PDA

View Full Version : Military mother opposes Iraq war

thedrifter
03-06-08, 09:33 AM
Military mother opposes Iraq war
Thursday, March 06, 2008
The Oregonian

S ince the war in Iraq began, I've written many columns in support of people serving in the military. They are patriots. They make tremendous sacrifices in service to our country.

Most often, my stories have come from the parents of soldiers. I've quoted parents who strongly support the war in Iraq.

I've interviewed more parents whose children have served, been injured or been killed -- and most of those parents are against the war. But they never wanted to say so in the newspaper.

Suzi Sutherland-Martin is the first person who has contacted me and been willing to say, in print, that her son is serving in Iraq and she is opposed to the war.

Suzi's son is an officer in the Marines. She loves him very much; she worries about him constantly. She writes him letters and sends e-mails. She telephones and ships packages.

And every Saturday she heads for the Portland airport, sits at a table in front of a sign that says "Bring the Troops Home" and tries to talk to people about the war.

After months of this work, Suzi has come to a sad conclusion: "I feel the majority of Americans are not interested in the troops or the war," she says.

"I watch all the people who walk by and ignore us, or say they aren't interested.

"The whole mess just doesn't touch them. That is the double whammy of the war for families like mine. You are overwhelmed with concern for your . . . Marine, in my case. And not only don't people seem to care, they don't even seem to be paying attention."

Suzi knows well she could be vilified for speaking out against a war in which her son is fighting. People already have told her she's not being supportive of her son.

"How is it supporting your children to send them to a war we shouldn't have waged, that no one has any idea how to end? Some of them don't have proper equipment. And the public doesn't care."

She knows she will be called anti-military but says she's not.

"My husband and his brother were in the military. Their father was a career Army officer. My father was in the military. My son grew up in a family" with a tradition of military service. After college graduation, he joined the Marines.

When Suzi's son was sent in harm's way, she realized she had no one but her husband to talk to about her fears. "We talked about it obsessively." But outside the family, "I felt so desperately alone. Nobody I knew wanted to talk about the war."

Suzi says she started writing letters to people who wrote commentaries about the war in the newspaper "because they were the only people talking about the war." She felt self-conscious, like she was asking the writers "to be my pen pals."

Then she heard about the Oregon chapter of Military Families Speak Out (www.mfso-oregon.org). She attended a monthly support group in Wilsonville and "was thrilled beyond belief to feel I was not the only person in this situation."

Here were other parents, and a few wives and siblings, who opposed the war their loved ones were fighting.

"We talked about our children, and the depressing things going on for them." One member's son returned from battle with severe post-traumatic stress symptoms. One woman's husband has been sent to Iraq four times.

Many members supported the war at the onset but changed their opinions after hearing what their loved ones had seen. "Their kids don't like it," Suzi says. "They're disillusioned with this war.

"We started talking about what we could do. Write letters, go to demonstrations." To those activities they added the Saturday table at the airport.

Suzi and others pass out pamphlets, bumper stickers, candy. They provide sheets with information about the cost of the war and tell people what they can do to help end it.

"While I'm doing this stuff, I feel like it really matters," Suzi says. "But on the way home, I'm not sure. Because nothing has changed."

She's dismayed that in an election season there's not more discussion about ending the war. She thinks she knows why.

"This is a terrible thing to say, but I think we should have a draft," she says. "I don't like the draft, I don't like war. But I can't think of anything else that would cause people to pay attention" to a war she believes we should not be fighting.

"I think if we had a draft, we would not have had this war." The general population would not have wanted to put its children at risk. College students would have protested more.

But since we are at war, Suzi figured this was a good time, "right before the fifth anniversary, for want of a better word, of the start of the Iraq war" to tell the other side of the story: "The one about parents of soldiers sitting at a table in the airport, trying to remind people there is still a war going on."

Margie Boule: 503-221-8450; marboule@aol.com

Ellie

PrivatePyle
03-06-08, 11:10 PM
I could spend hours replying, but I won't, I do not support this particular war but in a sense it is like jenga each block representing part of the country, pull the block out of the wrong place too quickly the rest of the blocks will fall. We (our government) are in all fairness making very little effort but even if we did, could we really just pull out tomorrow?

Ladymimi
03-16-08, 01:09 PM
My opinion:

I am a Marine mother and not afraid to express my self..my son give me the wright to talk and to say trew hem what I whant to say..My son sacrifices are like the sacrifices of all the troops over in Iraq and in afganisthan and other parts of the world they are serving.

