PDA

View Full Version : Problems While Working Out?

Scene412
03-06-08, 07:26 PM
Ok, So I'm trying to get in shape for IST. I'm not fat. Just not in shape, with no endurance. Well, I was starting to run, and about half way through, my lower back starts hurting extremely. Then I can taste blood in my mouth. I spit, there is no blood. Just the taste is there.

Are these two problems related?

Could the back problem be related to my flat feet?

Do I just need to work out my lower back, since it may not be used to impact?

What causes this, and how do I resolve the problem?

CamK
03-06-08, 07:37 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't know if the doctors will pass you at MEPs if you have flat feet, like I said, I'm not an expert, but I know my Grandpa was DQ'd for the same issue.

Please do correct me if im wrong though, guys.

PainForPleasure
03-06-08, 07:42 PM
Ok, So I'm trying to get in shape for IST. I'm not fat. Just not in shape, with no endurance. Well, I was starting to run, and about half way through, my lower back starts hurting extremely. Then I can taste blood in my mouth. I spit, there is no blood. Just the taste is there.

Are these two problems related?

Could the back problem be related to my flat feet?

Do I just need to work out my lower back, since it may not be used to impact?

What causes this, and how do I resolve the problem?

I know I'm not allowed to reply since I'm not a Marine yet, but this comes from usually a oral infection. Probably not the back pain causing it. When you are running you are probably breathing through your mouth causing whatever infection you have flare up. Periodontis and gingivitis are some of the main causes for for a metallic taste in the mouth. Canker sores can also cause a metallic taste in the mouth. Amalgum fillings if you have any CAN and sometimes do leak causing it also.

My mother is a Dental Hygienist, I know quite a bit about teeth :scared:

gnarkill04
03-06-08, 07:47 PM
I know I'm not allowed to reply since I'm not a Marine yet, but this comes from usually a oral infection. Probably not the back pain causing it. When you are running you are probably breathing through your mouth causing whatever infection you have flare up. Periodontis and gingivitis are some of the main causes for for a metallic taste in the mouth. Canker sores can also cause a metallic taste in the mouth. Amalgum fillings if you have any CAN and sometimes do leak causing it also.

My mother is a Dental Hygienist, I know quite a bit about teeth :scared:

This is the poolee hall, Pain. Don't trip, you can reply to kid's questions here if you know the answers.

Brewer0311
03-06-08, 07:49 PM
I'm no expert, but I don't know if the doctors will pass you at MEPs if you have flat feet, like I said, I'm not an expert, but I know my Grandpa was DQ'd for the same issue.

Please do correct me if im wrong though, guys.

You no longer get DQ'd for flat feet. THey give you insole at your arrival at boot camp.

As far as your back goes just stretch. If your only half way through an IST and it hurts then you probably didn't stretch. Plus it is all mental. Your body will let you know if your injured. If your hurt just go through it. Same with all my other posts like this, I'll leave you with this question. "If you were in combat and your back hurt would that stop you from running to cover?" Train like you plan to play. Every Marine hurts. We suck it up and go through it. If we're injured then we take Motrin and drink more water :marine: .

sawatzke82
03-06-08, 07:52 PM
A good pair of running shoes really helps too.

SCrawford
03-06-08, 08:05 PM
You will be fine. you prolly haven't worked out in awhile if ever and you put alot of stress on your body that its not used too. just keep working hard. hard work is underestimated these days and not alot of people relize that. To be honest i work out 5 days a week maybe more and there are days when i get cramps, cotton mouth, back pain, slight shin splints from running so it must just be your day just keep working hard and you will improve.

ttracker65
03-06-08, 08:28 PM
Ok Poolees I do not honestly know if the Corps are still doing Mother F***'ers anymore or not but if you are trying to shape up here is how you do it.
Starting position is the position of attention
1. Bend your knees until your hands are palm flat on the ground.
2. Keeping palms on the ground kick your feet out so that you are in the push "up" position.
3. Go down just as in a push up.
4. Go back up to the up push up position.
5. Swing your feet back under you so that you are in the knees bent palms flat on the ground position.
6. Stand up to the attention position.
This a count of one, if you do 50 a day and add 10 a week I guarentee you you will be in shape. Ohh I have been told that there is a nicer term for this exercise called Bends and Thrusts but I believe after a week you will be calling them by there true rightful name. Good luck

SlingerDun
03-06-08, 08:33 PM
Could the back problem be related to my flat feet? Yes. a healthy arch absorbs and dissipates concussion better than flat feet
Do I just need to work out my lower back, since it may not be used to impact?try a lower impact workout like air squats, this will strengthen your lower back indirectly without concussion and deliver a good cardio workout if you stay at it long enough.

--->Dave

Brandon1
03-06-08, 10:26 PM
I dont get the lower back pain anymore, but when I first started working out, I had a huge gut on me. I never had any previous back problems so I knew it was my gut and the strain it put on my back. So I knew there was no problem worth seeing the Doc over. I just pushed through the pain and now i'm 75lbs lighter with no gut WOOT! Anyways i'm not saying you have a gut because I dont know, but I will say that your back is just not used to the strain you are putting it through at the moment. It's just like working out, when you first start, the next day you just want to rip every limb from your body because it is so painful. Thats the good pain, that is the pain that I LOVE to get, because it's the best pain you will ever feel. Try doing some back extensions to get your back in better shape than it is. Stretch also, dont do a damn thing without stretching, you are leaving yourself wide open for injury and we dont want that do we? This has been said before obviously but i'll say it again. There is pain you can work through, but theres pain you cant. Pretty much just work through it because I and I know more people on here have done it also. Uh the blood taste in the mouth thing puzzles me so I wont even attempt that one lol.

ttracker65
03-06-08, 11:00 PM
Blood taste can be an Iron problem or a nasel infection or a dozen other things