PDA

View Full Version : Here for such a time as this

thedrifter
03-06-08, 09:19 AM
Here for such a time as this
Lance Cpl. Thomas J. Hermesman

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. - (March, 06 2008) -- “Tarawa Terrace chapel is one of Camp Lejeune’s best hidden secrets. As I have said in the past, I say again, the Tarawa Terrace Chapel is a collection of ordinary people who come together to regularly to seek the face of an extraordinary God,” Chaplain Lt. Jones Ofuasia said.

Chaplain Ofuasia, is the lead Pastor of the Tarawa Terrace chapel and a key player with the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune Religious Ministry Team, where he works to provide, to facilitate, and to care for needs of Marines, Sailors and their families.

Born in Delta Nigeria, he moved to British Columbia in 1991 and then to the United States in 1994. He attended Concordia University in Portland Oregon where he earned a bachelor’s of science. Afterward he enrolled in Multnomah Bible Seminary in Portland, where he then earned a master’s degree. He continued his education with post grad schooling at Western Seminary also in Portland.

After joining the Navy Chaplains Corps, he was assigned 2nd Marine Division, where he started working with Marines right away. He served as Chaplain to 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, Base Landing Team 2/8, Head Quarters Battalion, and 3rd Battalion 10th Marine Regiment. After a three years tour of duty with the Division, Chaplain Ofuasia was reassigned to MCB Camp Lejeune.

“I have been working along side our Marines and sailors from the beginning, and although, I have been given the opportunity to go do something different but I have always chosen to stay with “the few and the proud,” Said Ofuasia. “I love it here and would not want to be anywhere else.” “After all, what could be more important than working to provide, to support, and to empower our Marines right here right now,” he said.

“It truly is my heart’s desire to do ministry and I will keep doing it for as long as the lord keeps the door open,” said Ofuasia.

Regular Sunday services at begin at 1030hrs on Sunday and there are a variety of mid-week services that take place.

Along with the normal schedule, special worship breakfasts happen as well as women’s services and men’s bible studies.

“It was been the best experience of my life doing this work, I love being able to serve service members,” explained Ofuasia.

“It has pleased the good Lord to put me here for such a time as this and I
would not want to be anywhere else.”

Ofuasia is married to Dianna a college math teacher who also works with Marines and their families; the Ofuasia’s have two children, Benjamin, their eight-year-old son and Olivia, their three-year-old daughter.

For more information on mid-week services or the Tarawa Terrace chapel, call 450-1529
This article is among a series of articles introducing local chaplains.

Ellie