1.- I am not happy there is war any where..nobotty like war..where ever there is one..we all care about children and adults and human life and animal life..!!! I do not call war to this ..what I call war is what they did here in american soil..!!! and belive me I have not forgothen and every day that goes bye ..I remeber and suffer for what happen and for all the people who dye dat day..!!! that Iraq did not have noting to do whith it ..maby not , but do they forgoet where they where trainig ..? do they forgoet how sadam was killing hes own people and helping some of them to destroy our freedom..? America is good..America is Noble..that is the reazon people come to the USA ..!! did any booty remember that many people from all over the world whant to be here..for one reazon ..they are happy here..!!! so if this country have enemyes is becouse there oun people have shocen this as hes country and to me that is the reazon this country is strong..!!! Envy is the reazon of other countries like Iran, like Syria ..like other parts and presidents whith a very short brain and no reality that the world changes ..nothing stay the same..!! progress will not stop and the voices of people will not shot up any more..they do not whant to be ignorant ..they do not ..whant to leave in a reapressed inviroment and be kept as slaves of a so call radical religion..whish the reall religion and belive is noble and peacefull and loving.

2.- I support our troops and our President.. he is not alone in hes descitions ..he have advisor and commanding officers who have failed hem and many people have failed the president..!!! we whant perfection .and he is not God ..he is a man whit the power on hes hands but like all of us he need people to fulfiil and guide the Country to hes best..!!!! he to me, has been a good president a noble one..becouse he cares about the familyes and mothers of our boys who have made the ultimate sacrifice for their Country.
I know many Gold star mothers and they all have agreed on the same ting..he has give the honor they deserve to all the mothers and familys of our fallen heroes. They to me are more important..what happen at home..stays at home.. and I donot remember any president being better or not making mistakes on their presidency..!!!

3.- Now that my son came back from hes first time over there..I know he suffers..but he suffers..becouse many children live in very bad poverty..many family's women and children suffer the consecuences of man ..that are destroying their towns ..their own people ..and our boys suffer becouse they whant to build back and make tings better for the people in iraq and they have to retaliate and destroy tings sometimes ..to protect them selfs and women and children to have the wright to go to school to have the right to pray whit out fear..and be who they really are ..people of peace and mind theyr oun lifes.. grow old and see their children become doctors lowyers teachers etc. My son like many others tink if they pull out at ones they are going to drestroy demselfs and kill one another ..and all the sacrifices they have done are going to be in bane..and the losses of their fellow Marines or Soldiers are not going to be fulfield..!!! Honor is what this Country have ..and I refuse to let the honor of my troops go to hell..!!! they fight for my freedom and other countries freedom ..and that is what make this country better and special..!!!

3.- Any parent of a fallen hero have the wright to tink and say what the please ..they hearn dat right ..!!! but also tink about the ones who still over there fighting for our right to be whith out terrorism in this soil ..to keep does very bad people, to keep trainig and making camps to create caos in other countries and other parts besides the United States of America.

5.- If you ask me ..I will tell yoou I do not know a ting ..but the hell I will not support to reduce our troops and keep them shorther and shorther .. just becouse you whant to save some money on my son's life ..who ever say that he will star bringing our troops little by little is my enemy.. save money on your oun pocket but protect our troops ..envolve the rest of the world to give money for the couse.. and if yoou will all know ..Marines are the one's at front if other brunches failed they will come and get the hold of the area and maket safer and if you put the preshure in our Marines ..the hell whith you .. they are the best .. but they are human ..they get tired and frustraded..!!! and nooooo I will not accept the reduction of our troops is all of them or no one..!!! insted increase to finish and clean the country and rebeald and let the rest of the world help..!!
I care about there feallings I care about what happen to all of them .but if i am to help I need to start in fix tings in my home and then I will help the rest .. becouse now I know how.
IT irritates me to leasent to the candidates talk about war ..and they talk bad.. !! divided country is not a good ting in time of this caos ..when I here any of them say..!!! Our troops ..your sons your husbands your family are and everyday danger .. and I support them .. and I will not put htem in more harm that what they allready are..I will ask really ask and leasent to them ..for them to finish whit this caos..!!! My country doesent run or hide or uses my political bieuss to ignore our man in uniform and to deshonor their sacrifices..!!! I will talk about it in clouse doors ..and never deminige my troops and their capabilities.. if like one candidate wil one to reduce our military man and get read of our military ..inside the united states.. we will be all det by now..and no freedom and sacrafices of our past heroes will matter ..to all the man who have fight in past any war ..!!! my respect my honor ..my many thank yous for ever..!!!

Then again .. I am just a civivlian a mother ..a human being that loves this country very much ..and our troops. Thank you for let me say my pace and my point of byew..

Love you all

Marine mom Ladymimi

DAMNPROUD
03-17-08, 08:01 AM
Ladyymimi, you are a true patriot with great wisdom.keep the faith the Marines will prevail.

keith