemen to the operating force," a statement from the Public Affairs Office on Camp Lejeune read. "Namely, the goal is to have more military policemen available for division, wing and group deployable units."

Camp Lejeune officials also said the change to civilian personnel at the visitors center is being considered permanent.

HSSI personnel received extensive job training prior to placement at Camp Lejeune, Neville said.

While HSSI employees will be issuing base passes, Marine Corps personnel will continue to have a visible presence in the visitors center and oversee gate operations. Armed Marines will continue to guard the actual entrances to Camp Lejeune.

Neville said HSSI has been contracted to provide nonguard security services at all Marine bases in the United States.

"We're still ramping up at this time," Neville said. "It's a program being implemented in several phases."

Neville also said the implementation of HSSI staff on Marine bases is likely to evolve into additional security positions.

While the personnel issuing temporary base passes have changed, there have been no changes to qualifications or procedures in being issued a temporary gate pass. Base entry with a vehicle will require having an approved sponsor, photo ID, vehicle registration and proof of insurance.

Contact Kevin Forsythe at kforsythe@freedomenc.com or 910-353-1171, ext. 8449. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment on this report.

sscjoe
03-21-08, 08:16 AM
Civilian Contractors waste of taxpayer money

jinelson
03-21-08, 08:26 AM
Big waste of money and the contractors do not have the same accountability as we do, if they have any. Its a big mistake.

Jim

Phantom Blooper
03-21-08, 08:55 AM
I agree Jim...my oldest daughters fiancé is stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB here in NC and they have rent-a-cops for base security. I was just waved through the gate with no ID check or anything and this was when we were in the height of full alert at CLNC after 911 and I didn't have my car with a sticker,I had a rental car. I don't think its a good idea.:mad:

:evilgrin:

sparkie
03-21-08, 09:07 AM
I work with this young man, ex Air Force, who just applied for a job in Iraq. Small arms repair for the Marines. One year civilian contract.
I could only think,,,,, What the hell?
Whats next? Contract fire teams?

sscjoe
03-21-08, 09:17 AM
Phantom, I worked in contract security at one of the service academys for a couple of years. Lots of former Marines problem was the rest of the force was made up of slackers who would do just what you stated in your message. Don't get me started on I.M.A( Installation Management Agency) They are the other part of the problem

SgtHopperUSMC
03-22-08, 03:58 PM
Same thing with the mess halls.... or is that dining facility?

OLE SARG
03-22-08, 08:17 PM
You mean there is no more "MESS DUTY"????????????????????? That sucks - everyone needs a taste of the 3 AM start of mess duty to include peeling potatoes, swabbing the decks, cleaning tables, washing those bigass pots and pans, etc.

SEMPER FI,

FistFu68
03-23-08, 07:57 AM
:evilgrin: NO MORE A.J.SQUARED AWAY MARINE,STANDING AT THE GATE, CHECKING YOU'RE I'D'S SAYING YES MAAM,YES SIR.THAT'S BULLCHIT,SOON IT'S GONNA LOOK LIKE CROSSING THE BORDER WHERE THESE CIVVIES ARE LEANING AGAINST A BUILDING DRINKING SODA.IT'S SLOPPY AND NOT VERY SECURITY CONCIENCE!!!NOT GOOD.:mad: S/F THAT:iwo:

Old Marine
03-23-08, 08:26 AM
So does this eliminate the Provost Marshall's Office?

SgtHopperUSMC
03-24-08, 11:30 AM
You mean there is no more "MESS DUTY"????????????????????? That sucks - everyone needs a taste of the 3 AM start of mess duty to include peeling potatoes, swabbing the decks, cleaning tables, washing those bigass pots and pans, etc.

SEMPER FI,They still did it in boot camp and in Okinawa in the late 80's

Native Warrior
03-24-08, 11:34 AM
From what I've read, Marines will still be at the gates and patrolling the base. It's just those issuing visitors passes that's being relieved by civilian contractors. There will be a Marine present in the information center to oversee their work, this will allow those Marines stuck in the information center issuing passes to get out on patrol. Gives more Marine manpower where it's needed. I hope it stops there and the gates and patrolling of the base is never relinquished to civilians.

CHOPPER7199
03-25-08, 06:25 PM
Maybe The Kids Of Our Congress People Need A Job. Makes It Sound Good, My Son Is At So and So Base. Wtf.

jetdawgg
03-26-08, 09:25 AM
I work with this young man, ex Air Force, who just applied for a job in Iraq. Small arms repair for the Marines. One year civilian contract.
I could only think,,,,, What the hell?
Whats next? Contract fire teams?

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/20/blackwater.jpg