PDA

View Full Version : Question.

PainForPleasure
03-06-08, 05:34 PM
Are all Marines now required when they sign up / DEP to go into the Inactive Ready Reserve? When I was at MEPS and finally got done with my physical and sat down with my liason to look at my contract, I noticed that it had the IRR for 8 years. As soon as I saw that I immediately said that I was not wanting to be in the reserves, and not be in the Marines for 8 years ( I want 4 then want to re-enlist ). He said that basically almost all Marines now are signed up for the IRR and that I have no obligations after my 4 years to the Corps. I asked him if the IRR has ever been called back to Iraq / after their 4 years, he said that only a few.

Is this true? Am I actually active duty? Am I in the reserves or what? I have not of course went to PI yet, it's just that this has been sticking in my head.

davblay
03-06-08, 05:55 PM
The moment that you are sworn into any branch of military, you are (unless discharged early) obligated to 8 years service to the United States! Now if you sign a 4 X 4 enlistment contract then you...

GySgtRet
03-06-08, 06:05 PM
Welcome Aboard Leatherneck.com. The answers that you are looking for have actually been covered here on the forums but I will explain this to you. No matter what service you sign up for you are a reservist while in the DEP. No matter what service you sign up for you have a 8 year obligation. If you didn't go into DEP and direct shipped you would have still had one day of service as IRR. Depending on your active duty contract will depend on how long you have left on your obligation for the IRR after your active duty time. The reason you are in the IRR is this counts towards your reserve time. The lest amount of DEP will yeild less time to be obligated. DOn't worry the recruiter has not shysted you or anybody else in anyway. They don't make the rules as recruiters only the service secretary and the DoD make the rules the recruiters make sure that you are qualified to join. Since you are shipping on 24 March you will be in the DEP from today until you are sworn in for your active duty to start. I suggest you look things over there is knowledge and poolees that have studied the things that you don't know yet.

If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask any Marine on here. I do encourage you to look around and find answers in the POOLEE area.

Good luck.

Gunny out

:usmc:

PainForPleasure
03-06-08, 07:29 PM
Welcome Aboard Leatherneck.com. The answers that you are looking for have actually been covered here on the forums but I will explain this to you. No matter what service you sign up for you are a reservist while in the DEP. No matter what service you sign up for you have a 8 year obligation. If you didn't go into DEP and direct shipped you would have still had one day of service as IRR. Depending on your active duty contract will depend on how long you have left on your obligation for the IRR after your active duty time. The reason you are in the IRR is this counts towards your reserve time. The lest amount of DEP will yeild less time to be obligated. DOn't worry the recruiter has not shysted you or anybody else in anyway. They don't make the rules as recruiters only the service secretary and the DoD make the rules the recruiters make sure that you are qualified to join. Since you are shipping on 24 March you will be in the DEP from today until you are sworn in for your active duty to start. I suggest you look things over there is knowledge and poolees that have studied the things that you don't know yet.

If you have more questions please don't hesitate to ask any Marine on here. I do encourage you to look around and find answers in the POOLEE area.

Good luck.

Gunny out

:usmc:

Yea, I have been asking around and what not as far as MCRD goes. I've memorized all the ranks, rifleman's creed, General Orders, and Marine Corps history. I'm doing all the working out I can before I leave. I searched just for the term IRR before posting to see if it had been covered, and it had'nt ( according to that search and the threads that appeared ).

Thanks though!

PainForPleasure
03-06-08, 07:31 PM
Not that I care, but why was the IRR introduced? What is the reasoning behind it? I don't mind that I signed on for that, just wondering.

ttracker65
03-07-08, 11:37 AM
For those of us that joined this service a while back it was a pool that the military had to pull from in time of emergancy. Already trained and already served. If the rules are the same while in IRR...